PDA

View Full Version : Cooling probs.....Overheating

PerryBpilot
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
2000 Maristar 230VRS LTR330.
Last weekend raw water hose from pickup to impeller pump came off and pump ran dry for a couple of minutes. Engine went into safe mode, re-installed hose and tightened clamps, air cooled only until temp about 160 then re-fired all OK. Skied 2+ days then overheated again yesterday day 3, into safe mode, checked cooling area nothing obvious. Towed to ramp and checked at home. T took the water pump off looks fine other than a little rust. Impeller looks fine too not a tooth out of place.
The water pressure in the hose is good up to the transmission cooler but weak from the top of the transmission cooler to the main water pump.
I spoke with local dealership he recommened "flushing" the transmission cooler the lakes are full of debris, lots of rain.
Should I replace the impeller?
Do the transmission coolers get clogged easily?
Any other recommedations are GREATLY appreciated!!!

bigmac
06-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Transmission coolers get plugged VERY easily. There is a screen on the pump side of the cooler. In MasterCraft's owner's manuals, they actually recommend checking the transmission cooler for debris every time you take the boat out. Now, that requires removing a hose clamp and jimmying the lower hose off the cooler, not necessarily the easiest thing to do on a V-drive, and I don't know anybody who checks it every time. Nevertheless, it's the first thing I would check on ANY overheat issue.

NatesGr8
06-05-2006, 01:14 PM
it's the first thing I would check on ANY overheat issue.

+1

my message was too short so here's at least 10 characters

east tx skier
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
If you've got a lot of junk in your lake on a regular basis, I'd invest $40 in a raw water strainer. Very easy DIY install.

I'd replace the impeller. 2 minutes dry is plenty of time to fry it.

PerryBpilot
06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
The folks on this board are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
I followed your recommendations, cleaned out the transmission cooler, the bottom was 85% clogged with old impeller debris. I actually took it off and completely flushed it. I cant believe it could do any cooling with the minimal water flow. The impeller on it looks brand new, so it has to be from the previous owner.
I will be getting a raw water strainer as well as leaf and typical lake debris was in there too.
Thanks for the suggestions.
MC TeamTalk ROCKS.

Live right, live MasterCraft!!!!~
:woohoo:

Tom023
06-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm assuming your boat is similar to mine in terms of engine setup. I had difficulty finding a good spot for the strainer in the engine area so mounted it here...

PerryBpilot
06-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I really like your setup and I have plenty of room.
Where did you get the strainer?
How much?
Brand?

:firejump:

NatesGr8
06-07-2006, 07:44 AM
check out skidim...http://www.skidim.com/

Tom023
06-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I really like your setup and I have plenty of room.
Where did you get the strainer?
How much?
Brand?

:firejump:

Strainer from Skidim, they also have plastic fittings that go in it instead of the brass I used. I got the bracket from somewhere on the internet. If you are interested I may be able to find it again.