PDA

View Full Version : Speed Ski

WakeSeeky
06-04-2006, 07:14 PM
A couple weeks ago I mentioned speed skiing in another thread and, naturally, was asked for pictures. I didn't have any, but guess what came by us today? :D

Speed Skier (http://members.cox.net/saruch/speed_ski.avi)

It doesn't look close to us, but the guy was actually closer to us than I've ever seen. We were so surprised that we almost missed getting the video at all. So for what it's worth, that's a speed skier.

88 PS190
06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
people do stuff like that all the time in the ocean...

WakeSeeky
06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, and I believe they go faster in the ocean as well. This may be just one guy, the very few times I've seen this, it's the same boat. Still looks nuts to me. :D

Sodar
06-04-2006, 08:03 PM
I am observing for my best buddy in the Catalina Ski Race in July. check out http://www.nwsra.net , it is the governing board of racing.

The fastest races are the river/lake races. I have seen speeds in the 110's at Parker, Arizona. Here is a pic of my buddy's new speed ski boat. It is imported from Australia, where speed skiing is like baseball is here! If you guys have any questions or interest in getting into speed skiing, let me know!

Sodar
06-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Twin 2.5 Outboards on a 21' Boat.... PERFECT!!

WakeSeeky
06-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I have seen speeds in the 110's at Parker, Arizona.

:eek:

No way this guy was going that fast, we thought maybe 60 and he was FLYING. I can't even imagine what 110 looks like.

That boat is cool, I bet it's a rush just riding in it. I can't think of too many things I wouldn't at least try behind a boat, but this might be on that list. It is really cool to see, though. :)

SKI*MC
06-04-2006, 08:58 PM
look at the props on that thing!

ski_king
06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
east tx speed skier has a Maheraha Long board made for speed skiing.
I wonder how fast he has gone on it.

I once skied behind a old jet drive on my old 64 in. world team comp somewhere around 60. That wasn't fun at all.

That speed boat looks like it could be fun, but looks way too fast for me.

shepherd
06-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Twin 2.5 Outboards on a 21' Boat.... PERFECT!!

Where's the Mastercraft sticker? ;)
Sounds like MC needs to put out a new speed-ski boat. How 'bout it? They just recently came out with a center console fishing boat didn't they? So why not this???

Mi.mc
06-04-2006, 11:30 PM
that's a sweet lookin boat

ajgressette
06-05-2006, 07:17 AM
If Mastercraft makes a boat like this I will be first in line to buy one! :steering:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-05-2006, 09:27 AM
The concept of SPEED skiing scares me. He11, I get uncomfortable when I get too fast behind my boat. If my mom tows me, she is really heavy on the throttle on take off, and she dont back off to cruise speed soon enough. sometimes I hit about 40 mph for a few seconds before she realizes and backs down to 33 or so. 40+ mph shakes my nerves, I cant imagine what 60 or 100 mph is like :eek:

east tx skier
06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
east tx speed skier has a Maheraha Long board made for speed skiing.
I wonder how fast he has gone on it.

I once skied behind a old jet drive on my old 64 in. world team comp somewhere around 60. That wasn't fun at all.

That speed boat looks like it could be fun, but looks way too fast for me.

Answer: About 44 mph on a 150' line. Mine is the recreational version. I highly recommend it for those not so glassy days. But it's nice on the glassy ones, too.

tex
06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I skied with some Aussies who raced a few times. They used to say that you needed to do it one time. only once!

WakeSeeky
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Well to all of you that have even come close to trying it... :worthy:

So, the guy or guys we've seen are on two skis, but ETS is on one? I'm thinking one ski would be a lot harder and/or you'd go slower? Just curious, I know nothing about this sport other than it looks cool to see and would scare the pants off me to try.

