PDA

View Full Version : So you sell something on e-Bay and.... opinions needed

Maristar210
06-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Lets just say you sell an older motorcycle on e-Bay and it you ran it around the block so you stated it runs. A month later the buyer claims that it was misrepresented because it will not run. The item listed said: no warranty expressed or implied.

Does the buyer deserve his money back? Please vote !!!!

Steve

jraben8
06-06-2006, 01:14 PM
No warranty. Simple enough but if you feel that you should help them out to make it a pleasant experience for everyone then by all means.

Personally, I wouldn't expect the seller to help me if that were to happen. A month later I wouldn't take a car back to a dealership that explictly told me there was no warranty.

LakePirate
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I would imagine that the buyer picked up the motorcycle, I would also assume that the seller cranked the motorcycle in the buyers presence before the transaction was complete. If the two previous statements are correct, then the ball is in the buyers court. Too bad, soo sad. Is it your fault that the buyer didn't put sta-bil in the gas and it gummed up the carb?

rodltg2
06-06-2006, 01:23 PM
a month later is too long, who knows what the buyer may have done or not done.
i sold a motorcycle on ebay and it turred ugly.. i told the buyer i would be gone during a certain time. the buyer of course sets up the trucking company to pick it up when im gone. ( it took the buyer about 5 weeks to set it up). of course against my better judgement , i let the trucking company pick it up while i was gone. my gardener let him back. well needless to say they damaged the bike , the buyer blamed me , and i was out $400 and a huge headache... . i covered the cost even though they used there own shipping company, they damage it and they still leave me bad feedback. ill never sell an item like a boat , car etc on ebay sight unseen ever again...

bcampbe7
06-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree, no warranty=no warranty.
Not your problem.

Maristar210
06-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I would imagine that the buyer picked up the motorcycle, I would also assume that the seller cranked the motorcycle in the buyers presence before the transaction was complete. If the two previous statements are correct, then the ball is in the buyers court. Too bad, soo sad. Is it your fault that the buyer didn't put sta-bil in the gas and it gummed up the carb?

Actually I delivered the M.C. to him in 40 degree weather and sideways rain. When I delivered it to him I cranked it over and it fired momentarily and died. It was wet and cold and I said it runs but it's cold and may be a little cold blooded and he should just wait until the weather was better. Good Luck and you are welcome for me delivering it for free 50 miles from my home. Now a month later he files a claim with Paypal asking for his $835 refunded because the bike will not run??? He never contacted me to say he had any issues, he just filed a claim.

Steve

LakePirate
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I believe that I would file this in the people are crazy drawer.

What type of recourse do you have with paypal? I am not familiar.

BrianM
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
A month later I would tell the guy were he could shove that bike. If he would have called or e-mailed a couple of days later that would have been another story.

I sold a motorcycle in person through the paper once. The guy that bought it called me about three weeks later saying that the alternator light had started to come on and that I had to have know aout it when I sold it. The bike ran flawless when he took it for a test ride and bought it. I told him to bad and he should probably have the alternator replaced..

maristarman
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Since you asked........................

2 things you said have me curious.

"Lets just say you sell an older motorcycle on e-Bay and it you ran it around the block so you stated it runs."

If it took me hours of tinkering just to get it to the point where I could "run it around the block" and I could "state it runs" then I would say that you probably misrepresented things.

I'm not saying you did that, I'm just speaking in hypotheticals.

"When I delivered it to him I cranked it over and it fired momentarily and died. It was wet and cold and I said it runs but it's cold and may be a little cold blooded and he should just wait until the weather was better."

I used to ride so I know bikes can be tempermental, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking someones money selling them a bike that "fired momentarily".

I think he's responsible as well. I think the saying is "Caveat Emptor" which means "let the buyer beware".

I think he should have contacted you and tried to work something out with you rather than go right to paypal to complain.

Please don't flame me.

You asked for opinions, so I gave you mine.

rodltg2
06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
if he paid $800 for it, you get what you pay for

Ryan
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I didn't sell a motorcycle, it was a book and it got lost inthe mail. Truly. The USPS in Denver sent me a letter saying they found a messed up empty box with my return address on it - contents no where to be found. Paypal police were called in by the buyer and I had to pay them, out the shipping and out the book. It sucked. I did negotiate if I paid that no feedback would be left. I'm still 100% positive on feedback.

If he's filed a claim with Paypal be careful. I'd contact him and try to wrk something out. Paypal almost always sides with the buyer and can yank the funds back without askin'. Maybe you can work it out, hopefully keep the money and just get neg feedback. If you have 100+ transactions you could take it on the chin and not worry about the feedback, but it'll look pretty bad if you've only got 6 transactions - one negative will look real ugly.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
I think its up to the buyer to fix it. No warranty means no warranty. ITs a used $800 bike. if it was listed as NO WARRANTY, then that means no warranty. the seller could have not bought it if he didnt feel comfortable, or he could have asked to have it inspected by a 3rd party mechanic. But for him to file a claim with Paypal WITHOUT even contacting the seller seems fishy to me. That sounds like a scammer trying to get a free bike IMO.... IF he contacted the seller and said "hey, ya know I am having problems here and since the bike didnt run perfect at the time of sale, can we work something out here? this is what an independant shop said is wrong and what it will cost to fix." if they would have approached it like that, Its less suspicsous. :twocents:

BTW threadjack, Lakey your new avatar is AWESOME!!!! :headbang:

Maristar210
06-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I believe that I would file this in the people are crazy drawer.

What type of recourse do you have with paypal? I am not familiar.

Paypal will decide if the case warrants a refund and if so the bike will be returned and my checking account will be debited the amount refunded without my permission. In the mean time Paypal has placed a pending amount of the same against my checking account in case the "verdict" should go against me. It seems that he file a claim with E-bay as well and there has been no response from e-Bay either.

Steve

Diesel
06-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Paypal will decide if the case warrants a refund and if so the bike will be returned and my checking account will be debited the amount refunded without my permission. In the mean time Paypal has placed a pending amount of the same against my checking account in case the "verdict" should go against me. It seems that he file a claim with E-bay as well and there has been no response from e-Bay either.

Steve

Call the bank and block paypal from extracting money from your account. Same thing with any CC on file with paypal. It would be better to close both accounts if possible. Paypal will yank the money and the guy can/will keep the cycle. Paypal always protects the buyer regardless of the circumstances and does not care if the item is returned or not..........

read here www.paypalsucks.com

Maristar210
06-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Since you asked........................

2 things you said have me curious.

"Lets just say you sell an older motorcycle on e-Bay and it you ran it around the block so you stated it runs."

If it took me hours of tinkering just to get it to the point where I could "run it around the block" and I could "state it runs" then I would say that you probably misrepresented things.

I'm not saying you did that, I'm just speaking in hypotheticals.

"When I delivered it to him I cranked it over and it fired momentarily and died. It was wet and cold and I said it runs but it's cold and may be a little cold blooded and he should just wait until the weather was better."

I used to ride so I know bikes can be tempermental, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking someones money selling them a bike that "fired momentarily".

I think he's responsible as well. I think the saying is "Caveat Emptor" which means "let the buyer beware".

I think he should have contacted you and tried to work something out with you rather than go right to paypal to complain.

Please don't flame me.

You asked for opinions, so I gave you mine.

When I got the bike the battery was dead. I replaced the battery with a new one, drained the tank and put in fresh gas and it fired right up. There was no majic performed. I rode it around the block a few times and even considered keeping it for a few days until my wife told me to sell it. At the delivery I was kind enough to deliver it to him because he had no way of getting it and said he did not feel he was good enough rider to ride it home. I never asked for gas money and he never offered. It was very cold so I touched it off and it did run momentarily. It would have re started I am alomst positive but I said here man it's cold, I did you a favor by delevering it to you for free so I'm gonna head out. We shook hands and I left.

