PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp Bloopers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sodar
06-05-2006, 01:51 AM
This past weekend I found myself around cocktail time walking over to the public ramp (beer in hand) and just standing watching the people load up their boats.

So this thread is left to posting pictures of launch ramp bloopers. The brilliant one's who forget to put the plug in, forget to take off the tie-downs, don't pull up the drive/outboard or my all time favorite... put the boat on the trailer with their fenders out and then drive home with them still out!

POST YOUR LAUNCH RAMP DEBACLES... BE SURE TO INCLUDE PICTURES!!

Good thing this guy has his fenders out! You never know what can happen on the way home!!

kycat2007
06-05-2006, 01:57 AM
No picture but I saw a guy who had cut off the clip on his winch because he did not know how to release the winch's direction clip. I told him how to release it and told him to tie the strap to the boat and then buy a new one.

tex
06-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Sodar-The boat's name says it all!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Sodar, now THIS is a great idea for a thread!! :steering: :D I love it! cant wait to see what gets posted here!!!

Sodar
06-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I know the girls look great, but wouldn't you ask them to get out if you could not pull the boat out!!

#47of100TeamMC
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Hell-No, chicks dig burnt rubber(s)!

kjohnson
06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
No pics but I saw a guy with magic tilt trailer backing down the ramp. The pin broke, the trailer tilted back and the boat slid off the trailer and slid all the way down the ramp. He was lucky that the motor was trimed up and all he had were a bunch of srapes on the bottom of the gelcoat.

Foiler
06-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I got this picture off of here a few years ago but thought it deserved to be posted again...can you say jack-knife.

88 PS190
06-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I know the girls look great, but wouldn't you ask them to get out if you could not pull the boat out!!

notice the one guy still in the boat w/ the ladies.

Either he really knows where he wants to be, or he really doesn't like being a man.

Worst blooper.

Worked at a Marina up in MI they launch this boat and drive it over to the wet bay and tie it up on the gas dock pier, it was a summerization so they let it sit. Unbeknownst to them they'd left the water OUT hoses off the engine. The boat sat and idled and filled up. eventually the engines shut off but since they'd had coolant it was good and wet, got to the point that water could come over the boat and the bilge pump just sat there running till the battery was done.

Real kicker, this was a Baja w/ dual big blocks....

Wonder if he was trying to turn around, or if the trailer pushed him around that way.

06-05-2006, 01:09 PM
that looks more like a switchblade..... :friday:

shepherd
06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Good thing this guy has his fenders out! You never know what can happen on the way home!!

LOL, when I lived up in DC and cruised on the Potomac, I would always see boats running up and down the river with their fenders hanging off the sides. Lazy... :cool:

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 02:59 PM
i didnt see it myself but a buddy told me that yesterday some yahoo somehow backed his trailer under the dock. then he proceeded to pull out and he yanked the whole dock up the ramp...

bradamerry
06-05-2006, 03:03 PM
i didnt see it myself but a buddy told me that yesterday some yahoo somehow backed his trailer under the dock. then he proceeded to pull out and he yanked the whole dock up the ramp...
his must be driving a FORD............... ;)

88 PS190
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
if here were driving a ford the truck would be there not running as the driver desperately tried to hold the brake pedal to the floor in hopes of not rolling back into the water...

Found
On
Ramp
Dead.

I'm not really biased, but i have pulled a ford and its boat and trailer up a ramp w/ a small Kubota diesel tractor (4X4)

AZHAWK
06-05-2006, 04:03 PM
What gives? You guys shouldn't be haten on Fords! There are some of us out here that drive Fords and luv'em. This could easily end up as a threadjack and a new war started....be very careful! :rant:

jraben8
06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Haten' Fords. That's just not right when you think about who manufactured the motor in those old boats that we love.

SKI*MC
06-05-2006, 04:22 PM
My engine blew up a 2 years ago. It was a ford 351. And don't bring up the problems we have had with the exploder. Anyways, I'm a chevy man. Lets end this thread jack!

brianaw26
06-05-2006, 04:37 PM
This guy was loading his jet ski..... you can see it in the picture. I didnt take this picture but i got it off the vette forums.

http://www.shadetreevettes.com/images/brian/vetteramp.jpg

AZHAWK
06-05-2006, 04:40 PM
That sucks. Just look at the poor guy in the pic. His body language says it all.

M-Funf
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I got this picture off of here a few years ago but thought it deserved to be posted again...can you say jack-knife.

That looks alot like the public ramp at Lake Sonoma...of course the pretty much all look something like that...

Harvey
06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
A friend saw a guy last year pull up on his jet ski (sit down two seater model Polaris), then go get his van. After he had the doors swung all the way open held with bungy cords, he backs his van down the ramp sans trailer and gets the floor of the van at water level. He proceeds to drive the SIT DOWN jetski into the back of the van, then bungy the doors shut (because they won't close all the way) and drive off. I use to ride a stand up jet ski on occasion and I have loaded them in the beds of pickups but to drive a 600 lbs sit down jet ski into the back of a van is insane.

I didn't have my camera the other day when a lady got the boat on the trailer crooked and the boat (deep V hull) was sitting on its side when the trailer came out of the water. It took her and her husband 20 minutes to get it on the trailer right. We all stood and clapped when they finished.

jmyers
06-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I watched a couple of guy's up at the lake bring a really nice late 70's model Nautique up on to the trailer and power load it right over the trailer and right into the back of the truck! All I herd was a bang bang when I looked over I saw it about 3 feet over the trailer! (after a bit of drinking) All they said was OOP'S! :rolleyes:

atlfootr
06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Saturday Weekend, April 22 we were sitt'n in our BF200 @ a neigbhor's dock who lives next door to the public ramp watch'n wknd wallys pull their boats from the public graveled ramp (always good for a lol or 2) and what do we see but this.

Here's a too short but long lived wknd wally - wheel's spinn'n!
Noth'n yet ... will attempt to post video clip on Putfile.com, sometime tomorrow.

kalanic
06-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Too Funny!

kalanic
06-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Hillariuos! Amazing!

kalanic
06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Oooooohhhhh!!!!nnnooooooo!

jeverett
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
The other day out here at lake Billy Chinook two things happened while I was hangin' out around the ramp.

1.) Guy asks me if I know anything about boats. Why is my bilge pump running so much, and why is my bilge filling up with water. I ask; did you put the plug in? He replys that he never takes it out but that he just had it de-winterized. To that I say the guys at the shop did not put it back in. Sure enough the plug was sitting by the back seat.

2.) Guy has his wife power on a brand new I/O (Reinell?) onto the trailer. He hooks up the bow and drives up the ramp (very long) at mach speed draggin his outdrive the whole way. Needless to say I think he was mad at his poor wife who you could tell had clearly never done that before.

Man I am glad I have some aptitude for boating. Not knowing what I was doing would totally suck.

Mi.mc
06-06-2006, 03:03 PM
is that guy still trying to fish on the ramp!?

bcampbe7
06-06-2006, 03:10 PM

I will bet he is lighting a cig. to celebrate his "accomplishment."

Faded & X9-Rated
06-06-2006, 03:10 PM
That's awesome!!! :purplaugh :purplaugh

kalanic
06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I believe so! Amazing!

theDano
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I will bet he is lighting a cig. to celebrate his "accomplishment."

Or maybe another Doob ;)

Greg250
06-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Thank you for this post, it makes me feel somewhat better after my wife drove the MC over the the rear trailer guide bending it to a 45 degree angle. :mad: Thankfully no damage to the boat, and I was able to strong arm the guide back to an upright position. I am also glad there was noone there with a camera!!! :o

Hoosier Bob
06-16-2006, 01:06 PM
I could have been on here! For the last two weeks I have been trailering with the hitch I use for the motorcycle trailer! 1 7/8 vs 2 inch! Thanks above for tongue weight! :o

TMCNo1
06-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Last saturday my wife was approaching the trailer in the boat preparing to drive on and an I/O came behind her going about 10mph and leaving a 18" wake and the husband was driving. I was watching my wife and the waves actually helped center her and all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I saw the husband with his shoes in hand and standing in the walkthru of the windshield go flying over the bow and onto the beach. Apparently while I was watching my wife, the husband and wife changed places and she did not know to take the boat out of gear near the beach, so she just drove up on the beach and her husband went flying when the boat stopped. He was somewhat upset to say the least. When we got up to the tiedown area, I simply lost control, as did a CC owner who was loading up at the same time beside us. He called the guy and his wife Numb Nutz, I had to agree and said Superman had to learn how to fly once too!

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Last saturday my wife was approaching the trailer in the boat preparing to drive on and an I/O came behind her going about 10mph and leaving a 18" wake and the husband was driving. I was watching my wife and the waves actually helped center her and all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I saw the husband with his shoes in hand and standing in the walkthru of the windshield go flying over the bow and onto the beach. Apparently while I was watching my wife, the husband and wife changed places and she did not know to take the boat out of gear near the beach, so she just drove up on the beach and her husband went flying when the boat stopped. He was somewhat upset to say the least. When we got up to the tiedown area, I simply lost control, as did a CC owner who was loading up at the same time beside us. He called the guy and his wife Numb Nutz, I had to agree and said Superman had to learn how to fly once too!

THat would have been worthy of a video clip :D

tex
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
When I was skiing at Sea World San Diego, the show ran from an island on Mission Bay. Before and after each show the entire show would load up with all the costumes and drive over to the island in an old Boston Whaler. One time the BW was broke down and we had to use this old beat up I/O. The reverse gear did not work. We had finished a show and this skier was driving who had taken one too many blows to the head. The boat had about 15 skiers in it all standing up and we started approaching the dock. We warned the driver about 3 times to slow down because we had no reverse. He was in his own world. To make matters worse, standing on the dock were a bunch of SW big wigs. All of the skiers were talking and when this dude figured out that we had not reverse, it was too late. He hit the dock hard enough that skiers and costumes spilled out on the dock and a couple went over the dock and into the water on the other side. It was priceless! The boat was scratched a little and no one was hurt. I wish that it was on video. Classic!

Sodar
06-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

rodltg2
06-18-2006, 01:57 PM
that looks expensive :eek:

sprink
06-25-2006, 09:58 PM
At Lake Sonoma of Friday evening we were coming in and had to dodge a lot of drunk or just stupid folk. Got my boat on the trailer and noticed the guy next to me has his trailer deep in the water. The truck has the back wheel about 3/4 submerged and the guy going in with the boat (a nice MariStar) is yelling at the guy that it's in too deep, while he is idling up. Before you know it, the MariStar is over the top of the trailer, a little sideways, while the truck driver is starting to pull forward. The guy in the boat accidentally juices it forward instead of reverse and comes inches from the trucks tail light. He jams it in reverse and took another shot. I got out of there. Seemed like too many people had a few too many drinks. I think I will stick to mid week boating out there.

Would be more entertaining if I didn't have my boat in the middle of the mix.

Ryan27r
06-25-2006, 11:35 PM
At Lake Sonoma of Friday evening we were coming in and had to dodge a lot of drunk or just stupid folk. Got my boat on the trailer and noticed the guy next to me has his trailer deep in the water. The truck has the back wheel about 3/4 submerged and the guy going in with the boat (a nice MariStar) is yelling at the guy that it's in too deep, while he is idling up. Before you know it, the MariStar is over the top of the trailer, a little sideways, while the truck driver is starting to pull forward. The guy in the boat accidentally juices it forward instead of reverse and comes inches from the trucks tail light. He jams it in reverse and took another shot. I got out of there. Seemed like too many people had a few too many drinks. I think I will stick to mid week boating out there.

Would be more entertaining if I didn't have my boat in the middle of the mix.
Yea that sounds kinda crazy

CoFooter
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Thought I had seen everything, until last weekend. Guy and his family get ready to go out. Family loaded into the boat and he is launching it himself. He backs the trailer in and ties the boat to the dock. Then the knucklehead gets back in his truck and hammers it forward. One problem, the rope was too long. Outdrive slammed into the ramp in about a foot of water and the rest of the boat was on the concrete. Don't think anyone got hurt except his pride. I was on my way out so didn't see how this ended up.

alecams
07-05-2006, 11:26 PM
No pics but get this, OldSchool 84 launched is 84 S&S last week and forgot to put the plug in, 2 miles later almost to his mooring he looks in the cup holder and see the plug. Mad scramble with the pump on, opens engine lid and with one hand frantically attempts to insert plug as water rushes in, get watch caught blah blah blah finally saves it with water about 6 inches deep. this one beat the previous launch where i launch the boat he pulls away and as the trailer is coming out of the water the wheel falls off..... i wish i had a picture, so OldSchools simply turns and takes off into the lake.... must have figured i would handle it. oh those ramp stories......

atlfootr
07-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Haten' Fords. That's just not right when you think about who manufactured the motor in those old boats that we love.What gives? You guys shouldn't be haten on Fords!
There are some of us out here that drive Fords and luv'em.
This could easily end up as a threadjack and a new war started....be very careful! :rant:Here we go again ... another thread topic for debate :uglyhamme

atlfootr
07-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Thought I had seen everything, until last weekend.
Guy and his family get ready to go out.
Family loaded into the boat and he is launching it himself.
He backs the trailer in and ties the boat to the dock.
Then the knucklehead gets back in his truck and hammers it forward.

One problem, the rope was too long.
Outdrive slammed into the ramp in about a foot of water
and the rest of the boat was on the concrete.

Don't think anyone got hurt except his pride.
I was on my way out so didn't see how this ended up.Man, now that woulda made for some great video ... :dance:

tex
07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a ski ramp blunder!

Datdude
07-06-2006, 11:01 AM
My parents live one house away from the launch on their lake. It provides endless hours of amusement and amazement. On July 4th we were sitting on the deck when a new guy on the lake comes to the launch in his new 'BU. His buddy backs in to the perfect spot for this steep launch and it took the driver 5 attempts to come in straight. He kept getting crooked and jamming it into reverse for another try. He finally gets it on the trailer and looking good when his buddy tries to hook up the winch strap he complains that it is too short. The bow of the boat is about 8" off the roller at this time so the driver of the boat is trying to explain how to release the winch strap. This goes on for about 3-4 minutes until he finally figures it out. He hooks up the winch strap to the bow eye and starts cranking. When he stops cranking the boat starts to slip backward and the winch handle spins at 100 mph. Luckily the guy did not have his hand or arm near it :eek: . He finally figured out that he needed to set the clicker back on the winch to stop it from releasing. By now there are 3 boats circling waiting for the launch so the pressure is on. With the boat cranked on the trailer they realize that the boat is sitting on the trailer crooked and it took them another 5 minutes of screwing around to get it straight. This entire process took about 15 minutes and was hilarious :D

Ric
07-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Supposedly Lake Austin over this past weekend. Could be the pickup driver was trying to reach his spit cup?

Sodar
07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Nice job ric! Finally some pics!!

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
This was kind of funny to Leroy and myself! I do not think the trailer was designed for this P-toon! Whitewalls and all! :D

dapicatti
07-06-2006, 10:52 PM
No pics, but this weekend my wife was waiting for me at the dock to back up the trailer (she refuses to do this) and this guy with a really old faded Bayliner pulls in right in front of me while I am backing up. He proceeds to leave a 7 year old boy on the dock to "hold the boat", gets back in his rig and drives off- the boat goes CLUNK directly on the concrete. :eek: The little boy looks at my wife and says "Can you help me?".
Wife goes and pushes said bayliner into the water, helps the 7 year old tie up the boat. Dad returns, yells at the kid for tieing up the boat, and proceeds to back almost into my boat. My wife was screaming at the guy, wound up kicking his boat away from ours. This guy proceeds to flip off my wife. I think she would have killed him if she could have.

Love the 4th of July crazies! :rolleyes:

tex
07-06-2006, 10:58 PM
No pics, but this weekend my wife was waiting for me at the dock to back up the trailer (she refuses to do this) and this guy with a really old faded Bayliner pulls in right in front of me while I am backing up. He proceeds to leave a 7 year old boy on the dock to "hold the boat", gets back in his rig and drives off- the boat goes CLUNK directly on the concrete. :eek: The little boy looks at my wife and says "Can you help me?".
Wife goes and pushes said bayliner into the water, helps the 7 year old tie up the boat. Dad returns, yells at the kid for tieing up the boat, and proceeds to back almost into my boat. My wife was screaming at the guy, wound up kicking his boat away from ours. This guy proceeds to flip off my wife. I think she would have killed him if she could have.

Love the 4th of July crazies! :rolleyes:
He needed to be taken for a little walk!

Eagle
07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
This happened in Northern Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/images/hwaccident.jpg

Willski
07-06-2006, 11:41 PM
I have an '84 and if anyone has a similar year, they know the trailer. (The kind where you have to drive on and someone else has to raise a pivot bar through the bow eye hook it) I was trying to get off the lake in a hurry in the middle of a thunderstorm. Left the boat in gear and reache up over the bow to hook it and the boat decided to overshoot. Ruined a prop and dinged up the trailer, but nobody got hurt! Just my ego. Anybody else ever do this, or do I have the stupid rights to the story?

kjohnson
07-07-2006, 08:04 AM
That piece of crap Nautique was probably the cause!

atlfootr
07-07-2006, 08:23 AM
I have an '84 and if anyone has a similar year, they know the trailer. (The kind where you have to drive on and someone else has to raise a pivot bar through the bow eye hook it) I was trying to get off the lake in a hurry in the middle of a thunderstorm. Left the boat in gear and reache up over the bow to hook it and the boat decided to overshoot. Ruined a prop and dinged up the trailer, but nobody got hurt! Just my ego. Anybody else ever do this, or do I have the stupid rights to the story?If anyone ever did, I'd dout if seriously enough that they'd admitt up to it. :twocents:

WilliM1940
07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
I did the thunderstorm bit too, lousy steep ramp, screw the bar, just get on the trailer and get out of there, worry about the bar later.

BrianM
07-10-2006, 07:53 PM

07-10-2006, 10:05 PM

what happened there Eagle? was the boat in dry dock and tipped over or what?:confused:

07-10-2006, 10:06 PM

what happened there Eagle? was the boat in dry dock and tipped over or what?:confused:

07-10-2006, 10:06 PM

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 11:00 PM
tripple post!

blackbeauty02
07-11-2006, 12:22 AM
i almost had the ultimate boat blooper. we were pulling my boat out and the guy next to us had his wife driving the truck. he gave her the go ahead to drive forward and not 1 second later he was yelling at her to stop. he still had the boat running, in gear, and the prop all the way down. He was about 6 inches from losing his right leg. it probably would have been unkind on my part but i would have taken pictures b/c no one would have believed me that someone would be so stupid to do three of the dumba$$ things i have ever seen. i am a first time boat owner and am extremely cautious (maybe too cautious...nah you can never be too much).

pkskier
07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
This is what happens to an Aggie when using a lake in Austin. Hook'em Horns!

jraben8
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I've been waiting on someone to make the comment...

