PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones

PendO
06-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Loading songs onto my wife's Ipod - wondering what your favorite Rolling Stones song is ... Mine is "Paint it Black"

shepherd
06-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Wow, hard to say. "Cool factor" would probably go to "Sympathy for the Devil", while their "rocking-est" in my book would be a tie between "Can You Hear Me Knocking" (cool guitar licks) and "Heartbreaker." And I love the guitar intro in "Gimme Shelter."

You just reminded me - I don't have any Stones on my iPod. :( I'll be visiting iTunes soon to get at least those 4 songs for myself...

shepherd
06-04-2006, 05:59 PM
"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is not available on iTunes :mad:
But "I'm a Monkey" is, which is another similarly rocking tune.

I also forgot - "Let it Bleed" is a cool tune too..., good acoustic guitar stuff and wild lyrics.

tex
06-04-2006, 06:09 PM
PIB is great! Under my Thumb ranks up there for me. Little T&A is great. I go through stages and never get sick of the Stones-The greatest Rock and Roll Band! I watched the movie Fear last night and Mazzy Stars version of Wild Horses rocks the rollar coaster...if you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean!

TonyB
06-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Loading songs onto my wife's Ipod - wondering what your favorite Rolling Stones song is ... Mine is "Paint it Black"

I've been a Stones fanatic since I came to be a teen in 1969. It's impossible to pick a single song.

Instead, if you'll indulge me, I'll list some cuts off my favorite Stones albums: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, and the live Get Yer Ya-yas Out. They all contain several cuts that belong on my favorites list.

The influence of Keith Richard pal, Gram Parsons (of Byrds and Flying Burrito Bros. fame) is heard on many acoustic country-blues cuts on Beggars Banquet. While BeggarsB is mostly known for Sympathy for the Devil and Street Fighting Man, the countrifried sounds of Dear Doctor and Jigsaw Puzzle get more play time at my house.

Let It Bleed shows the continued influence of Parsons on the cuts Let It Bleed and Country Honk. This entire album would have to go on my favorites list. It is perhaps their greatest album (IMHO).

Exile on Main Street contains at least five cuts that were recorded during the Let It Bleed sessions. One of those, "Sweet Virginia", is a particular favorite because it is one of the first songs I learned to play guitar and harmonica to. Rocks Off is also great as is Rip This Joint. Bobby Keys is fantastic on the sax on this album.

Sticky Fingers is the first album to fully feature Brian Jones replacement, Mick Taylor. His guitar work on this album stands out in stark and complementary contrast to Keith's rhythm work -- take a listen to Sister Morphine for a sample. That song always gives me chill bumps. And if Brown Sugar doesn't make you want to get up and jump around, nothing will.

Some Girls cuts to include are Miss You, Lies, Respectable, and Keith's Before They Make Me Run.

The live album, Get Yer Ya-yas Out, has the only instance of Honky Tonk Women to be released on a non-greatest hits album as it was only released as a single. Jumping Jack Flash is a keeper too.

Well, theres my :twocents: FWIW

tex
06-04-2006, 07:49 PM
That's what I love about this site. I love the Stones and just threw out a few less mainstream songs then Start me up and Satisfaction. Then someone throws out some great stuff that I've not thought about for years.
I graduated from high school in 1983 and that was around the time the Stones and the Who were making a huge comeback. It was a great time to be a Stones fan. The theme to my prom was Let's Spend the Night Together. The school people didn't get it-I did!

88 PS190
06-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Sweet Virginia.....

I'd probably put that up there, I don't like the stuff i've heard too often, from any band and i like the acoustic and harmonica.

east tx skier
06-05-2006, 10:43 AM
1. Can't you hear me knocking
2. Gimme Shelter
3. Monkey Man
4. Torn and Fraid
5. Rocks off.

Hoff1
06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Slave gets me going in the mornings.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Jumpin Jack Flash, and Gimme Shelter are my faves. I also like Harlem Shuffle too.

Hey Pendo, Paint it black is a great song. Hey, did you ever happen to hear Glenn Tipton's cover of that song? He is one of the guitarists for Judas Priest and he did a solo CD a while back in the 90's and he did a remake of Paint it Black, it was SMOKIN!!! Cool version, definetly heavier. If your interested, the CD is called "Baptism of fire"..... great CD.

BrianM
06-05-2006, 11:51 AM
did you ever happen to hear Glenn Tipton's cover of that song? He is one of the guitarists for Judas Priest and he did a solo CD a while back in the 90's and he did a remake of Paint it Black, it was SMOKIN!!! Cool version, definetly heavier. If your interested, the CD is called "Baptism of fire"..... great CD.

Just downloaded it on LimeWire. Pretty cool. Definitely heavy. :headbang: