PDA

View Full Version : 2004 MC Factory Cover Help

JohnnyB
06-03-2006, 05:26 PM
My "new to me" boat came with a factory MC cover. Overall, I think it is a sweet setup. It actually has a ratchet strap built into it to tighten the cover down, has to air vents in it and is made from a material similar to sunbrella....it's sweet!

Anyway, my problem is that there are two 1" x 5" pieces of velcro that hold the cover down just below the windshield. One of the two pieces was looking really ratty so I replaced it with some store bought self adhesive hook material. The adhesive isn't strong enough and its pulling off causing the cover to start to slide up the windshield when trailering.

Anyone else have this setup and replace their velcro?

Can anyone recommend an adhesive that will hold but that i can get off of the hull next time I need to replace the velcro strip???

crdickey
06-03-2006, 06:41 PM
This was a weak attempt to get the cover to stay down around the gunnel while towing. They has since added a strap sewn on to replace the velcro. The strap is adjustable and ties to the trailer. I have the same cover for my PS-197 and it made to fit with the MC Zeroflex mini or standard tower. I only use mine as a mooring cover and the wench tightens enought to hold the cover below the gunnel all the way around.

88 PS190
06-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Sounds like crdickey recommends having some webbing sewn in.

there is a 3m glue that's used by paul jager of www.jagersport.com that holds the velcro for the center of the double boot system. Go find the manual and look it up.

Not sure how easy it is to remove but it can be done.

Cloaked
06-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Duct tape or JB Weld... ;) :D

TMCNo1
06-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Take it to an upholstery shop, have them remove the old velcro and sew in new velcro. All upholstery shops carry velcro for use in repair and replacement jobs. The cost should be minimal and should not take but a few minutes at the most, unless they are swamped with work.

Footin
06-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Duct tape or JB Weld... ;) :D

And Superglue.

limegreen
06-03-2006, 09:03 PM
My buddy has a sweet custom $1200+ cover that is similar in concept to this MC type. To hold it down in the subject area, it has plastic angle iron type pieces sown in near the edge. These pieces lodge under the rub rail and when you tighten the strap it is bullet proof. Also, his belt strap is a cord, not a strap.

I plan to copy cat immediately because the strap that attaches to the trailer looks gay (IMO) when you are supposed to be going strapless.

I will post some photos if you like.

Cloaked
06-03-2006, 09:46 PM
........I will post some photos if you like.
I'd like, please.

(sewn)

JohnnyB
06-04-2006, 02:53 PM
This was a weak attempt to get the cover to stay down around the gunnel while towing. They has since added a strap sewn on to replace the velcro. The strap is adjustable and ties to the trailer. I have the same cover for my PS-197 and it made to fit with the MC Zeroflex mini or standard tower. I only use mine as a mooring cover and the wench tightens enought to hold the cover below the gunnel all the way around.

Do you happen to have any pics?

limegreen...please post pics of the set up you are talking about....sounds like a great idea.