Ric
07-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I hate to trump you on this one PK, but refer to post number 48 in this thread.

Thank You Thank you, You're all too kind..

Wonder if the pic is real? I have only received it via email about 30 times this week:rolleyes:

pkskier
07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Ric, somehow missed your post. I received by email also several times this week.

Ric
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Ric, somehow missed your post. I received by email also several times this week.
just messin with ya.. Pretty funny pic even if it is not real

Eagle
07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Yep, exactly.

Story here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/belfast/A1033813.shtml

Belfast H and W shipyard accident

In 1966 work was underway extending a ship in a dry dock at the Yard.....

rick s.
07-11-2006, 12:07 PM
big boats fall over in shipyards frequently...

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Supposedly Lake Austin over this past weekend. Could be the pickup driver was trying to reach his spit cup?

Definitely Lake Austin. That's the ramp over by Hula Hut.

07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
tripple post!
WOW, it was a triple post! How did that happen? I was post ho'in and I didnt even know it!

Ric
07-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Definitely Lake Austin. That's the ramp over by Hula Hut.
my kids were out there over the holiday weekend in a non-mc
they said it was a rodeo for sure
so the fact that it's lake austin is for sure and the rough water is confirmed...

jmyers
07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
This is my blooper! I disconnected what I thought was everything and told my buddy to back the boat down the ramp, I started it and tried to back off the trailer and the boat didn't move it was floating but not moving! I checked everything and tried to throttle it off still it wouldn't budge!:confused: I finally looked at the bow ring and noticed the boat buddy pin was still through the bow ring! ROOKIE!:rolleyes:

billr
07-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I think we have all done that!! Admitting to it is another thing.

07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
This is my blooper! I disconnected what I thought was everything and told my buddy to back the boat down the ramp, I started it and tried to back off the trailer and the boat didn't move it was floating but not moving! I checked everything and tried to throttle it off still it wouldn't budge!:confused: I finally looked at the bow ring and noticed the boat buddy pin was still through the bow ring! ROOKIE!:rolleyes:
Thats minor, at least the inside of the boat was DRY!:)

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
my kids were out there over the holiday weekend in a non-mc
they said it was a rodeo for sure
so the fact that it's lake austin is for sure and the rough water is confirmed...

Definitely hard to find. Just when it gets smooth, you have to turn and the wind breaks the glass. Not to mention the crowds. Tons of tournament boats and high end wake board boats. And cold water from the bottom of Travis.

JohnnyB
07-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Got the Lake Austin pic in the e-mail today. I'll bet he could unhook the boat from the truck trailer and get a few sets in....hopefully he put the beer cooler in the boat before launching....can at least get a good day on the water:D

Farmer Ted
07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
My wife just said,

"what, you can't drive that out?"

I got up and gave her a big hug!

Leroy
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
About 6 weeks ago was going out with the family and was in a hurry so jump in boat and have wife back in. Back end just keeps getting lower.....realized I left the straps on. Pull up take off straps and back in......dead battery (left on nav light). Borrow the portable jumper from the shack next to the ramp and I'm off. It never really charged back up, but my home battery charger has a "recondition" mode and that seems to have fixed the battery up good as new again.

mpmartin
07-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Can some one put an OU sticker on that truck?

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Can some one put an OU sticker on that truck?

Bobby, would you like to do the honors! 8p

Hook 'em!

starman205
07-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Just for thre Record

TMCNo1
07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Just for thre Record
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme Wow, that's engineering at it finest!

Ric
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Just for thre Record
Got this over email some time ago but I still find it hilarious

07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Just for thre Record
Yes, that is some fine engineering! The worst part is, I went to engineering school with people that would have done something ingenious like that. And yes, they all earned degrees. One week after we graduated, I got a call from a classmate, he was confused and wanted me to look up a mathematic formula in my engineering books. He was trying to figure out the surface area of an I bean. ya know, the big steal I beams used in buildings. he was figuring surface area, and he wanted to know the method or equation used to calculate it. I sat and thought about it for a minute, and I said "HEY retard! there is NO formula for that! Its a combination of RECTANGLES!!, just figure each one and add them up!!" long pause on the phone..........and he finally squeaks out an "oh, oh yea. I guess your right" What a moron, and this guy was doing metal fatigue inspections for structural integrity. now, how safe does that make you feel?

07-12-2006, 12:20 PM
OK, its a little funny, but its creepy :noface: what are they? cops? or military? whoa, the world is a strange place.

Ric
07-12-2006, 12:26 PM
OK, its a little funny, but its creepy :noface: what are they? cops? or military? whoa, the world is a strange place.
I'm not an expert Ump, but they are basically ROTC at Texas A&M U (aggies)
Largely made fun of, by non-aggies, this pic was perfect
Aggies do things like the above three pics prove... It's a known fact here in our great state:)

yzwiley
07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Just for thre Record

In viewing that picture it looks as though they are doing a remodel on the inside of the place. I've seen this done many times to protect the glass from the work going on, as too to hide what's happening inside. If this is true for this photo then who's the dummy?

Ric
07-12-2006, 01:25 PM
In viewing that picture it looks as though they are doing a remodel on the inside of the place. I've seen this done many times to protect the glass from the work going on, as too to hide what's happening inside. If this is true for this photo then who's the dummy?
it wouldn't surprise me if it were real. There were places farther north than College station that were boarded up for the great evacuation of 05 (Rita)

There was actually a lumber yard in Mexia that was "closed for evacuation"
Map it and see. maybe an aggie owner too? I dont know

TMCNo1
07-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Kinda reminds me of "RENO 911" on the Comedy Channel!

mpmartin
07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.

Ric
07-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.
mp, being a firefighter, I'm betting you've spent some time in college station a time or two?

mpmartin
07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Yes that is where I went to Fire School. One of the best any where. It produces more Officers than any other recruit school. But I am a Longhorn fan and my wife graduated from OU. So we have a lot of fun with the TEXAS / OU thing. Shelby will be going to SMU. That is the best we could come up with. Oh and by the way I love to make fun of the Aggies. Like I said don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Sodar
09-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I guess this guy took the old concept of not getting your wheels wet to the extreme!!

erkoehler
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Is he winching that on, or dropping it off?

Ric
09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Cameron that is a horrible picture, I cannot tell for sure but is that a hot baby hugging her pet monkey on the pier or what:confused:

Ric
09-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I guess this guy took the old concept of not getting your wheels wet to the extreme!! hell that is how some people in a meeting room somewhere East of Nashville think I load my 197:cool:

Sodar
09-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Cameron that is a horrible picture, I cannot tell for sure but is that a hot baby hugging her pet monkey on the pier or what:confused:

It is a little kid in a lifejacket hugging his hot mommy!!

Sodar
09-22-2006, 04:30 PM
hell that is how some people in a meeting room somewhere East of Nashville think I load my 197:cool:

Funny you should say that, because the textbook I read for getting my captains license said you should load it that way AND walk the boat onto the trailer with a bow and stern line. Amazing!!

Sodar
09-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Is he winching that on, or dropping it off?
He is pulling it up, they had to lift the boat onto the trailer, it had sank and was full of water, they were just letting the water drain and inching it up on the trailer a little at a time.

TX.X-30 fan
09-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Look at the rear window. Might be a good reason for all those jokes.:D

Sodar
12-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Pretty Freaking RETARDED!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FshOpPqj88&mode=related&search=

erkoehler
12-17-2006, 12:06 AM
WOW! That's the best one I've seen in awhile!

TMCNo1
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
WOW! That's the best one I've seen in awhile!

Classic example of a "Wally"!

Jim@BAWS
12-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Pretty Freaking RETARDED!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FshOpPqj88&mode=related&search=

There is a PART 2...watch that one also

Jim@BAWS

JohnnyB
12-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Classic....pays homage to the intellect of the average smoker owner.

Last year when the lake was too low to use the ramp, we were launching off the sand/gravel beach...probably did a 1/2 dozen times. My brother forgot to put my truck in 4-wheel and spun the rear wheels at the water's edge burying the rear axle. Had to take the boat back and get truck #2 and tow strap to fish it out....never thought of using the boat to push the truck out of the mud:eek: --NOT!!!

bigmac
12-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Does this (http://mccollister.info/boatramp.mpg) look like your boat ramp?

TMCNo1
12-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Does this (http://mccollister.info/boatramp.mpg) look like your boat ramp?

Every Saturday about 11:00 am after we have been there 3 hours!

Footin
12-24-2006, 12:02 PM
It looks like I75 north in Michigan on July 3rd.

Jerseydave
12-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Sodar..........gotta love those PWC owners.

Would help to shift that 4WD lever!

Love it when the guy on the dock says "what an a**hole!

Flatwaterfooter
12-24-2006, 05:46 PM
One of the last cars going by looks like an old Correct Craft

Sodar
01-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I just found my pictures from two Memorial Days ago. This one was at Crazy Horse Campground in Lake Havasu, AZ. These guys unhooked the Jet Skis at the top of the ramp, slammed on their brakes and both slid right off the back! That is me in the black hat trying to help them get the skis back on the trailer...

JKTX21
01-20-2007, 08:34 PM
These people should be required to carry flares, kitty litter, and a come-along at ALL times.

Sodar
01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Remember to use tie downs!!

O2BESOHUGE
01-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow! Im Glad I Saw This Thread! Makes You Be Prepared...

O2

Sodar
02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Different Types at the Boat Ramp...

Old Sparky (aka A Grinder): This guy is easy to spot. The dead giveaways are the loud, gut-wrenching scraping sounds, and the sparks that fly off the outdrive as it's dragged down and then up the ramp.

The Fiddler: Usually the cause of severe "ramp rage," a Fiddler amazingly decides that the middle of the ramp is the ideal place to perform various preparatory tasks. An interesting characteristic of the Fiddler is that he seems to be completely oblivious to the incessant honking and shouting of less than friendly suggestions by the growing number of impatient "ragees."

Ramp Pig: Although a boat ramp can usually accommodate two launchings simultaneously -- one on each side of the ramp -- the Ramp Pig goes right down the middle thus hogging the entire ramp.

A Slalom: This person is "trailer challenged," and his gratuitous and exaggerated weaving from side to side usually draws quite a crowd as he descends the ramp. When a slalom is in progress, make special note of the Slalom's wife who has been assigned the bow line and is now being dragged violently from right to left.

The Hooker: This is fun to watch as the frustration on the face of The Hooker intensifies as he increases power to the engine and still can't get the boat off the trailer. His frustration turns to embarrassment as he pulls the boat out only to find that he hasn't removed the rear tie-downs.

The Banger (aka The Trailer Trasher): A fan favorite, The Banger's trailer features scars from every dock in the county. Telltale signs that a Banger has entered the ramp are the broken tail lights and the fact that every reflector, all the pin stripping and much of the paint has been scraped clean.

The Recycler: More a cause of mirth than rage, The Recycler is quickly identified by the use of an empty one-liter Mountain Dew bottle as a bumper. You're also likely to see other items used to protect the Recycler's boat, such as the kid's old water wings, a mildewed life jacket, and just about anything other than the standard rubber marine fenders.

The Rooster: If you're too close to a Rooster and don't spot him in time, you're likely to get wet. This is the guy who leaves the marina with the outdrive all the way up, thus drenching everyone in his wake. Often times a Rooster is a panicked and anxious Old Sparky who, after grinding the outdrive halfway down the ramp, has forgotten to let it down once he's launched.

The Poser: The Poser stands at the end of the dock while the boy from the yacht club launches his Cobalt for him. Striking a jaunty pose in his freshly pressed nautical-themed shirt and captain's hat, the Poser is easily spotted and fair game for ridicule. The Poser is often a lighting rod for "ramp rage" as he typically parks his small German "self-esteem mobile" in the trailer-only parking.

Submariner: A Submariner gets a sinking feeling when his first realization that the drain plug may not be in the boat is when he opens the engine compartment and finds the motor nearly submerged.

While there are many unique and wonderful "slip-ups" at the ramp each spring, there is one common denominator among them all. Whether the outdrive is shootin' sparks, the trailer is bouncing off pylons, or the boat is taking on water -- despite any conclusions you, as a spectator, may have drawn -- amazingly the cause is always the same. THE WIFE SCREWED UP!

"Ramp rage" is expressed in many ways and has been cited as a cause of more than one divorce. On the common, more mundane end of the "rage spectrum" is the single-finger salute, while disparaging remarks about one's mother are much more exciting and tend to quickly escalate a "rage" incident. Properly planned, a day at the ramp can be fun for the whole family.

SaltwaterMC
02-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Those are all so true... Very funny.

sand2snow22
02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Sodar, when are you going to get more pics?

Sodar
02-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I have 5 big weekends planned in the next two months, so I am sure I will get some pics as they happen!! :D

milkmania
02-21-2007, 11:07 AM
was at a ramp one time waiting on a couple of women to load a Rinker...
I was still in the water, and they were loading.

was giving them a hard time (aka flirting) with them and ended up saying they were taking too long, and I would be loaded and back in camp before they were!
They loaded, pulled up, secured the boat, and started toward the camp.......
wife backed in, I loaded, snapped the boat buddy, and headed out and had to wait on the road while they backed into their camp, and I had to give them a "I told you so":D

later that evening they brought me a beer by camp:)

ilikeitglacy
02-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I have 5 big weekends planned in the next two months, so I am sure I will get some pics as they happen!! :D
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Doug G
02-21-2007, 01:22 PM
That's classic Sodar... Ramp launching is indeed a great spectator sport. Being spoiled with a slip now we still occasionally ride over to the ramp for the fun of watching!

SkiDog
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
was at a ramp one time waiting on a couple of women to load a Rinker...
I was still in the water, and they were loading.

was giving them a hard time (aka flirting) with them and ended up saying they were taking too long, and I would be loaded and back in camp before they were!
They loaded, pulled up, secured the boat, and started toward the camp.......
wife backed in, I loaded, snapped the boat buddy, and headed out and had to wait on the road while they backed into their camp, and I had to give them a "I told you so":

later that evening they brought me a beer by camp:)

And just WHAT ELSE did they bring you?!?!!:D :toast: :love:

TMCNo1
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
And just WHAT ELSE did they bring you?!?!!:D :toast: :love:

Ouhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, dirty old man!

Sodar
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Ouhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, dirty old man!

Hey, if Milk is flirting with someone, I would hope he gets more than just a beer!! ;) :D

trickskier
03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Wally Ramp...............

Sodar
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Wally Ramp...............

Atta Boy Trick ... Good Catch!!

dapicatti
03-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Ouch- it hurts to look at that.

edwinfuqua
03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
It's a learning curve, everybody makes mistakes. Some just cost more than others.
Edwin

Sodar
04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
This picture makes me laugh... only in Hava-Zoo, do people sit around the launch ramp for entertainment!!!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/mraff/havasu%203-31/Havasu3-31056.jpg

bobbyB
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Does anyone know what ramp/lake that is? Looks alot like Trinity Lake in N Cal.

B

Sodar
05-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone to shoot away for this thread. This weekend is when it all happens, new boaters, new boats, and new accidents. Gotta love the big weekends!!

pram
05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Last Tuesday we went out on the boat for supper and when I got to the ramp there were 2 guys in the middle of the launch (it is 2 boats wide) trying to load their boat. We put the kids in the boat, life jackets the whole nine yards then waited and waited and waited some more. I finally had to go and have a look. They had the trailer so far in the water that the winch handle was wet. Needless to say I wanted to launch so I got in the water and unhooked the boat from the trailer and had them pull the trailer 10 ft or so out of the water then loaded their boat for them. I need to remember to take the camera with me from now on.

trickskier
05-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone to shoot away for this thread. This weekend is when it all happens, new boaters, new boats, and new accidents. Gotta love the big weekends!!
I'll have my camera with me at all times.............

M-Funf
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know what ramp/lake that is? Looks alot like Trinity Lake in N Cal.

B

Funny, I thought it was Lake Sonoma, but all those ramps look the same after a while...:rolleyes:

DemolitionMan
05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I have an '84 and if anyone has a similar year, they know the trailer. (The kind where you have to drive on and someone else has to raise a pivot bar through the bow eye hook it) I was trying to get off the lake in a hurry in the middle of a thunderstorm. Left the boat in gear and reache up over the bow to hook it and the boat decided to overshoot. Ruined a prop and dinged up the trailer, but nobody got hurt! Just my ego. Anybody else ever do this, or do I have the stupid rights to the story?
Ive done that before in my dads 84 but never had that happen I learned it was better to load the boat and just hook the winch to it, then get on level ground and put the bar up.

macrogp18
05-23-2007, 05:57 PM
M-Funf i do believe that is Sonoma, the Lake that is only 45 min to launch from my house. I am pretty familiar with it.

M-Funf
05-23-2007, 06:06 PM
M-Funf i do believe that is Sonoma, the Lake that is only 45 min to launch from my house. I am pretty familiar with it.

It's about an hour from my house too, but only about 45 from where I store my boat in Santa Rosa........

Willski
05-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Ive done that before in my dads 84 but never had that happen I learned it was better to load the boat and just hook the winch to it, then get on level ground and put the bar up.

If that really works, I will feel really stupid. Can you get the boat up far enough?

Sodar
05-23-2007, 06:12 PM
This is one of our subcontractors...

Sodar
05-23-2007, 06:12 PM

Sodar
05-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Doug G
05-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Is that the truck back there under water? Still subbing for ya?

Sodar
05-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Is that the truck back there under water? Still subbing for ya?

Yeah, that is the truck back there. Yeah, he is still subbing for us.

Doug G
05-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Sorry , hit reply before the third pic was up.

That makes for a bad day at the lake!

That isn't a diesel is it ?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Sodar
05-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Sorry , hit reply before the third pic was up.

That makes for a bad day at the lake!

That isn't a diesel is it ?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Nah, just a 1500 5.3L

betsy&david Harrison
05-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Should have baught a 2500!

Doug G
05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Should have baught a 2500!