Steve

Ryan
06-06-2006, 03:01 PM

Steve

At least you get the bike back. Then you can re-list it go through all of this again. :D I'd put it on Craigslist next time.

etduc
06-06-2006, 03:59 PM
...... I was kind enough to deliver it to him because he had no way of getting it and said he did not feel he was good enough rider to ride it home. ........ RED FLAG!

This statement, says it all. The guy doesn't know motorcycles. He's not mechanically knowledgeable, or broke. He's potentially going to hurt himself, someone else,or the bike. Guaranteed you'll be left holding the bag. Right now, he's got your motorcycle and money. Go get the bike, and let paypal refund. (Don't refund cash.)

Next time state, "Sold as is, where is. Buyer to pick up." (Make no exceptions)

Buy the way. Paypal/Ebay, makes money both ways, on this deal. You need to cut your lost, asap.

I learnt this lesson, the hard way.

et

NeilM
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Only you know if you were out to deceive in the first place -- we'll assume you weren't.

Be as up front and open with PayPal as you can. Tell them the story you've just told us...
If they've already flagged your account, you will have trouble doing as Diesel suggests -- they'll hold onto that money even if you do close it.

BTW - Caveat Emptor means exactly that - the onus is on the buyer.

After a month, I don't know how he thinks he has any recourse -- it could have been running for 29 days then blew up.

Try getting that kind of settlement from a used car dealer -- the second you drive it off the lot, you're screwed..

peason
06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
No warranty - easier said than accepted if I was the one on the other end. Of Course, I would most likely want to see a purchase of this kind in person - to make sure it runs.

Mi.mc
06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
did the add insinuate anything along the lines of the bike starting easily/ running well?

erkoehler
06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
His fault for not looking the bike over better.

Maristar210
06-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Only you know if you were out to deceive in the first place -- we'll assume you weren't.

Be as up front and open with PayPal as you can. Tell them the story you've just told us...
If they've already flagged your account, you will have trouble doing as Diesel suggests -- they'll hold onto that money even if you do close it.

BTW - Caveat Emptor means exactly that - the onus is on the buyer.

After a month, I don't know how he thinks he has any recourse -- it could have been running for 29 days then blew up.

Try getting that kind of settlement from a used car dealer -- the second you drive it off the lot, you're screwed..

The M.C. listing stated "I have ridden the bike, it runs well and shifts through all the gears. However, there are no warranties expressed or implied. The bike is sold as is where is. Remember you are bidding on a bike that is 26 years old and considered an antique".

I appreciate your candid comments, really, I do. We'll see what happens. BTW My feedback is 175 positive with 2 negatives. One for a retalitory negative of nonpayment and the other because I would not cash a cash advance CC check. Other than that my feedback is filled with "better than expected" comments. Again we'll see.....

Thanks - Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Steve, If you do get it back....

How much do you want for it now......:rolleyes: :D

06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Steve, If you do get it back....

How much do you want for it now......:rolleyes: :D
Back off WFT, I already bid $3.99 on it. ;)

and thats my final offer!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Back off WFT, I already bid $3.99 on it. ;)

and thats my final offer!
You've got sales to make, you aren't going anywhere.
I however would pick it up and meet Hoosier Bob over at the badlands for some fine tuning on that machine.....

Leroy
06-07-2006, 10:43 AM
The guy is being a weenie, for that price you get what you get. If you are buying in that price range you better know what you are doing and have some mechanical ability or else the shop fees will eat you alive!

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Mari, just tell the guy to shampoo your crotch. What a joke, after owning it a month he thinks he should get his money back because he broke it?

Maristar210
07-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Just FYI. Today I received notification that the buyers claim has been denied. Thirty some days later my Paypal account has been refunded and is now back in the black. Kind of a PIA but it all worked out well.

Steve

07-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear it worked out Steve :D

Workin' 4 Toys
07-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Waiting that long doesn't seem like it "worked out", sorry to hear of the troubles.
So they ended up keeping the bike?

Maristar210
07-10-2006, 08:03 AM
WFT,

Yes he had no choice since his claim was denied. I have had no contact with him other than the contact my fists would like to make with his jaw....ooops did I say that?

Steve