PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft packing

93ps205
06-05-2006, 06:26 AM
On 93 PS, I was leaking water through the stuffing box. The packing
was probably original.

Talked to Vince (skidim) and decided to replace it with the GFO (Gortex) fiber packing. This job was easy enough. I followed the directions:
Cut three pieces with clean butt joints. Tightened the packing
nut hand tight, then added about 3/4 turn, then finally tightened
up the lock nut. I ran the boat for about 20 minutes; starting
out slow at first. Then I checked for drips. No drips.

However, as I touch them, the driveshaft and the stuffing box
were so hot, they burned my finger.
Almost like I had touched a soldering iron. Is this normal? Will this
run cooler after more hours on the new GFO stuffing?

Jim

peason
06-05-2006, 07:18 AM
this does not soundnormal, you need to have some drips - the water will lubricate. Give Vince a call back. Or search this board to see how may drips per minute you are supposed to have. good luck.

kpickett
06-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I repacked my stuffing box with the GFO stuffing this spring. You just have the nut on too tight. The GFO is dripless, so you don't want any water coming through. You need to back the nut off until it starts to drip, and then just barely tighten it until the drip stops. Then it should be fine. Mine runs completely cool, no drips. You really have to be on the water to adjust it. It's too bad it's such a pain to access.

east tx skier
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I was thinking it's on too tight. Hard to tell without the drips though, eh. :)

WilliM1940
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
I redid mine with the GFO teflon also, and have great hopes for it, as yet not in the water. You know how this stuff feels, almost like solid grease, alot different from the flax. If the temperature got so high, what may have happened to the stuffing? The melting temperature of teflon is about 300F. On the safe side, wouldn't it be prudent to dig this stuff out and replace it? Like you said, it was pretty easy.

h20winn
06-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I have a 2004 X30 what size flax did you purchase... I want to change mine.

93ps205
06-07-2006, 07:23 AM
I redid mine with the GFO teflon also, and have great hopes for it, as yet not in the water. You know how this stuff feels, almost like solid grease, alot different from the flax. If the temperature got so high, what may have happened to the stuffing? The melting temperature of teflon is about 300F. On the safe side, wouldn't it be prudent to dig this stuff out and replace it? Like you said, it was pretty easy.

I checked the data sheet for GFO.
http://www.gore.com/MungoBlobs/gfo_fiberpacking_datasheet.pdf

The temperature range is -400F - +550F, so I don't think it melted.
Also talked to GFO customer support.

He pointed out that the GFO material is designed to transfer heat, so he wasn't surprised that the shaft and packing nut
were hot. He mentioned that GFO is treated with a break-in
lubricant and that as the material gets broken in, it will compress
and take up less volume. His suggestion was to put a few hours
on the boat and then re-check for 1 drip every 1-2 minutes.

If the GFO doesn't reduce in volume as he suggests, then I'll probably
dig these pieces out and replace as you said. Good news is that
the GFO package had just enough material to wrap a 1" drive shaft
five times. My stuffing box takes three 1/4" pieces, so I'd leave
the first one in the box and replace the top two. Then probably
only go hand tight.

Jim

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I have a 2004 X30 what size flax did you purchase... I want to change mine.

Double check the FAQ, but it depends on your shaft size. I can't remember when they went to all shafts are 1 1/8", but if you have a 1" shaft, you use the 1/4" packing. If you have a 1 1/8" shaft, you use the 3/8" packing.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
isnt that 3/16ths packing for a 1 1/8" shaft Doug???

thats what I put on mine and I have a powerslot with 1 1/8" shaft. I got it from Skidim

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, that's right. Sorry about that. The smaller size for the bigger shaft.

h20winn
06-08-2006, 12:47 AM
How many layers are there? Three or four or more?

93ps205
06-08-2006, 08:02 AM
How many layers are there? Three or four or more?

Mine is 93 PS 205 w/1:1 trans and 1" drive shaft.

Three pieces, each offset 120 degrees. I used the tips of
the packing nut to align the offset of the joints. The new packing
was 1/4" GFO. Packing size should be the difference between the
O.D. of the driveshaft and the I.D. of the packing nut.

h2oowl
06-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Whoa guys: GFO and Teflon impregnated packing should never be used on a high speed shaft packing. The high heat and teflon will eventually cut into the stainless shafting. These products were designed for rudder shafts that do not rotate at high speed. There are many true dripless seals designed for this application. PSS shaft seals being one. It is more work but it does keep the water out. Traditional wax impregnated flax will work quite well if maintained. Be safe and have fun!!!

Jorski
06-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Whoa guys: GFO and Teflon impregnated packing should never be used on a high speed shaft packing. The high heat and teflon will eventually cut into the stainless shafting. These products were designed for rudder shafts that do not rotate at high speed. There are many true dripless seals designed for this application. PSS shaft seals being one. It is more work but it does keep the water out. Traditional wax impregnated flax will work quite well if maintained. Be safe and have fun!!!

This product was originally designed for sealing the shafts on industrial pumps. They spec out at being able to handle shaft speeds of upto 4300 feet/minute. That translates on a 1 inch drive shaft to being able to withstand upto 51,600 rpm...an unlikey speed for a ski boat.

The paticular characteristics are that it does not heat up or expand very much in service.

Check out the following two sites:

GFO Dripless Packing (http://www.emarineinc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html)

and

GFO tech stats... (http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/sealants/packing/gfo_packing_fiber.html)