Congrats you beat UMP to it. For a prize you get a straw drink for in the bote!
8p :toast:

betsy&david Harrison
05-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Congrats you beat UMP to it. For a prize you get a straw drink for in the bote!
8p :toast:
Maybe we have been rubbing elbows so that now we think similarly:D

Doug G
05-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Maybe we have been rubbing elbows so that now we think similarly:D

OH GAWD NO!!! Let's hope it is only a short term malady.

betsy&david Harrison
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
OH GAWD NO!!! Let's hope it is only a short term malady.

Everything is short term around here...isn't it?

DemolitionMan
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
If that really works, I will feel really stupid. Can you get the boat up far enough?

When the carpet is wet it will usually winch on up.

BuoyChaser
05-23-2007, 09:45 PM
severe exposure to salt!!!

Willski
05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
When the carpet is wet it will usually winch on up.

I'll check it out, but my winch doesn't pull the boat toward the tow vehicle. It pulls the boat down toward the trailer. This would be helpful on those days I'm loading by myself, or loading the boat when it is not running, which happens occasionally with an older boat!

Doug G
05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
severe exposure to salt!!!

At least the wipers are on :confused:

MasterCrafting
05-24-2007, 12:18 AM
At least the wipers are on :confused:

It was the moisture sensing auto wipers.

macrogp18
05-24-2007, 12:54 AM
M-funf, if ever on sonoma and you see or hear a balck x-2 with no graphic come and say whats up.

mfmbcpman
05-27-2007, 02:08 PM
No pictures yet from this weekend? Someone has to have some, :D

ProTour X9
05-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I saw an idiot fishermen who couldn't back up to save his life, and I was worried about calm water!!:purplaugh

milkmania
05-27-2007, 03:17 PM
No pictures yet from this weekend? Someone has to have some, :D

still got a while before they try to load the boats;)

TX.X-30 fan
05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
still got a while before they try to load the boats;)

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

X2M
06-09-2007, 11:55 PM
The boat ramp was a really fun place to be this evening. Not only was it a very busy saturday but we were all fighting a current and 30 mph winds. OMG...:eek: I wish I had the camera out to take some pictures. Lots of unhappy boaters.

I saw one funny group when my husband dropped me off at the dock to get the trailer. Walking up the dock there were two bikini clad ladies trying to hold a pontoon boat off the dock. I felt pretty bad for them. The big guy in the boat was yelling at them to keep it off the dock. Yeah right, like they were strong enough to do that. As I walked away I heard one of the ladies using some very inventive cursing at the big guy. LOL...you go girl! :D

We saw only one MasterCraft out on the water today...yeah only one...it was a very pretty '06 X-30 being pulled over by the Boat Patrol. They ended up being towed to the dock and arrested for DUI.

atlfootr
06-11-2007, 09:24 AM
We saw only one MasterCraft out on the water today, yeah only one.
A very pretty '06 X-30 being pulled over by the Boat Patrol.
They ended up being towed to the dock and arrested for DUI.And here I thought, that only happened to the other guys ...

trickskier
06-11-2007, 10:46 AM
He looks more like a SUB-MARINE commander to me...............:rolleyes:

Sodar
09-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Just adding to it!

ski_king
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
A friend told me this story on Monday.

He is selling his 24 ft. big block cuddy I/O.

He has a prospective buyer and agrees to meet him at a local ramp.
They do the demo and then go to take it out a hour later. He usually has his wife drive the boat on the trailer and he drives the truck. This time he went alone and ran the boat up on the trailer, attached the winch strap and tightened it up and then got in the truck to pull it out.

He then he heard a "bad" sound of something dragging and heard his winch strap break.
He forgot to lift his lower unit, it dug into the ramp, broke the winch strap and pulled the boat 6 feet off the trailer.

After about a hour of tieing up the ramp, he finally got the boat back on the trailer (after he realized it may help to raise the lower unit) and when he was on his way.

Believe it or not, he did sell the boat to the guy.

I told him I am glad he sold his boat.

Chas
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
No pics, but my late Uncle owned a marina on the Sacramento River Delta - outside of Stockton. "Turner Cut" had covered berths, houseboats for rent, bar/grill, campground etc.

But as a boy, by far the best thing I enjoyed doing was watching as his manager would pull people's cars/trucks out of the water. They kept a little Ford tractor near the ramp and pulled two or three out each Saturday and one or two each Sunday. Weekdays for some reason seemed to draw a wiser crowd - perhaps without a line of people waiting to launch it was easier to remember to set the parking brake.

The last one I saw was just a few years ago: a guy had two stand-up Kawasaki Jet Skis in the back of a pickup truck. He decided to wait in line, and when his chance came he backed way down the ramp and into the water. All the way in. I don't know if he was waiting for the skis to just float out of the truck or just missed the brake pedal, but he got far enough in that they would have floated free if he hadn't had a lumber rack which kept them firmly in place, removing great chunks of gel coat as it did so.

The little tractor had it's work cut out for it on that one. Lots of water in the bed, toolboxes, cab, engine compartment. Put on quite a water show as it came up the ramp. He hadn't even put the tailgate down!

The manager had learned years before to wade in and make the connection to the vehicle himself. If the upset car owner did it, you were just about guaranteed to pull the bumper off the first try, the bumper support the second try, the grill or other sheet metal the third try, and finally the radiator/hood support. And then the manager would have to wade in anyway...

And then there were the folks who forgot the plug, of course.

One time a couple launched, and then got into an argument. They finally drove away together, but had left the boat tied up in the water idling. Don't remember how long they were gone, but it was most of the day. Somebody finally had to go shut it down as it began to smoke so much people were finding it difficult to back down the ramp.

Sodar
04-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Pretty classic! Best part about it, is rather than wait for the tide to come back up and just float the boat off, they just backed the trailer into the bow eye and pushed the boat back into the water! Nothing like the sound of scraping gelcoat on a concrete ramp!

uawaterskier
04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
ouch he had a bad day

Monte
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Just adding to it!

How in the hell does that happen? Is the tow vehicle laying somewhere down the embankment?

Sodar
04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
How in the hell does that happen? Is the tow vehicle laying somewhere down the embankment?

Truck is out of frame to the left. The boat popped off the ball while making the turn and slid right over the curb. Chains and lighs were not connected! :rolleyes:

Ryan
04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Pretty classic! Best part about it, is rather than wait for the tide to come back up and just float the boat off, they just backed the trailer into the bow eye and pushed the boat back into the water! Nothing like the sound of scraping gelcoat on a concrete ramp!

Hey, now the bottom of that ramp gets pretty slimey with those super negative tides, that looks like a perfectly sensible solution. 8p

How much of a hurry can you be in to not wait for the tide? What an idiot!

wakechic2786
04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I saw an idiot fishermen who couldn't back up to save his life, and I was worried about calm water!!:purplaugh
Kinda like this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qT4UuIWnkY&feature=related

wakechic2786
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-780447087817720810&q=boat+trailering&ei=ji8OSMR3jJqvAq7F0LAE&hl=en

sdesmond
04-22-2008, 02:47 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-780447087817720810&q=boat+trailering&ei=ji8OSMR3jJqvAq7F0LAE&hl=en

Thats great!!!!!

Monte
04-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Truck is out of frame to the left. The boat popped off the ball while making the turn and slid right over the curb. Chains and lighs were not connected! :rolleyes:

Pure genious:rolleyes: Imagine if you had to follow him down the interstate:noface:

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 09:38 AM
ok... this didn't happen on the ramp but it's out of the water and i thought it was hilarious... i was pulling back from the water sunday and we stopped at a redlight... as always my bilge was on auto for front and rear pumps... well as we're sitting there the bilge kicks on and starts kicking water out... there was a kia beside my boat w/ the windows down and it was pouring in the driver's lap and they rolled forward which only made it come in the back window... why they didn't roll up the windows i will never know... but when the driver noticed the water pouring in the back seat now they rolled back and again got a nice stream right in the face/lap until they got the water stream to the windshield just in time for the bilge to kick off... i mean it could not have lined up any better but the water was pouring perfectly in the window... the whole time i watching this happen there were four of us in the truck and two of us are about to fall out of the truck laughing too hard to let them know what was going on... needless to say i gave the tundra about all it had getting out of that intersection b/c i'm betting that was one pissed kia driver... top 10 funniest things i've ever witnessed

mrprostar
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Thats almost sounds too funny to be an accident. Very funny.

Gonzo
04-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Not a horror story or anything...

We had a place on lake gaston where from our deck we could see our boat ramp. It was steep and when it got wet on weekends it became a mess. As many of you I learned to put a boat in the water unsupervised by the time I was 13 or 14. Every now and then we would hear someone having a time getting up the ramp and my dad would take our "special" tow vehicle over and hook up to their trailer and pull folks out. One day a 4x4 Jeep is burning um up and cant get out of the hole. I stroll over there and stood on the tounge etc... but no help the jeep just couldnt make it. So I said let me get our ride an I will hook up and get you out of there, Pride got in the way and the guy stayed down there another 20 min before he told me to get my Dad and we would give it a shot. Dad was no where around so I went and got our 1972 Kingswood station wagon (a year younger then I am so at that time 13 yrs old), and drove up there. He started laughing when he saw me get out, after a min of talking he gave it a shot. Needless to say I pulled him out of there first time with no one on the back.... I still smile about that one, that wagon was a beast, had a chevy Big block in it too.

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Not a horror story or anything...

We had a place on lake gaston where from our deck we could see our boat ramp. It was steep and when it got wet on weekends it became a mess. As many of you I learned to put a boat in the water unsupervised by the time I was 13 or 14. Every now and then we would hear someone having a time getting up the ramp and my dad would take our "special" tow vehicle over and hook up to their trailer and pull folks out. One day a 4x4 Jeep is burning um up and cant get out of the hole. I stroll over there and stood on the tounge etc... but no help the jeep just couldnt make it. So I said let me get our ride an I will hook up and get you out of there, Pride got in the way and the guy stayed down there another 20 min before he told me to get my Dad and we would give it a shot. Dad was no where around so I went and got our 1972 Kingswood station wagon (a year younger then I am so at that time 13 yrs old), and drove up there. He started laughing when he saw me get out, after a min of talking he gave it a shot. Needless to say I pulled him out of there first time with no one on the back.... I still smile about that one, that wagon was a beast, had a chevy Big block in it too.

it had to have a big block just get it moving...those things are tanks

justinlkgb
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
ok... this didn't happen on the ramp but it's out of the water and i thought it was hilarious... i was pulling back from the water sunday and we stopped at a redlight... as always my bilge was on auto for front and rear pumps... well as we're sitting there the bilge kicks on and starts kicking water out... there was a kia beside my boat w/ the windows down and it was pouring in the driver's lap and they rolled forward which only made it come in the back window... why they didn't roll up the windows i will never know... but when the driver noticed the water pouring in the back seat now they rolled back and again got a nice stream right in the face/lap until they got the water stream to the windshield just in time for the bilge to kick off... i mean it could not have lined up any better but the water was pouring perfectly in the window... the whole time i watching this happen there were four of us in the truck and two of us are about to fall out of the truck laughing too hard to let them know what was going on... needless to say i gave the tundra about all it had getting out of that intersection b/c i'm betting that was one pissed kia driver... top 10 funniest things i've ever witnessed

Ha THATS awesome:D :D

Gonzo
04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
it had to have a big block just get it moving...those things are tanks

Thats what we called it, it stayed at the lake parked in the woods with a tarp over it. Everyone on our street had a key to it and helped keep it running, that way no one ever got stuck. Didnt stop using it until the rings got burnt up and you had more smoke the horsepower.

cdawake
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Last summer I was on a deck at a restauraunt next to a very long and narrrow ramp. A guy with A F250 backed a brand new Cobalt 263 down the ramp, but unfortunately didnt see the curve at the end. It went off the side of the ramp and made the worst sound I ever heard. They ended up launching the boat, but the trailer wasn't driveable.

Sodar
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Stories are great... pictures are better! :D

wakeX2wake
04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Stories are great... pictures are better! :D

o if i had a video of my "incident" not only would i gladly send it to you but Bob Saget would have a copy and i'd have a $10,000 check for the funniest thing anyone has ever seen

Roonie's
04-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Last summer I was on a deck at a restauraunt next to a very long and narrrow ramp. A guy with A F250 backed a brand new Cobalt 263 down the ramp, but unfortunately didnt see the curve at the end. It went off the side of the ramp and made the worst sound I ever heard. They ended up launching the boat, but the trailer wasn't driveable.

Did this by chance take place at Hill's resort? I saw something similar last summer.

DZ011
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Well here is my ramp blunder story!
One sunny Sunday in the late nineties, I had taken my Centurion to my buddies place and welded up the trailer fender. It didn't take very long to do the job,...sooo,... stopped at the Silver Beach Pub to wet my thirst. Long story short,.. we launched that ski boat on Silver Lake (8mph limit) The ramp was dirt and I backed it in fine. However, to pull it out, I was in a hurry 'cause I made a couple quick laps around that lake. As I was backing the trailer I noticed it was floating, due to the ramp flattening out too quickly IMHO. So I kept going back, I must have had my truck a good twenty feet from shore,:o The trailer floating ever so slightly and PJ coming in! I tried to wave him off,.. no good. The boat came on just fine though:) . As I opened the door to put the pin through the eye I noticed water coming in my truck. 1997 Ram 2500 4x4. Pulled the boat out, parked it & kept drinking. Sold the truck.

So Sorry, No Pics.

Carbon Dreams
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
So there I was waiting for the ramp at Lake Berryessa in the early 90's. Normally, we didn't even attempt the lake on a Sunday due to the insane nature of that lake. Hmmmmm, now I know why. So.....A Tahiti hull jet boat was parallel to the shore just off the boat ramp. The owner was standing just past his calves and drinkin' a few sudsies. All his buddies had just arrived with their jet boats. Those were the ones we were waiting for. He decided that it would be a great idea to start his boat and rev the engine and blast his buddies with water. BTW he is still standing along side his boat. Well...as he cranked it over the throttle was stuck fairly wide open and with the bucket engaged forward. The boat did a 270 in it's own length and jumped out of the water about 3 ft and ended up on the shore adjacent to the boat ramp 10 ft from the water. I promptly slid the ol suburban in Drive and headed home. I wish I had a camera.

Chas
04-29-2008, 09:39 PM
BTW he is still standing along side his boat. I wish I had a camera.

Yeah, I have found that even with all of our work to add ballast to these boats, that hundred to two hundred pounds in the driver's seat really does make an amazing difference.

thijs
05-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Well our first time out to Ghost Dam today. There was still ice on the shore lines in the shade, brrrr. Anyways, this is not about about us, we have never had anything but a dream at the launches (with our ProStar).

It seems all the Wallies who bought their boats were out trying them out this weekend. Just about got hit by a moron tubing (no offense Toober Tom). Saw a ?2004 Vdrive 'Bu- with 3 wallys equipped with bouy-o-bouy vests... see attached.

Well to the ramp. We were already out an decided to go back to the ramp for a giggle and a beer.

Well picture this- A huge family of Pollaks with a big newer stern drive Bayliner type deal waiting to get on the trailer. Pollak number one is trying to back the trailer down the long ramp (very low water) but doing the back five feet ahead four with Pollak's 2-15 yelling at him how to do it, but none jumping in. One askes me to back it in and I agree. A hundred feet back down the ramp in a flash-- okay back to my beer.

Well now #16 backs the bugger in so deep the winch is only 18" out of the water and #17-20 in the boat drive the boat at an angle over the trailer with #16 trying to pull it straight with a rope- from the side of the truck.

At this point mom asked me to go help them. So I go down there and walk along the trailer, pull the boat straight and instructed 16 to pull out a bit-but he wanted deeper because the bowring was too low. So he goes deeper:( He came back and I tried to explain to him the bow would come up if we could get the stern less than 4' from the trailer. Nope deeper he goes. So I plead to just try my way-- no S%^t it worked.

Well I figure I could leave them alone now with the rage of 16 and the confusion of the rest and the most painfully embarrased teenaged girl (#17) whom could understand what I was asking and figured I knew what was going on but no one would listen to her or I.

Wrong. Leg down- thank mom pollak (#19). THUNK.

I never knew Polish could be such a colourful language.

My good deed for the season I guess.

Hollywood
05-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Did you get 17's #?

thijs
05-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Did you get 17's #?

I can't really tell now a days, but she may have fallen below the *"half plus seven rule". Really with the way kids and teenagers are dressing, who knows! {Plus I am married and #17 was a little too well fed}

* 27/2= 13.5
13.5+7= 18.5

Try the half your age plus seven rule, it works!

Maristar210
05-21-2008, 11:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/P1010008.jpg

thijs
05-21-2008, 11:47 AM
You talking to me Mr. Ambulance driver?
Ahhh!, you look like #16.

craig3972
05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I was at Ghost on sat and sun. On the sunday I watched a family of Lebanese desent launch their 1986 searay i/o. after they flaoted away from the trailer and couldnt get it started, my buddy dropped me off on their boat so i could show him how to put the throttle in neutral so as to rev the engine without engauging the propeller. that motor ran so rough i thought it was on 2 of its 4 cylinders... i cautioned them not go out in the boat that day.
All of that happened after i saw a guy pull his boat up the launch with the skeg dragging... i had to whistle and yell at him to stop... it took a while.
My all time fav was the boat load of chinese teenagers in a brand new Moomba Crow -all purple and shiny- with the rope wrapped so tightly around the prop and shaft they had to put it on the trailer to get it off.

shepherd
05-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I can't really tell now a days, but she may have fallen below the *"half plus seven rule". Really with the way kids and teenagers are dressing, who knows! {Plus I am married and #17 was a little too well fed}

* 27/2= 13.5
13.5+7= 18.5

Try the half your age plus seven rule, it works!

Great story thijs!

(You may want to work on your math skills. :rolleyes:)

thijs
05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Shoot! (I prefer 18.5 anyways) ;)

13.5+7=20.5

TMCNo1
05-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Great story thijs!

(You may want to work on your math skills. :rolleyes:)

I thought we has SifferCheck here on Team Talk?:confused::rolleyes::D

shepherd
05-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Shoot! (I prefer 18.5 anyways) ;)

13.5+7=20.5

Just trying to keep you out of trouble. ;)

mlay
05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
With all the web cams out there now days, wonder if there is one of a popular boat ramp. That would be fun to watch on weekends when the local weather prohibits boating.

Utahfoiler
06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I was at the lake waiting to load, and witnessed this. A jet boat was having problems loading, so the guy next to him was loading his jet skis. He stopped to help the jet boat load on his trailer properly. They all got load fine and was starting to pull away. The other guy with the jet skis left his driver side door open. The car missed the door, but the trailer caught it and bent it all the way forward before they stopped. Here is right after it happened.

