PDA

View Full Version : VT Bill signed, NO observer required when in Slalom Course

VTJC
06-05-2006, 01:16 AM
After many years of work the Green Mountain Waterskiers(http://greenmountainwaterskiers.com/) were able to get the law governing observers amended. So as long as you have an approved tow boat, a mirror, a driver 18+ and are in a slalom course an observer isnít required. This is perfect for when I cannot get an observer for my 7am sets. I am glad my SportStar is on the list of approved tow boats:
http://usawaterski.org/graphics/downloads/ApprovedHistory83-06.pdf I know many states have even less stringent laws.

BILL AS PASSED HOUSE AND SENATE
H.81
AN ACT RELATING TO OPERATION OF A VESSEL USED FOR TOWING PERSONS ON WATER SKIS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 23 V.S.A. ß 3315(a) is amended to read:
(a) Except as provided in this subsection, a person shall not operate a vessel on any waters of this state to tow a person or persons on water skis, aquaplane, kite skis, wakeboard, kneeboard, or similar device unless the person being towed is wearing a United States Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device and unless there is in the vessel a person who is at least 12 years old, in addition to the operator, in a position to observe the progress of the person or persons being towed. Persons engaged in barefoot waterskiing may elect at their own risk to wear a non-Coast Guard-approved barefoot wetsuit designed specifically for this activity. An observer shall not be required if the vessel is:
(1) a tow boat approved by the American Water Ski Association and equipped with a wide-angle mirror having a viewing surface of at least 48 square inches;
(2) being operated by a person who is at least 18 years of age; and
(3) being operated within an American Water Ski Association regulation slalom course.

jimmer2880
06-05-2006, 06:27 AM
very cool. We just need a similiar law to pass in MD.

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 06:55 AM
After many years of work the Green Mountain Waterskiers(http://greenmountainwaterskiers.com/) were able to get the law governing observers amended. So as long as you have an approved tow boat, a mirror, a driver 18+ and are in a slalom course an observer isnít required. This is perfect for when I cannot get an observer for my 7am sets. I am glad my SportStar is on the list of approved tow boats:
http://usawaterski.org/graphics/downloads/ApprovedHistory83-06.pdf I know many states have even less stringent laws.

BILL AS PASSED HOUSE AND SENATE
H.81
AN ACT RELATING TO OPERATION OF A VESSEL USED FOR TOWING PERSONS ON WATER SKIS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 23 V.S.A. ß 3315(a) is amended to read:
(a) Except as provided in this subsection, a person shall not operate a vessel on any waters of this state to tow a person or persons on water skis, aquaplane, kite skis, wakeboard, kneeboard, or similar device unless the person being towed is wearing a United States Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device and unless there is in the vessel a person who is at least 12 years old, in addition to the operator, in a position to observe the progress of the person or persons being towed. Persons engaged in barefoot waterskiing may elect at their own risk to wear a non-Coast Guard-approved barefoot wetsuit designed specifically for this activity. An observer shall not be required if the vessel is:
(1) a tow boat approved by the American Water Ski Association and equipped with a wide-angle mirror having a viewing surface of at least 48 square inches;
(2) being operated by a person who is at least 18 years of age; and
(3) being operated within an American Water Ski Association regulation slalom course.
now just need your help to get a similiar bill proposed in new hampshire...

Kevin 89MC
06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Growing up I assumed Minnesota's law was common - no observer needed as long as there is a convex mirror on board. Luckily I was told othewise, rather than finding out the hard way, when I skied in Wisconsin. I don't take it for granted anymore on my luck of living in MN. We pay for it by having 9 months of winter though!

#47of100TeamMC
06-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, let's get that rolling over to the people who matter in WI.

(ok, that sounded arrogant... what I meant was "the people who matter" meaning the governing bodies who think it's necessary to have a 3rd party observer. In no way was I claiming us people in wisconsin actually "matter")

Wow, that was harder than it needed to be. :uglyhamme

VTJC
06-05-2006, 11:42 PM
BuoyChaser,

Now that Maine and Vermont have similar laws you should be able to use them as an example in New Hampshire. I thought NH was the Live Free or Die state anyway?

Jamie

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
i wont hold my breath for that to pass in california. were lucky we can still fart in public.. :confused: or can you :confused:

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 11:47 PM
BuoyChaser,

Now that Maine and Vermont have similar laws you should be able to use them as an example in New Hampshire. I thought NH was the Live Free or Die state anyway?

Jamie
is that what they call us, try "Stubborn as Granite State"...we just don't have a big enough voice yet, but now they've got a flatlander from ohio that has established some roots, LOOK OUT!!! :woohoo: