PDA

View Full Version : Powerslot upgrade ?

crdickey
10-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Is it possible and just exactly what's involved in upgrading a 2003 PS-197 from the standard transmission to a Powerslot?

Different Prop?
Different drive shaft & coupling?
Different shaft seal?
Different strut?
Different rudder?

Are the benefits worth the expense.

Preditor motor

Strictly slalom use

JimN
10-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Everything you listed needs to be changed. Is yours lacking that much acceleration that you think you need more of a hole shot? Maybe you could call Indmar and see if they have a recal that would help. They're in Corona, so you wouldn't need to go far.

crdickey
10-14-2004, 02:32 AM
Everything you listed needs to be changed. Is yours lacking that much acceleration that you think you need more of a hole shot? Maybe you could call Indmar and see if they have a recal that would help. They're in Corona, so you wouldn't need to go far.

Never driven or skied one with a Powerslot, which is why I was asking about the benefits. I have been teaching recently at a ski school which has 4 Ski Nautique's of various ages and all have reduction gear transmissions. They do seem to have a better hole shot, not that I'm not happy with my MC, and seem to use less gas. I've read a couple posts here and am curious to hear what's involved and what the bebefits are.

What's a recal?

JimN
10-14-2004, 05:50 AM
Recal is ECM recalibration, although I don't know if they have any that will improve yours since it is a 2003. They make changes to the programs occasionally and if it's something that many boat owners will benefit from, they will make it available through the dealer network. Sometimes there is a performance issue that was unforseen during testing and they will have the dealers update the program after the company contacts the customers who have the affected boats. Most recals have to do with fuel delivery and timing under load/acceleration or temperature extremes.

If you do go with the Powerslot, you need to change everything from the transmission all the way to the prop and possibly a recal too, since the load on the motor changes with gear reduction.

stevo137
10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
I had a significant increase in hole shot when I changed props.
I changed to an Ambush 13x13 4 blade and am going to try the Acme next season.
I lost a little top end and seem to have more turbulence and tail when starting up but am very happy with the performance and hole shot.

crdickey
10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Recal is ECM recalibration, although I don't know if they have any that will improve yours since it is a 2003. They make changes to the programs occasionally and if it's something that many boat owners will benefit from, they will make it available through the dealer network. Sometimes there is a performance issue that was unforseen during testing and they will have the dealers update the program after the company contacts the customers who have the affected boats. Most recals have to do with fuel delivery and timing under load/acceleration or temperature extremes.

If you do go with the Powerslot, you need to change everything from the transmission all the way to the prop and possibly a recal too, since the load on the motor changes with gear reduction.

What would you guess the market would be for the used equipment if I decided to change out / upgrade to a Powerslot or their new 1.23:1 Trans?

JimN
10-20-2004, 11:51 AM
You should have no trouble selling it on ebay or any other site like that. Even Boattrader has a section for selling parts. Just look at the prices for used parts to get what you can for whatever you sell.

sandsslot
10-20-2004, 07:05 PM
My 93 S&S has a slot - and I looked long and hard for it. Regardless of the peak power level (which is measured at the high-end of the torque), it provides that effortless launch with added hystersis.

captkidd
10-21-2004, 11:30 AM
If the shaft is a different size, is this going to be a problem with the hole where it goes through the hull?

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Surely that's just a fitting that will need to be swapped. I can't imagine that they'd make an entirely different hull. It's just 1/8" difference afterall.

tph
10-21-2004, 11:44 AM
If the shaft is a different size, is this going to be a problem with the hole where it goes through the hull?

The shaft is only 1/8 of an inch larger and the hole in the hull is fairly sizable. I would be suprised if the hole was different for the powerslot vs. the 1:1.

crdickey
10-22-2004, 06:17 PM
If I do this it will be this January, so I'll have a bunch of relatively new (55 hrs) parts, 1:1 trans, Spline Prop, Spline Shaft, Shaft coupling, etc.

Anybody interested in them? I live in Lake Elsinore, CA - So. Cal