T Scott
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I was at the lake waiting to load, and witnessed this. A jet boat was having problems loading, so the guy next to him was loading his jet skis. He stopped to help the jet boat load on his trailer properly. They all got load fine and was starting to pull away. The other guy with the jet skis left his driver side door open. The car missed the door, but the trailer caught it and bent it all the way forward before they stopped. Here is right after it happened.

That sucks! Geez, the other guy was just trying to help and he ends up with a door modification for his Expedition!!

thijs
06-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I vote jet boat guy at fault.

travelbytommy
06-02-2008, 02:32 AM
they really need to have some sort of boat launching class. I can back down the ramp, launch the boat, tie it to the dock, park the trailer, and cast off all in 5 minutes or less.

Chicago190
06-02-2008, 03:58 AM
I don't get it. I mean by myself I can prep my boat in the staging area, back it in, launch it, park the trailer, and be leaving the dock in less time than it takes most people to go from the start of backing in to removing the boat from the trailer. I can load the boat in even less time. Maybe I'm just crazy but I don't think its challenging to launch boats. When I'm with someone who knows how to launch boats we spend about a minute taking up a launching position. Do most people just not understand how to do basic boating tasks?

shepherd
06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
No "staging area" is necessary. I put the plug in the boat before I leave the house and don't use tiedown straps. When I get to the ramp, I just back her down the ramp, unhook the boat and drive her off while my wife parks the trailer. I tie up the ramp a little longer when I'm by myself because I have to park the boat at the dock and then run around to pull the trailer out and park it. Even then, less than 5 minutes.

wakeX2wake
06-02-2008, 09:19 AM
i really don't think most people think in terms of "ok, what has to be done? what can i do? what should i do first? and what's the quickest way to do what i'm doing?"... all basic things to think of all the time while being productive...

i've got a good crew... i'll get out put the plug in and make sure everything is squared away in the boat... other guy will get boat buddy released and unhook wench strap... and the couple of girls that are usually with us will make sure all towels, cell phones, wallets, and mp3 devices/cds are loaded in the boat... we're usually all in the boat w/ gear loaded and headed to our riding spot in less than 5 mins... KNOW YOUR ROLE!!!

SkiDog
06-02-2008, 09:33 AM
here's some fine one's at my marina.

TX.X-30 fan
06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
If it takes more than a minute or so something is wrong!!!!!! All weekend I waited on idiots, and this is on a community ramp gated access and all so you would think most will have a clue WRONG!!

Loading yesterday I get off at small dock get the trailer and 1 boat is ready to back in "Lil Chili Pepper" :rolleyes: So I back into position and wait. 10 min. of crap and they still have not backed down, finally backs down and just gets the rear tires wet, stops there and proceeds to find and install 8 or 10 life jackets on the heard of kids another 10 min. Now he starts the boat of course way to shallow so they rock the boat gun it and finally check the bow whoops still tied on! Ok so now I need another beer and a Valium:D more rocking until they finally back down some. We took 45sec. tops. A 5 year old on our boat with my wife overheard my son 8 say to mom hey they need to back up alot so he start yelling at the guy to back the boat in more. 8p

The dock is a 1 boat pick up drop off deal, People are so stupid or inconsiderate or both, they will tie off and dick around waiting for guests or whatever with the trailer person waiting to get on and me just turning circles.

TMCNo1
06-02-2008, 10:21 AM
here's some fine one's at my marina.

I bet they were trying to install a second battery, ya think?:rolleyes::D

SkiDog
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
I bet they were trying to install a second battery, ya think?:rolleyes::D

Smart a$$!

stuartmcnair
06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I am sooooo glad I don't have to use a public ramp...it would drive me insane waiting on people.....

alletric
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
No picture but the last time we were at the ramp there was actually a 26 ft Chaparral I/O deck boat perpendicular to the trailer across the front of the fenderwells. the trailer had guide ons and they claimed the boat actually went through them from the rear and did not come in from the side. I guess the trailer was so deep that the boat came in at an angle and at some point the driver pulled out a little and it was hung. I still don't really understand how or why it just was. Heck of a thing to do with a 50,000.00 boat. At the same time on ramp 2 there are 5 teens and one smoker with no way to make it up river to the sandbar. Being resouceful they decided that they would lay out on the ramp docks and tie one ramp to launch from all day. So the game wardon comes along and tells them to scram. The next move was for all 5 to get on a 2 man pwc and make a run for it. Bare in mind the wardon was still at the dock watching the whole thing. Public launches are the best. Luckily it is a three ramp launch so everyone else can use the only one left.

wakeX2wake
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
witnessed another moment yesterday on the ramp... we pull up and there's an older (old) couple in an old small (probably 17ft) deck boat looking boat w/ a 70hp johnson on the back... the man is in the boat and they start down the ramp as i'm dropping my friends boat in the water (keeping in mind she's backing a mid 80s model ford truck w/ the exhaust apparently cut off some where just behind the heads)... now the points at which the boat contacts the trailer (and there were many) were all rollers... and all i hear is the winding of the winch as the woman broke the crest of the ramp on her way back down at this point the woman hits the brakes and... yep you guessed it... the boat is more than half way off the trailer and the man (at least 70) has this look of complete fear on his face... somehow w/ the boat 3/4 off the trailer and the prop of the 70hp johnson on the concrete the winch catches and stops the boat from completely unloading from the trailer some 5-6ft short of the waterline on the ramp... well i'm there in pure shock and can't move and then the woman pulls forward and as if it had happened before the man instinctively pulls the motor up (keeping in mind the boat is a 45 degree angle to the plane of the trailer at this point)... so the woman puts the truck in park while the man is struggling to hold the small motor off the concrete and he's yelling for her to back up (still can't move b/c i'm a) horrified and b)affraid to get in the middle of this series of catacalismic events) she then yells back to him huh? about three times all the while he's telling her to BACK UP!!!... at this point she shuts the truck off and yells back to him "I can't hear a BLAME thing you're saying" (she's obviously aware of the undesirable situation at hand yet unmoved by her husband's state of distress)... at this point i'm out of the truck and trying to figure out how to help these folks fix this while maintaining a helathy level of respect toward this elderly couple so they might keep their dignity... i look to the man who's found some comfort in holding the motor up by now and i tell him if he'll just hold tight i'll see what i can do and i ask the lady to do the same... so now i've figured out there are ABSOLOUTELY NO hard bunks on this boat trailer and figure i can crank the boat back on to the trailer so they can finish getting this thing in the water and we can get to open water and OUT OF THEIR WAY... so i begin cranking the boat back onto the trailer and i make about three rounds with the winch and the old lady again resumes backing the boat down the ramp at which time i say to hell with and i'm cranking and walking trying not to get ran over b/c if this gets much more out of hand someone is going to be hurt and i really won't get a chance to ride... alas... the boat hit the water and i'm standing knee deep in water unhooking this boat from it's lifeline... iiiii mean ratchet rope (no strap it was a nylon rope)... after the unhook they both thanked me and i look at my friends in my buddys boat and they all have a look of pure astonishment over the cluster ____ of events they just witnessed... i then told the elderly couple it was no problem and to be careful out there and needless to say we might have broken a "no wake" zone up a bit trying to get out of there... not to mention while we were leaving the man fired the motor up still tilted in the boat and revved it a couple of times taking him a bit to figure out why he was getting no reverse... what a start to that day... we got to our riding spot and all held hands and said a prayer

rodecker1978
06-19-2008, 05:25 PM
LOL! Man....how you held your composure and provided assistance in that situation is beyong me! LOL!

atlfootr
06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
With all the web cams out there now days, wonder if there is one of a popular boat ramp.
That would be fun to watch on weekends when the local weather prohibits boating.
I know of a great spot w/ a killer ramp to film from, if you're near Lanier.

454Prostar190
06-19-2008, 05:56 PM
And...... You tell the story well!! That's a quality!

atlfootr
06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Witnessed another moment yesterday on the ramp...
Now that's quite an event, it would of been great if one of your bud's had grabbed a video camera and taped it for us all to see :)
Maybe, next tymne.

TX.X-30 fan
06-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Great wakeX2 for helping, ramp stuff is just amazing to me. I did have to take a break midway through the post for hunger, made a sammich and had the strength to finish. :D

duramaxer
06-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Well I just spent the afternoon at my buddies shop today welding my trailer guide back together. Not too happy about this because it was something that was not even my fault. Kind of sucks having to make the first repair on your new toy because of someone else.
I was at the lake the other day and some guy was "trying" to load his sea doo boat up beside us. I was just making my way towards the trailer and then for no reason he jammed his boat into reverse which spun him sideways for some reason into the starboard guide on the trailer. I didn't think to much of it because I was a ways back from the trailer and couldn't tell exactly how hard he hit it.
After getting home I was wiping down the boat in the garage and I noticed that the guide was bent so after closer inspection (looking under the fender) I could see that part of the metal frame that the guide is welded to had about a 3/4" tear in it.
So making a long story longer I was at the shop today to weld things back in place. Hope that it will still be strong enough. I think it should be because it was pushed forward not from the side so it should be plenty strong still for the boat coming on and off the trailer.
So no real point to this just venting is all.
Sometimes it is really fun to watch the sh** show at the ramp but too bad that day it did some dammage to something that I now had to fix.

