PDA

View Full Version : In Season Slalom Training - Slackline and Bosu Balance

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 01:30 AM
after checkin' out Marcus Brown's site really buying into his balance concept and building up the core: http://p097.ezboard.com/fmarcusbrownfrm8.showMessage?topicID=7.topic

has anyone else given the Slackline or Bosu Balance a try???

BOSUŽ Sports Conditioning Skiing & Snowboarding
http://www.bosupro.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=bosupro/itemdetl.html?item=10875-8VBP2

Article on Slackline
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/04/AR2006050402005.html

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 01:38 AM
here's the details on building your own: http://www.slackline.net/basics.html

88 PS190
06-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Slack lining is great fun, though be careful, and take it slowly at first, no jumping turns or anything.

I personally have the most difficulty w/ ankle stability. In my hardshells its not an issue so much, but i still worry about injury to them since i've had chronic ankle issues for years. The slacklining and many of the balance board type things can help target this and build stability. For the core and knee as well.

PS tubing is not in season training but more a way to destroy your body...

just a thought.

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Slack lining is great fun, though be careful, and take it slowly at first, no jumping turns or anything.

I personally have the most difficulty w/ ankle stability. In my hardshells its not an issue so much, but i still worry about injury to them since i've had chronic ankle issues for years. The slacklining and many of the balance board type things can help target this and build stability. For the core and knee as well.

PS tubing is not in season training but more a way to destroy your body...

just a thought.
did you build your own slackline setup???really want to try my own, going to stop at a local climbing gym and see what they got...

#47of100TeamMC
06-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Is the Slack line what Jamie Beauchesne was standing on in the "edged in water" video? basically like a tight rope? I think that would just end in frustration for me... cuz there's no way I could actually stand on it.

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Is the Slack line what Jamie Beauchesne was standing on in the "edged in water" video? basically like a tight rope? I think that would just end in frustration for me... cuz there's no way I could actually stand on it.
EXACTLY...but how many of us thought we could never do a deepwater footin' start or run a 36mph pass...the concept totally makes sense, build the inner core and improve balance...

#47of100TeamMC
06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I suppose a guy could start with holding a long pole for balance like in the circus... But geez I just can't imagine being able to stand there... I suppose the tighter the line... the easier it would be for stability.

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I suppose a guy could start with holding a long pole for balance like in the circus... But geez I just can't imagine being able to stand there... I suppose the tighter the line... the easier it would be for stability.
most of these guys are walking on wide straps, not ropes...makes things easier...

#47of100TeamMC
06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
most of these guys are walking on wide straps, not ropes...makes things easier...

Good point... maybe a guy could use a ratchet strap and cinch it between 2 trees... that could work.

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Good point... maybe a guy could use a ratchet strap and cinch it between 2 trees... that could work.
i was actually contemplating that!!!

88 PS190
06-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Its not hard to set up for slack lining if you visit a local climbing shop, and if you find a guy who looks like he enjoys the reefer you'll be set up in no time, and then he'll probably wanna hang out w/ you.

Climbing webbing is typically thinner than ratchet strap webbing, and alot softer against your skin (still very durable)

Easy set up really.

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Its not hard to set up for slack lining if you visit a local climbing shop, and if you find a guy who looks like he enjoys the reefer you'll be set up in no time, and then he'll probably wanna hang out w/ you.

Climbing webbing is typically thinner than ratchet strap webbing, and alot softer against your skin (still very durable)

Easy set up really.
heading to a climbing jim up the road from my work, so we'll see what Bob Marley has to offer!!!

shepherd
06-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Easy set up really.

I was thinking ratchet strap too. I figured it would be cheaper than climbing gear and easier to set up - just wrap around a tree or post at each end and ratchet it tight. The wider webbing would probably be better for a beginner anyway(?). I think my feet can handle rougher webbing as long as I'm not spending hours a day on it.

Besides, there's no local climbing shop around here.

88 PS190
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
eh, the ratchet strap doesn't provide protection to the trees bark which is analogous to your skin... it keeps infections and infestations out of the inner tissues of the tree. So its important to protect.

I also don't know about the stretch caracteristics of a ratchet strap. Climbing webbing isn't "zero" stretch, but has some give to it.