PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Know About Speakers

wakebroad
06-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't know much, but I know the Clarions we have now can't handle what we want (meaning my husband). He wants to hear music while wakeboarding. I have to hold my ears now!

It sounds so distorted now. Is it going to be better if we get better speakers??? He wants to do it and I don't know if it's a good idea. He doesn't know anymore than I do. :rolleyes:
Thanks

bcampbe7
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know much, but I know the Clarions we have now can't handle what we want (meaning my husband). He wants to hear music while wakeboarding. I have to hold my ears now!

It sounds so distorted now. Is it going to be better if we get better speakers??? He wants to do it and I don't know if it's a good idea. He doesn't know anymore than I do. :rolleyes:
Thanks

I would imagine that you could upgrade your tower speakers and be fine. If he just wants to hear it while boarding then there is no reason to upgrade the entire system.

You may want to look at the JL Audio equipment on the new boats. It is suppose to sound much better.

On another note, we rode behind an '03 X7 this weekend and you could here the tunes just fine at the end of the line.

dapicatti
06-05-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks

We were told by a MC dealer (not ours) that if the rider wanted to hear tunes, you needed 4 speakers. We went with 2 tower speakers and you can hear great on our 06 X-2. We couldn't justify the extra $$ for 2 more speakers..... :twocents:

bcampbe7
06-05-2006, 04:42 PM
I should have added that the X7 we rode behind had 4 tower speakers.

AZHAWK
06-05-2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks
Hey wakebroad, we upgraded the system in the X30. If we happen to see you at Bartlett we'll let you take a listen. I think you'll be impressed. It is a big improvement over the stock tower set up. It wasn't cheap but then again neither is a mastercraft. A rockin' boat needs to have a rockin' system. Period. ;)

MYMC
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I would imagine that you could upgrade your tower speakers and be fine. If he just wants to hear it while boarding then there is no reason to upgrade the entire system.

You may want to look at the JL Audio equipment on the new boats. It is suppose to sound much better.

On another note, we rode behind an '03 X7 this weekend and you could here the tunes just fine at the end of the line.
I think you mean JL Audio...not JBL.

justinlkgb
06-05-2006, 05:09 PM
I used to have a boat with a tower and I used a cheap $300.00 amp from BB. Still works to this day and is 3 years old. We used two (2) 6x 9's on the tower. These were pioneers. Cheap but very effective. We were able to hear it just fine, so were alot of people on shore, most didn't care, in fact they wanted us to turn it up louder. Have you tried messing with the gain on the amp? Or maybe the EQ on the head unit? Mine would get distorted if it wasn't on the excite setting(low bass) just thought I would throw in my :twocents:

RobertT
06-05-2006, 05:12 PM
If I were to do it all over again, I would still have tower speakers but they would be pointed down towards the cabin of the boat and towards the rear platform...not straight back. I would have 2 pointed straight down and two pointing towards the rear with a downward slant. To hear music while going 25mph jumping the wake...and traveling way out on each side, you have to have it crazy loud. Barefooting or slalom skiing....forgeetaboudit.

I have 4 polk momos on my tower, and all that loudness is useless as everyone inside the boat would have their hair blown off.

I would make the tower speakers sound perfect inside the boat....then spend 300 bucks on a ipod with a waterproof enclosure like the H20 case.

Perfect sound, loud as you want, much superior.

Much cheaper too!!!

Most will not agree with me on this, but its my observations.

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
i can hear mine no problem slalom skiing. i dont like to though, but sometimes my driver gets to excited with the radio..

jmyers
06-05-2006, 05:25 PM
i can hear mine no problem slalom skiing. i dont like to though, but sometimes my driver gets to excited with the radio..
You are right Rod, sometime's the driver and passengers can't hear a skiier(me) when I try to tell them something! :mad:

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 05:29 PM
im sure that can be tough to , but i dont need to communicate with the driver . it's just a bit distracting when your pulling out for the gates and the stereo all of a sudden fires on playing " my humps" . i guess thats what i get for using a wakeboarder to drive for me sometimes,...

wakebroad
06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey wakebroad, we upgraded the system in the X30. If we happen to see you at Bartlett we'll let you take a listen. I think you'll be impressed. It is a big improvement over the stock tower set up. It wasn't cheap but then again neither is a mastercraft. A rockin' boat needs to have a rockin' system. Period. ;)

We do have 4 speakers already on the tower. We had thought about doing a waterproof deal with headphones for the wakeboarder. Can't remember why that was voted out by my husband. Probably didn't involve spending thousands of dollars (laughing hysterically... Man, I crack myself up.)

I will be lookin' for ya at Bartlett, Azhawk.
8p

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM
safety reasons :confused:

AZHAWK
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
You are right Rod, sometime's the driver and passengers can't hear a skiier(me) when I try to tell them something! :mad:
That's what the mute button is for. :D

We use hand signs to communicate for the most part. If I point at my ears etc. the driver knows to hit the mute button so we can talk. Our hand sign system is simple and it works well for us. "My humps" has to be playing before your'e settin' up, that way there is no distraction - rodltg2.

Gotta have the tunes bumpin'!!!!!!

BTW, we have our tower speakers set so we can fade out the boat speakers if necessary. The tower speakers fire the sound out toward the rider/skier. It is really not that loud when your in the boat. That way the peeps in the boat aren't being blasted out. :eek:

wakebroad
06-05-2006, 06:15 PM
I agree you gotta have the tunes.

