PDA

View Full Version : Boat has gradual leak?

excetara2
06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
The boat has a gradual leak. I am assuming the only place this could really happen is a along the shaft, maybe because the nut is to loose. Is this correct or what should I do? You leave it sitting in the water still for a couple of hours and have to bilge it for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I know it isn't supposed to do that. Any ideas would be great. Thanks a lot.

Kell
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
First thing I would check would be the shaft log (where the shaft goes through the hull). Unless some type of dripless shaft log has been installed, the shaft should drip IIRC about 10-15 drips/minute while under way and a little less while sitting at idle. If its driping at the shaft log excessively, you need to back off the locking nut, and tighten the larger brass nut by hand to reduce the drip rate. You might also check the FAQs or search for packing on the site and get more info. Hope this helps.

bigmac
06-05-2006, 03:46 PM
It also could be leaking from the rudder port. That happened to me -- couple of shots of grease to the zerk on the rudder port and the leak stopped.

In my case, I could actually see water coming up along the rudder shaft.

dchatagnon
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi,

It can also leak from the exhaust riser/thru hull on the boat. I had to reseal mine with some silicone this year. Could be also an exhaust leak of one of your muflers.
Which model and year is this boat?

excetara2
06-07-2006, 10:07 AM
It is a 2003 Prostar 197. I will check all of those things. I don't have the boat here. I can check this weekend. Sorry for not responding sooner but my internet has been down. THanks for the help.

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 11:01 AM
The shaft packing should not leak when the boat is not running (even if it is a traditional wax rope setup). In addition to the spots to check already mentioned, I'd check your mufflers. My father-in-law had one crack right where it attached to the exhaust hose coming from the riser.

83MC
06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I had a small crack on the bottom side of both of my mufflers. I removed both from the boat, made sure they were dry, held them level, add water to see where the cracks were. I used JB Weild to repair the cracks.

gene dobies
06-07-2006, 11:18 AM
It can also be a cracked muffler or mufflers.

excetara2
06-07-2006, 01:16 PM
K. I'll check the muffler also. THanks for the help.

dog paw
06-07-2006, 01:45 PM
The shaft packing should not leak when the boat is not running (even if it is a traditional wax rope setup). In addition to the spots to check already mentioned, I'd check your mufflers. My father-in-law had one crack right where it attached to the exhaust hose coming from the riser.

I agree! A drip is a leak no matter how you word it. The drippers that leave there boats in the water are putting a hell of alot of faith in there battery and cheap little bildge pumps that come in these boats. I have had my old packing nut cranked down dry for 800 hours trouble free.

A boat that leaks is one thats sinking..... :eek:

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, they should leak when you're idling. Just not when you've got everything shut down. Just wasn't sure if I was clear on that.

I've left mine in the water overnight on a few ocassions. But it's not a leaker.

pkskier
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
A friend of mine lost one of the screws that holds the speedo pickup on the back of the boat and it let quite a bit of water in.