SunCoast 83
06-23-2008, 01:13 AM
I heard that! REAL IDIOTS on some of our lakes around here.There should be a law against morons taking to the high seas :) Glad to hear you got it fixed. I wonder what it did to his gel coat.

duramaxer
06-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Hope that it left a reminder for him.

FHMan1905
06-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I have seen more near and some divorces occur on a boat ramp...had my truck hit twice had my boat hit once (that started a fight) had to back several boats in for people We have people around here who think it is alright to park on the ramp, trailer in water and all. I hate boat ramps....let me rephrase that...I hate stupid people...if you can't back up a trailer...buy a slip and leave it

FHMan1905
06-25-2008, 10:33 PM
oh yeah by the way...my granddad was a tourney fisherman and we have pics somewhere of me loading bass boats by myself for him when i was 4...i could load a boat before i could ride a bike i will look for the pics and post them

duramaxer
06-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Those would be some good pics to see.
Sure is amazing how all common sense goes out the window at the boat ramp. I agree if you can't back the trailer up you don't deserve to be out on the water. We were at the lake just the day before this dammage that I was talking about occured and my buddy had to back up a trailer for the guy in front of us in the line. Good for letting him do that though because we could be still there waiting.

FHMan1905
06-26-2008, 05:33 PM
My wife doesn't claim me at the boat ramp because I tend to voice my opinion to other people about their driving ability. She sits in the truck with the windows up backing me down. Yes my wife can back the trailer in. She is trained well...Haha

duramaxer
06-26-2008, 06:45 PM
That is a good skill for you wife to have for sure.

FHMan1905
06-26-2008, 07:42 PM
yeah it helps things go alot faster and smoother i just hope she doesn't lose her touch in the break between boats. Just sold my S&S looking for a tri star or something a little newer.

TX.X-30 fan
06-26-2008, 07:54 PM
My wife doesn't back but she rocks putting the boat on the trailer, cross wind and all. We are a less than 60 sec. ramp team. I have looked at other women checking her out amazed, but they are the ones where the hubby ties off backs down runs around yada yada yada. :D

I need to get her on the ramp and have her back the trailer down a few times, she would get it quick.

FHMan1905
06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
The way i did it...pulled up one day on a busy weekend..had one spot between two other vehicles pointed the trailer got out and said it put it right there...got in the boat and didn't give her a chance to say anything. Worked...was kind of worried i might be buying a bumper before all was said and done but she did great. We went back later during the week on an afternoon and she got the hang of the whole procedure

atlfootr
06-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Where are all the pic's :confused:
Let's see sum pic's :rant:

TMCNo1
06-26-2008, 09:02 PM
My wife doesn't back but she rocks putting the boat on the trailer, cross wind and all. We are a less than 60 sec. ramp team. I have looked at other women checking her out amazed, but they are the ones where the hubby ties off backs down runs around yada yada yada. :D

I need to get her on the ramp and have her back the trailer down a few times, she would get it quick.

Enough said!

TX.X-30 fan
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM

Enough said!

Never meant to insinuate we were that good #1. :D

Sodar
06-26-2008, 09:27 PM
That is alot of photoshop work, there Harold! :D

Chicago190
06-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Yeah, it almost looks like his boat is IN the water.

GASouthernMC
06-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I know of a great spot w/ a killer ramp to film from, if you're near Lanier.

Which ramp would that be? I've seen dumb people at just about all the ramps on the south end of Lanier, from East Bank and Shoal Creek all the way up to Van Pugh and Old Federal

sinister_designs
06-27-2008, 04:02 AM
I'm at the boat ramp at 5am through summer to avoid all these boat ramp fools

TMCNo1
06-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Never meant to insinuate we were that good #1. :D

I'm like you, I trust my wife and have always had the wife/daughter unload and load the boat, I've never done it in nearly 20 years! They learned early on having to use the bar, that you don't need to drive the boat on the trailer like your performing in a Joey Chitwood Thrill Show, just nice and gentle and it's there, without damage and having to replace components all the time because we didn't use any common sense.

TMCNo1
06-27-2008, 06:45 AM

:uglyhammeIt was a job, since the original was a 2 person inflatable boat I had to work with!

lanier92prostar
06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Which ramp would that be? I've seen dumb people at just about all the ramps on the south end of Lanier, from East Bank and Shoal Creek all the way up to Van Pugh and Old Federal

Dude, that is any ramp on Lanier on the weekends. Should be a course in boat ramp procedures before you buy a boat. The one I like is the DA trying to back the jet ski trailer with a full size truck. We sat and watched him use a both ramps at Charleston Park. Stayed out of his way until the jet ski was on the trailer.

Utahfoiler
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Here is a jet boat that sits 6 inches above the water. They were sitting along the beach and a wave came over the back and just sunk the boat. They were near the beach so they were able to tow it back to the ramp and load it up.

jimmer2880
08-18-2008, 03:32 AM
funny seeing the tow ring on the back of the Jet boat. Like anyone would ski in that massive rooster tail :eek:

We used to have dozens of them where I boat. Funny, how this year, I've only seen 1 so far :confused: Perhaps they can't afford to play anymore?

jraben8
08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
That one should double as a lifting ring...

Skipper
08-18-2008, 08:32 AM
funny seeing the tow ring on the back of the Jet boat. Like anyone would ski in that massive rooster tail :eek:

We used to have dozens of them where I boat. Funny, how this year, I've only seen 1 so far :confused: Perhaps they can't afford to play anymore?

I lived at Lake Powell from 1968 until 1996. Used to be that everybody had a jet boat with tow ring in the back. Rarely saw an inboard. Now ginormous wakeboard boats are all the rage.

Hell, I learned to ski behind an 18 ft Tahiti. No wake - nasty rooster tail.

coz
08-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I lived at Lake Powell from 1968 until 1996. Used to be that everybody had a jet boat with tow ring in the back. Rarely saw an inboard. Now ginormous wakeboard boats are all the rage.

Hell, I learned to ski behind an 18 ft Tahiti. No wake - nasty rooster tail.

Late 70's & 80's I had a 19 ft Hallett with a 427 chevy and that was the hot boat in the day and I had the exact same thing happen to mine, swamped and floating bow up down the colorado river. We were able to get it to shore and put it on the trailer, took it home flushed everything out and added new oil and we were back on the water the next day :D

That was a very fast and bumpy semi-v boat :cool:

Sodar
08-18-2008, 09:15 AM
The jets are still out there, but most play on the smaller and shallower areas of the river here in SoCal.... away from the wakeboats that throw stupidly huge wakes for mostly inexperienced riders. I love it when I see a boat throwing a waist high wake for a guy that can barely get outside the wake. Seems like such a waist of fuel, wear and tear and all while ruining the water for others.

Coz, my best buddy had a 19' hallett with a 454 roller rocker in it. We were cruising out in front of La Paz when a wakeboat decided he was going to try to beat us out and started kicking about 100' off our bow. We made it over the first roller, but lost it on the second. It was bad... my lenses of my sunglass popped out and went to Davy Jones' Locker. With all the water, it choked out the scoop intake on my buddy's boat and as you said, it went floating down the river bow up!! We ended up getting my old MC and pulling it on a plane while my buddy bailed with a bucket. Just drain the cylinders, change to oil and clean out the distrubutor. Boat was back on the water for evening glass off! :D

coz
08-18-2008, 09:48 AM
The jets are still out there, but most play on the smaller and shallower areas of the river here in SoCal.... away from the wakeboats that throw stupidly huge wakes for mostly inexperienced riders. I love it when I see a boat throwing a waist high wake for a guy that can barely get outside the wake. Seems like such a waist of fuel, wear and tear and all while ruining the water for others.

Coz, my best buddy had a 19' hallett with a 454 roller rocker in it. We were cruising out in front of La Paz when a wakeboat decided he was going to try to beat us out and started kicking about 100' off our bow. We made it over the first roller, but lost it on the second. It was bad... my lenses of my sunglass popped out and went to Davy Jones' Locker. With all the water, it choked out the scoop intake on my buddy's boat and as you said, it went floating down the river bow up!! We ended up getting my old MC and pulling it on a plane while my buddy bailed with a bucket. Just drain the cylinders, change to oil and clean out the distrubutor. Boat was back on the water for evening glass off! :D

I actually went down around foxex and when we got in front of red rock campground all the drunks saw we need help so a bunch swam out and we were able to pull it ove to the shallows then everyone started bailing with whatever was available. When we were up on shore and dry I went up to the highway to thumb a ride to the house to get the trailer, 40 cars pass me then this big fat bearded dude on a harley stops and says hop on I'll give you a lift. So here I am on the back of this harley with my feet way up in the bit&h pegs and all I have on is a pair of shorts, that's it, I must have looked like his bit&h :o I did appreciate the ride though.

Sodar
08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
We were all staying at Branson's, so we let it float down a bit and then I swam into the docks and got my boat.

That is hilarious about the biker dude. It is pretty funny... sometime help comes from the guy you least expect it from!

Monte
08-18-2008, 10:42 AM
I went up to the highway to thumb a ride to the house to get the trailer, 40 cars pass me then this big fat bearded dude on a harley stops and says hop on I'll give you a lift. So here I am on the back of this harley with my feet way up in the bit&h pegs and all I have on is a pair of shorts, that's it, I must have looked like his bit&h :o I did appreciate the ride though.

That is some funny stuff right there...:D