We keep it faded to the towers when boarding. I'm hoping that if we get the high dollar speakers, the sound will be better and won't hurt as much. I have very sensitive ears. :( I worry about the dogs ears too. She doesn't look like she's having fun. But then she never does...

Workin' 4 Toys
06-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I knew that...... But it would only be because of the posters!!!!;)

jlf
06-06-2006, 08:43 AM
We have four of the JL audio speakers on our tower and you can hear the music loud and clear while riding with no distortion. To make it easier to talk in the boat we put our tower speakers on an accessory switch so we can turn the tower speakers off when no one is riding, it is a bit more peaceful for the rest of the lake too. It is all only the MC factory stuff and we think it is pretty good. I am sure there is better out there, but we are fine with what we have.

bcampbe7
06-06-2006, 09:52 AM

That's what I said, JL Audio... ;) :D

jtown
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
I just ordered Audioformz Polk 6x9 tower speakers with enclosures. Hopefully I will be able to hear them when wakeboarding. In addition I am going to add a fader for the tower speakers and I mounted my Ipod on the dash for the driver to control the overall volume.

phecksel
06-07-2006, 11:47 AM

Thanks
Distorted probably means clipping, which is huge potential for blown speakers.

Speakers are likely to only be part of the picture, you're going to need more power, argh, argh, argh :)

matgyver
06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
You can make the Clarion speakers sound reasonable at loud volume levels, but not with the stock Clarion amp and the stock wiring configuration.

The first thing you have to do to get the tower speakers sounding better is to have each speaker wired to its own amp channel. My four tower speakers came from the factory wired in parallel. I can't say they wire all the boats this way--maybe just mine.

The stock Clarion amp works ok, but you can push the Clarion speakers pretty hard. I replaced all my Clarion amps with JL 300/4s. It puts out 75 watts RMS per channel. I run my stereo at ear piercing levels and have not killed one of the speakers yet. I run three amps total, 1 for the tower speaker (JL 300/4) one for the boat speakers (JL 300/4) and I retained the stock clarion amp for the sub.

The JL speakers are a really good choice if you what a change them out. One thing to think about is the marine version everyone is referring to is not a standard 6.5in like the Clarion. You would have to change speaker cans to use the big 7in JL marine speakers. JL is making a coaxial 6.5 version, but you would have to figure out what to do with your tweeter mounts on your cans since your speakers are a component design.

My Clarion setup can be heard loud and clear at 85 feet back while wakeboarding--just took a couple of new amps and some tuning.

Hope this helps.

ridehype4life
06-07-2006, 09:58 PM
We have 2 factory JL tower speakers and you definately can hear them whilie riding. It is, though, unpleasant to ride in the boat with the volume up that loud. Does the fader on the stock head unit fade between the 4 speakers in the boat and the 2 on the tower or by some other way??

That would be great if im right; then you could crank the tower speakers up for the rider and have the others quieter.

Thanks

AZHAWK
06-07-2006, 11:04 PM
We have 2 factory JL tower speakers and you definately can hear them whilie riding. It is, though, unpleasant to ride in the boat with the volume up that loud. Does the fader on the stock head unit fade between the 4 speakers in the boat and the 2 on the tower or by some other way??

That would be great if im right; then you could crank the tower speakers up for the rider and have the others quieter.

Thanks
Depends on how your boat is set-up/wired. My 30 had eight speakers wired to a single four channel amp....not good! :eek: They did, atleast, wire it so the tower was separate from the boat speakers. It just sounded soooooo bad! Your stock head unit can be/should be used to fade the speakers IMO. Just check your RCA connections from the deck to the amps. You should have RCAs for the front, rear, and sub out. Use the front channels for the boat speakers and rear for the tower etc. Also, how many amplifiers are in the boat and what are they? That can help, so we can shed some more insight for ya.

matgyver- i couldn't agree with you more. :D Finally, someone that understands that 4ohm component speakers do not produce their best possible sound when wired to a single channel in parallel (2ohms). Amp. overload! Run your subs parallel to a monoblock all day w/ no problems and it sounds fine. After all, it's just a bass freq. speaker set-up. I also have a JL 300/4 pushing my stock clarion speakers in the boat and they sound so much better now. I also have two 300/2's, each running bridged @ 4ohms, one to each tower speaker. I replaced the stock sub amp. for a 500/1 pushing two JL 12W3's in parallel. It sounds incredible now!

Curious, are you running your 300/4's in Full Range or in High Pass?

matgyver
06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
AZHAWK -- I run both the tower and boat amps in HP with the filter set about 110hz. I replaced the Clarion sub with a JL 10W6V2, but I'm still pushing it with the stock Clarion amp. I need to upgrade to a 500/1, just have not got around to it yet.

SkiDog
06-08-2006, 10:16 PM
If I were to do it all over again, I would still have tower speakers but they would be pointed down towards the cabin of the boat and towards the rear platform...not straight back. I would have 2 pointed straight down and two pointing towards the rear with a downward slant. To hear music while going 25mph jumping the wake...and traveling way out on each side, you have to have it crazy loud. Barefooting or slalom skiing....forgeetaboudit.

I have 4 polk momos on my tower, and all that loudness is useless as everyone inside the boat would have their hair blown off.

I would make the tower speakers sound perfect inside the boat....then spend 300 bucks on a ipod with a waterproof enclosure like the H20 case.

Perfect sound, loud as you want, much superior.

Much cheaper too!!!

Most will not agree with me on this, but its my observations.

So, where are the pictures of this speaker setup?