Sodar
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I have never seen or heard of guys doing it on two skis. Everyone skis on one ski, usually about 8 feet long, with a line ranging anywhere from 150' to 275' long with a set of bridles attached. The bridles are held together by one hand at the small of your back, while the front hand is used to control the slack in the line. Here is a pic. I also fixed the link to http://www.nwsra.net/ . Check it out, they have a full explanation of the sport and the equipment as well as tons of pictures.

WakeSeeky
06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, maybe it's just been too far away to see clearly. Could have sworn the guy was on two, but I've been wrong once or twice before. :D

Thanks for the link, some great info there. I see that, unfortunately, they canceled the race at Mead this year. I didn't even know there was a race here. That would have been fun to see. :(

Sodar
06-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I just saw that too! I am pretty bummed! Lake Mead is an extremely fast and fun race, the only downside is that it gets extremely hot riding in the boat!!

M-Funf
06-05-2006, 11:57 AM
We used to ski behind a 1963 Rayson Craft flat-bottom V-drive with a blown 428ci V8. It looked exactly like this one but without the numbers and checkering:

http://www.millercustomboats.com/images/projects/rayson1.jpg

Top speed on the boat was about 90...scary as heck riding in the boat at that speed. Whoever was driving would increase speed until the skier dropped. I don't know how fast we'd be going, but it was pretty scary (stupid, too with no safety equipment) :eek:

WakeSeeky
06-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I just saw that too! I am pretty bummed! Lake Mead is an extremely fast and fun race, the only downside is that it gets extremely hot riding in the boat!!

Yeah, but it's a dry heat. ;)

east tx skier
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Well to all of you that have even come close to trying it... :worthy:

So, the guy or guys we've seen are on two skis, but ETS is on one? I'm thinking one ski would be a lot harder and/or you'd go slower? Just curious, I know nothing about this sport other than it looks cool to see and would scare the pants off me to try.

Getting up is a little different (takes longer to plane). Behind a MC, you could go wide open and not really notice the speed on my ski. It's just like you're cruising along. Nice big S turns.

bkhallpass
06-05-2006, 01:55 PM
I have never seen or heard of guys doing it on two skis. Everyone skis on one ski, usually about 8 feet long, with a line ranging anywhere from 150' to 275' long with a set of bridles attached. The bridles are held together by one hand at the small of your back, while the front hand is used to control the slack in the line. Here is a pic. I also fixed the link to http://www.nwsra.net/ . Check it out, they have a full explanation of the sport and the equipment as well as tons of pictures.

Many of the young kids starting out in the sport use two skis (young kids like under 10).

There is a novice division that uses comp slalom skis 69 or 72" . Speeds will only be in the fifties.

There is also a "hands out front" division which does not use a bridal. If you go to the majerajah website, you will see a picture of Todd Scruggs doing about 90 mph hands out front on the San Francisco Bay.
Todd was National Champion last year in the hands out front division.

There is really not much need to use more than about 100' feet a rope when skiing behind a common ski boat. the idea is to get back behind the wake to the smooth water and to avoid spray and prop wash. The 200' lines are more common when racing behind the big offshore boats with twin 500 plus hp i/os.

The high level race skis are in fact about 8 ft long, and also about 8 or 9 inches wide. They have a square back for stability.

Bob Majer, the founder of Majerajah is about 70 years old now and he still gets out and runs fast on these skis.

We also have a woman in town who is in her late 70s and still participates in speed skiing. Every year she goes out and "skis here age" on her birthday.

Now if you really want to see something crazy, check out speed barefoot skiing. Scott Pellaton of Discovery Bay set the record at about 120 mph. Scott and Mike Tembe set the Tandom record at over 100 mph.

BKH

WakeSeeky
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Now if you really want to see something crazy, check out speed barefoot skiing. Scott Pellaton of Discovery Bay set the record at about 120 mph. Scott and Mike Tembe set the Tandom record at over 100 mph.

BKH

:eek: :eek: Speaking of things I think I'll just watch...

Thanks all for great info, I had no idea this was such a big deal. :cool: