PDA

View Full Version : Spare tires Theft question

kycat2007
06-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Do you guys put wheel locks on the spare or just tighten them down? I bought a new chrome steel wheel to match the others and I was scared to put it on the trailer where it could be stolen. If I had a wheel lock I guess that would remedy theft issues.

Great day in the water today. Water was a bit cool at first and breezy. I took my 3 yr old niece out and I think she wants a Mastercraft of her own. :)

88 PS190
06-03-2006, 11:21 PM
just remember to bring the wheel lock tool.

PendO
06-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Do you guys put wheel locks on the spare or just tighten them down? I bought a new chrome steel wheel to match the others and I was scared to put it on the trailer where it could be stolen. If I had a wheel lock I guess that would remedy theft issues.

Great day in the water today. Water was a bit cool at first and breezy. I took my 3 yr old niece out and I think she wants a Mastercraft of her own. :)

locking lug nut ... 1 per wheel ... does the job just fine

TMCNo1
06-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Have you got a single or tandom axle trailer?
If you have a single axle trailer and the locking lugnuts come in sets of 4, you can put 2 on the trailer and the extra 2 on the spare.
If you have a tandom axle trailer, you can get 2 sets of 4 keyed alike or 2 different sets and either way, use 2 of the 2nd set on the spare and you will have 2 extra locks.
But, either way you should use locks on your spare for peace of mind!

atlfootr
06-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Do you guys put wheel locks on the spare or just tighten them down?just remember to bring the wheel lock tool.What he said, and definitly remember to carry your wheel lock tool .... w/ you.
I went to a local tire store for new Goodyrs on the trailer, left lock lug tool at home --
well from here you probably can figure out the rest.
:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
What he said, and definitly remember to carry your wheel lock tool .... w/ you.
I went to a local tire store for new Goodyrs on the trailer, left lock lug tool at home --
well from here you probably can figure out the rest.
:uglyhamme

Just keep the lock socket in the glove box in the tow vehicle!

Evan Jones
06-04-2006, 09:54 AM
I've got a cable and padlock going thru it with the same padlock key as I use on the tongue. Pretty invisible to the passer-by, and I always have the key.

Kell
06-04-2006, 10:53 AM
I use one of these that I picked up at Walley World and made by Master Lock. Key to the lock is on the boat key ring.

http://www.masterlock.com/images/color_img/262dat_wkeys.jpghttp://www.masterlock.com/images/schem_img/262schematic.jpg

Solid zinc and steel construction

Chrome plated for corrosion resistance

Locks over wheel studs up to 9/16" (14mm) diameter

For use only on non-operating spare tire