PDA

View Full Version : Splined or keyed prop?

dpolen
06-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Can anybody tell me what type of prop I have on my 1998 225 Maristar...is it keyed or splined? I know its a 4 blade OJ 14x20, but unsure about the prop shaft type. I managed to back into a nice little rock 2nd time out...need to get it fixed and I think it would be a good idea to get a backup prop as well. I know I'll have to get a prop puller as well.

Additionally, 14x20 seems like a big prop...anybody with a similar boat drop down to a 14x18 or 14x16...would love to hear what you thought about the switch? I have the 5.7L Vortec base engine. Most of my boating will be recreational skiing and wakeboarding...nothing too serious.
Doug

jkski
06-05-2006, 03:05 PM
You should have a keyed shaft, as to the best of my knowledge, MC did not go to a splined shaft until 2003. When you get a prop puller make sure you get the right one, that is made to pull a 4 blade prop, as it is different from a 3 blade puller.

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
do you not have access to the boat?it easy to tell by looking at it//

dpolen
06-05-2006, 03:07 PM
do you not have access to the boat?it easy to tell by looking at it//

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for if it were keyed.

88 PS190
06-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Splines look like machined gear teeth, a key is just a relief cut into the prop and shaft into which a little square metal bit sits.

Its probably keyed, but you could also call ski dim and they'll know for you.

dpolen
06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Splines look like machined gear teeth, a key is just a relief cut into the prop and shaft into which a little square metal bit sits.

Its probably keyed, but you could also call ski dim and they'll know for you.

Thanks! I think I see what you're talking about.

Now if I could just get rid of that big rock at the end of the boat ramp.

Ric
06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I think yours is tapered, not splined.... the only reference I have is that the 197 changed to splined shaft in 05 and I assume vdrives changed at the same time

Tom023
06-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I think yours is tapered, not splined.... the only reference I have is that the 197 changed to splined shaft in 05 and I assume vdrives changed at the same time

Ric,

Actually I think the Vdrives changed a little earlier, 2002 or 2003. For some reason I think I remember seeing a 2002 X30 and wished I had the splined shaft, but ICBW.

Ric
06-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Welcome back Tom!! a little TJ here, but the kids and I were idling in a lake that's low with a muddy bottom last month and didnt hit anything hard but got the boat pretty stuck and had to get out and push it a ways..

ever since then, my pristine smooth setup seems to be vibrating a bit at low r's and holeshot.

without checking the "undercarriage", a visual look shows no prop damage... is it more likely that I tweaked the propshaft a bit?

I know I need to get an indicator and look at it but am just wondering of anybody's similar experience.