PDA

View Full Version : sponsoring a race car

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
today some kid who races modifieds' here locally came by my office to solicite a sponsorship. anyone done something like this? would it be to help someguy out or do you actualy get some business from it. my concern though ( not to sound rude ) is that most the people who go the races are not my target customers...

PendO
06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
today some kid who races modifieds' here locally came by my office to solicite a sponsorship. anyone done something like this? would it be to help someguy out or do you actualy get some business from it. my concern though ( not to sound rude ) is that most the people who go the races are not my target customers...

neighbor owns a body shop / towing company / repo business ... he sponsored my brothers American Legion team a few years ago ... sponsorship led to only a few new customers ... 20+ years ago my dad sponsored (thru resturants) a softball team for a few years ... simmilar results ... probably like you said, not much of an advertising avenue, but it would depend on how much space on the car you get

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I think the biggest reason smaller companies do this is the tax write off. If he is not looking for a lot of money, have your accountant run the cost vs. the tax break add in a little advertising and see how you come out.

erkoehler
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
How much of a financial "donation" is he looking for?

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 07:58 PM
dont know yet, he didnt make it passed my receptionist. you got to be pretty smooth to get by her if your a salesman. he dropped off a resume. it looks like he's got three packages.

1) full car sponsor where the whole car is painted wiht company colors .
2) hood , door or rear end, 6 public apperances
3) smaller logo 2 public appearances

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 08:01 PM
You could go with package 2 and have him out at the houseboat 6 weekends

Or better yet, have him pull the car in front of what ever house you are installing that week.

Ric
06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
we did it but the driver owner is a customer .

I doubt the fans seeing my logo will bring any biz but I dont know.

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
You could go with package 2 and have him out at the houseboat 6 weekends

Or better yet, have him pull the car in front of what ever house you are installing that week.

i bet my customers would love that :guitar:

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 08:14 PM
He could crank it up and take a few laps around the neighborhood

I bet the homeowners committee would recommend you all over town.

Ric
06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
He could crank it up and take a few laps around the neighborhood

I bet the homeowners committee would recommend you all over town.
publicity is publicity :rolleyes:

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 08:17 PM
our installers are scary looking enough.. :D

jmyers
06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
our installers are scary looking enough.. :D
GRANITE it could be a good idea though Rod! :uglyhamme

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 08:23 PM
GRANITE it could be a good idea though Rod! :uglyhamme

ouch, that was bad

Datdude
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
My boss sponsored a friend of his that raced in a local dirt track series in the area a few years ago. As far as I know we did not gain anything because of the sponsorship. We are in a similar situation in that we sell high end products (docks and boat lifts) and that was not our target market. On the other hand it feels good to help others out and it might be an excuse to go watch a few races? In my opinion it comes down to how much coin the dude is looking for

Hoosier Bob
06-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I would review the potential first. If they were a bunch of rich kids their parents would have taken care of the situation. The stereotypical oval track patron probably doesn't plan on putting high end granite countertops in their doublewide. I still think there may be a market though. Can you fabricate any garden figurines? Take your scraps and a crystal globe and incorporate that into a wonderful garden nik nac! Maybe some granite stepping stones with all of the current NASCAR participants numbers engraved (collect all 44)! Headstones? Anything to do with beer. Granite beer coasters, we all know how that pressboard gets destroyed by not using coasters! If you just want to help the kid out that would be cool to. :D

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 10:39 PM
I would review the potential first. If they were a bunch of rich kids their parents would have taken care of the situation. The stereotypical oval track patron probably doesn't plan on putting high end granite countertops in their doublewide. I still think there may be a market though. Can you fabricate any garden figurines? Take your scraps and a crystal globe and incorporate that into a wonderful garden nik nac! Maybe some granite stepping stones with all of the current NASCAR participants numbers engraved (collect all 44)! Headstones? Anything to do with beer. Granite beer coasters, we all know how that pressboard gets destroyed by not using coasters! If you just want to help the kid out that would be cool to. :D

lmao....................... :uglyhamme

erkoehler
06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
lmao....................... :uglyhamme

Um, I think he was serious...... :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
06-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Put me down for one granite Garden Gnome and a Jeff Gordon stepping stone! :D Um, I think he was serious...... :rolleyes:

goplay
06-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I used to race fairly seriously and I don't believe there is real value in sponsorship unless the race series is well attended. So unless the racer is racing in a pro series, don't expect any return on your advertising dollar.

Many racers right up to the pro ranks have "sponsorships" but they are mostly tax right offs from the racer's owned business or family or friend who is an enthusiast. This is money that would have been spent racing but is shown as an advertising business expense.

So sponsor him if you want to pay for his expensive hobby but don't be lulled into thinking you'll be getting a big return on your advertising dollar.

(Totally separate discussion for advertising value at the epitome of pro racing. Nascar, for example, has shown there is a multiplicative return on the dollar).

rodltg2
06-06-2006, 12:38 AM
i probably wont do it , if it was someon i at least knew i would consider it..

erkoehler
06-06-2006, 12:51 AM
i probably wont do it , if it was someon i at least knew i would consider it..

So, are you going to tell us the prices?

rodltg2
06-06-2006, 01:25 AM
i dont know them, like i said earlier he didnt make it past the front desk. if im interested i would have to call..

erkoehler
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
It might be atleast worth the phone call.....who knows, it might be cheaper than you think.

Remember, charity/donations usually pay off ten fold :)

goplay
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
It might be atleast worth the phone call.....who knows, it might be cheaper than you think.

This would not be a charity. This is a sponsorship for someone's hobby.

No different then if you were to pay for someone's boating bill by putting your logo on their boat.

erkoehler
06-06-2006, 12:02 PM
This would not be a charity. This is a sponsorship for someone's hobby.

No different then if you were to pay for someone's boating bill by putting your logo on their boat.

He knows what I meant, he's helping someone out......usually that comes back to you in a positive way.

I just choose the wrong word.

Leroy
06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
That is too funny Bob!

How many people at the races, how many races does he do and what is his record? Will people see the checkered flag on "your" car?

Hoosier Bob
06-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Unless it goes to Erk then you out time, money and TWO SHIRTS! :confused: It might be atleast worth the phone call.....who knows, it might be cheaper than you think.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 09:34 AM
The stereotypical oval track patron probably doesn't plan on putting high end granite countertops in their doublewide.
It's a good thing not all of us attendees fit your stereotype.......I've got ubatuba look-a-like laminate in my double wide double decker....8p And we use Teak coasters to protect the structural integrity...

The last time I was approached for a sponsorship, it was for a topless womens beach volleyball team.......We gave them t-shirts..:o