PDA

View Full Version : Composite Props???

6ballsisall
06-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Just curious why no one makes composite props for our type of application. They have the ability to make the strength for our HP applications and even drag boats are using them now. Anyone ever heard of this for an inboard?

rick s.
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I know that composite shafts are used on really big boats (to reduce weight), and certainly composite props would be possible but would be really, really expensive.

88 PS190
06-06-2006, 05:30 PM
I've definately seen them for I/O's, my thoughts are 1 cost, and 2 small hub size on inboards w/ relatively large unsuported blade area.

Look at most composite props and i'd imagine they're for applications where blade length from the hub isn't so large.

rick s.
06-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I guess I was thinking that composite = kevlar / carbon fiber / exotic materials. They do make non-metal props with snap-in / snap-out blades for ob's and (I think) io's.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Composite props would be nice, however, I'd still like to think I'd go with a polished stainless if I had to chose between those two.
Let us know if you do run across one...If I had to guess, there are probably some in R/D somewhere out there...

Ryan
06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
The Comp props for I/O's can be had for very little $. It would be great to carry a spare for a DD.

Ric
06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
I thought a pilot once told me that the composite prop on his extra couldn't be flown in the rain or it would disentigrate... I applied the thought to an inboard and dropped it entirely. (no facts to back up this statement whatsoever!!)

kpickett
06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
I used a composite prop (Pirhana) on my Sanger. It was fantastic - best prop I ever used. It had the interchangeable blades, so when I had a ton of people out, I'd just drop down a pitch. Also, when I hit a submerged log, the blades just sheared off. I popped them out and replaced them, and we were on our way. I can't say enough good things about them for an I/O or outboard.