PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a used lift?

jkski
06-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I am looking for a used lift for my 197, preferrably a Hewitt. Does anyone know of a good source to find one at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance.

peason
06-05-2006, 04:08 PM
check out listings in craigslist.org. That's where I found mine.

jkski
06-05-2006, 04:12 PM
What did you find and how much did you pay (if you don't mind telling me and half the world!)

stevo137
06-05-2006, 04:58 PM
JK, how much does your boat weigh?

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
should be 2800lbs and i've got mine on a 3000lb hewitt, so does my dad on milton...only difference is that he's got a direct drive winch and mine isn't...upgrade to the 3600lb if you can, because offers two cables and figure you'll have gas and gear which adds up quickly...

jkski
06-06-2006, 10:38 AM

According to the specs it is 3300lbs, however, once you add fluids and gear it looks more like 3500-3600 I'm sure.

I did run across a used Hewitt 3600lb lift with electric motor and canopy for $2200. Not really certain of the condition or age, yet, but you do you think of the price?

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 10:42 AM
According to the specs it is 3300lbs, however, once you add fluids and gear it looks more like 3500-3600 I'm sure.

I did run across a used Hewitt 3600lb lift with electric motor and canopy for $2200. Not really certain of the condition or age, yet, but you do you think of the price?
that's a great price...probably needs a new cable and worst case scenario new pullies...give Chris at call up at Ron's and he'll hook you up, he carries those all in stock...that's a great price!!!

stevo137
06-06-2006, 10:42 AM

Sounds decent. Also depends on the condition.

Datdude
06-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Just a heads up.....

Always get more capacity than you think you need when it comes to buying boat lifts. On a vertical boat lift the front and rear lift beams can each support 50% of the total lift capacity. This is not normally a problem on a direct drive ski boat because the mid engine helps distribute the weight better. If you have a 3600lb V-drive wakeboard boat and put it on a 3600lb lift you are overloading the lift. Each lift beam on a 3600lb lift can support 1800lbs. If you were to cut the boat in half and weigh each end, the back is going to weigh more than 1800lbs with the motor. I have seen some pretty crazy and scary stuff where lift cables have snapped and dropped expensive boats causing major damage. If you are buying a new lift the cost to go up to the next capacity is generally a few hundred dollars....which is well worth the money to protect your investment.

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Just a heads up.....

Always get more capacity than you think you need when it comes to buying boat lifts. On a vertical boat lift the front and rear lift beams can each support 50% of the total lift capacity. This is not normally a problem on a direct drive ski boat because the mid engine helps distribute the weight better. If you have a 3600lb V-drive wakeboard boat and put it on a 3600lb lift you are overloading the lift. Each lift beam on a 3600lb lift can support 1800lbs. If you were to cut the boat in half and weigh each end, the back is going to weigh more than 1800lbs with the motor. I have seen some pretty crazy and scary stuff where lift cables have snapped and dropped expensive boats causing major damage. If you are buying a new lift the cost to go up to the next capacity is generally a few hundred dollars....which is well worth the money to protect your investment.

be sure you level the lift out, makes a world of difference having the back end just 4-6" lower than the front...also makes cranking so much easier because of the cantilever is pulling it forward...

i always agree to upgrade cables...if your going to be gone for awhile, hook up a chaing around the lift arm just for safety's sake...but when the lift is in 100% upright position almosts stands on its own...its when guys don't have their canopy setup right that they don't crank the boat all the way up and it sits halfway on the lift, putting all tension on gears/cable...