PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Repair/ Crack/Paint question

WVUSKI
06-06-2006, 10:16 AM
I recently purchased an '89 tristar that has some cracks on the top of the bow. These are basically only cosmetic, but I would really like to get the boat looking as good as possible. From searching and reading, looks like many frown on the use of paint for MC's. I am also interested in changing the color of the gelcoat paint stripe on the side and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for that or what my options are for restoring this boat. Thanks!

jimmer2880
06-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I recently purchased an '89 tristar that has some cracks on the top of the bow. These are basically only cosmetic, but I would really like to get the boat looking as good as possible. From searching and reading, looks like many frown on the use of paint for MC's. I am also interested in changing the color of the gelcoat paint stripe on the side and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for that or what my options are for restoring this boat. Thanks!

where are you located?

I know a great shop outside of Washington DC

WVUSKI
06-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm located in Clarksburg, WV (near Morgantown). DC wouldn't be too far of a drive but I'd like to keep it fairly local if possible. I would be interested in the name/number of the shop if you don't mind. Thanks!

bigmac
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM

My understanding is that the gel coat stripe, even on boats of that vintage, is actually part of the gel coat and is the full thickness of the gel coat on the rest of the hull. Usually, the gel coat, stripes and all, is the first layer sprayed on the hull mold. I'm thinking that changing the color of the stripe would be a big gel coat job. Maybe it's applied differently on your 89, though...

Gel coat restoration, gouges and scratches, is a tricky job and IMHO, something you'd want done by somebody expert in that technique. Most people with boats for any length of time have a "gel coat guy" that they know of who specializes in that stuff. If you don't know one, I'd call around to a few boat dealers and ask them who they recommend.

WVUSKI
06-06-2006, 08:46 PM
thanks for the advice bigmac. I kind of figured from browsing the forum that changing the color might be a bad idea. Maybe I should stick with the current color and get someone to wet sand and polish the boat.

bigmac
06-06-2006, 09:06 PM
thanks for the advice bigmac. I kind of figured from browsing the forum that changing the color might be a bad idea. Maybe I should stick with the current color and get someone to wet sand and polish the boat.

Look at this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8349&highlight=beautification) here on TMC. Some great information on DIY restoration from Wakescene...he has a very thorough .pdf file of the process HERE (http://www.wakescene.com/projects/My%20beautification%20project.pdf)

jimmer2880
06-07-2006, 06:46 AM
I'm located in Clarksburg, WV (near Morgantown). DC wouldn't be too far of a drive but I'd like to keep it fairly local if possible. I would be interested in the name/number of the shop if you
don't mind. Thanks!

Basically - look at a map of the DC area. He is just south of where 495 & 95 meet. He did about $2,000 worth of work to my '95 last year & did an awesome job. He builds boats in the off-season, does repairs when it's warm. Also, does some awesome work on Harleys.

The owner is Ray
Fiber Glass Fabricators
13600 King Charles Terrace
Fort Washington, MD 20744
(301) 292-1721

Directons (for me - anyway)
495 S (Virginia Way)
Cross Woodrow Wilson
210 S. Indian Head Hwy
5th Traffic Light - Rt on Ft. Washington Rd
3 miles, down big hill, Left at bottom of hill Warborton, follow into marina, go to boat garage

jimmer2880
06-07-2006, 06:49 AM
So - do you boat on the Yough, or on Deep Creek? My ex-inlaws used to have a place on the Yough lake/dam. Real nice area up there.

WVUSKI
06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
So - do you boat on the Yough, or on Deep Creek? My ex-inlaws used to have a place on the Yough lake/dam. Real nice area up there.

I actually do most of my boating on Summersville Lake. It is in the central part of WV where I grew up. I also go to Tygart as well. I've heard that Deep Creek really gets crowded, and I didn't realize there was a lake on the Yough. I've been to OhioPyle...it is pretty cool.

jimmer2880
06-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I actually do most of my boating on Summersville Lake. It is in the central part of WV where I grew up. I also go to Tygart as well. I've heard that Deep Creek really gets crowded, and I didn't realize there was a lake on the Yough. I've been to OhioPyle...it is pretty cool.

Ohh - cool. I didn't realize those other places were there.

The Yough is pretty good. The ski'able part starts in Friendsville, MD & goes north to the dam (in PA). About 10 miles I think. Very deep. Problem is that the Army core of engineers start to drain the lake early July, so some of the ramps in the Friendsville area are un-reachable by late July/early August. But - the lake still has plenty of water in other areas though.

WVUSKI
06-07-2006, 12:50 PM
The Yough is pretty good. The ski'able part starts in Friendsville, MD & goes north to the dam (in PA). About 10 miles I think. Very deep. Problem is that the Army core of engineers start to drain the lake early July, so some of the ramps in the Friendsville area are un-reachable by late July/early August. But - the lake still has plenty of water in other areas though.

Approximately how wide is the Yough? That sounds like an option I may try at some point. It would be a pretty long trip for you but I would definitely recommend Summersville Lake if your ever down that way. Later in the summer is usually better as the crowds die down. Very scenic with lots of cliffs/high rock outcroppings.