PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge reading?

jtown
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
My gas gauge has been all over the place and is a little confusing to read. I have a 33 gallon tank on my 06' X1. Without turning the engine on, I turned the key to read how much gas was in the tank. It was just above empty, so I then added 15 gallons from tanks and checked it again. It was at full. Does this make sense? Also when riding and after riding it is quite different. I understand if it is on plane, but not if we are anchored.

tommcat
06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
just a word of advice, i went by the owners manual for tank capacity last weekend, bad idea. it says 32 gallons for my boat, it is way wrong. the tank holds 25 gallons

noose374
06-06-2006, 04:35 PM
My gas gauge has been all over the place and is a little confusing to read. I have a 33 gallon tank on my 06' X1. Without turning the engine on, I turned the key to read how much gas was in the tank. It was just above empty, so I then added 15 gallons from tanks and checked it again. It was at full. Does this make sense? Also when riding and after riding it is quite different. I understand if it is on plane, but not if we are anchored.

I have a similar problem. The gas gauge on my 2001 ProStar 190 only reads all the way full or all the way empty, there is no in between. When the gauge first reads empty the actuall tank level is at about half full. I'm vexed. Is there some kind of adjustment that can be made to the gague?

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
For me:
Gas gauge is reference only!
I always thought they could be trusted until I started reading online that they can be significantly innaccurate. So, on our former X10 I started checking visually thru the floor access. Then I started doing comparison of gauge vs. visual and they were pretty far off...even after having it 'serviced'.
I think it's been well documented on this site and MYMC site NOT to run these things too low on fuel and definitely don't run them out of fuel or your fuel pump will be on it's way out. What did MYMC say..."if you run it out of gas you have just pulled the pin from the grenade..."?
So...no more trusting gas gauge. Look and see.
Thanks,
Paul

jtown
06-06-2006, 05:06 PM
That is pretty beat to spend at least 50K on a boat and the gas guage can't work properly. I did not expect this from Mastercraft@! :mad:

rick s.
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
to me it's not a big deal to get down on my knees, open the inspection plate and look at the fuel level in the tank. While the inspection plate is open, I also take the opportunity to take a good look (& sniff) around.

I also keep a log of hours used, last fuel fill, how many gallons, etc. Helps me calculate fuel use when playing around on the water.

JimN
06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Get it fixed under warranty. It's a PITA to need to go in this soon but it won't cost you anything and it should work, after all.

agua4fun
06-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I have a similar problem. The gas gauge on my 2001 ProStar 190 only reads all the way full or all the way empty, there is no in between. When the gauge first reads empty the actuall tank level is at about half full. I'm vexed. Is there some kind of adjustment that can be made to the gague?

I also have a 2001 PS190 same issue. If i fill it on the trailer, it will run 5 hours without falling below full, then within 1 hour it will fall to empty. crazy! it seems worse this year than last. does that make sence?

noose374
06-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I also have a 2001 PS190 same issue. If i fill it on the trailer, it will run 5 hours without falling below full, then within 1 hour it will fall to empty. crazy! it seems worse this year than last. does that make sence?

It makes perfect sence to me. Last year the gauge would actually work like it should up until the 3/4 mark and then it would magically go to empty. I have just been using time as my gauge. Normally I can stay out for about 7 hours and still have around 1/6 of a tank left.

Maristar210
06-06-2006, 10:37 PM
My reading increases as you gain speed and then lowers as you return to idle. Last weekend I pushed it. It said just above the red line on plane and below empty on idle. I put 44.7 gallons in a 45 gallon tank we cut it real close - whew - :eek:

Steve

skitilldark
06-08-2006, 12:16 AM
I've run out of gas so many times because of my gas guage, all of my friends give me oars. I now have six of them! My guage reads fine until about half a tank. Anything below that and I'm in danger of running out of gas.

I'm really disappointed in MC's guage packages of late. they are very squirrely. On all of my older boats, the guages were always bullet proof. But these days I only hear bad things about oil pressure, gas,voltage, etc. I don't know if was when they went digital or not, they just don't seem as accurate or stable as older ones.