PDA

View Full Version : Board Rack Debacle!!

Thrall
06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Just received a pair of racks from ND. The "Prostar" ones. They, however, don't come w/ the mounting plate. Kathy at ND said that all their Prostar towers they manufacture have that plate built in, welded in, in place of the crossbars mine have. Needless to say I am returning them because they're useless to me, and a bit upset about the deal, although it's prolly my fault for not specifying or asking since i assumed they came w/ the back plate.
This is strange, as I'm sure the tower is ND (fit and quality), although I bought it used.
Would like to see pics of any older Prostars w/ towers just to confirm r deny if they all have the rack plates as an integral part of the tower.
ND kind of insinuated that it had to be a knock off tower if it didn't have the plates on it.
What do you all think?

88 PS190
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Um, could all ND towers sold to mastercraft have that plate?

and ones not sold through the dealer have bars??

Ryan
06-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Um, could all ND towers sold to mastercraft have that plate?

and ones not sold through the dealer have bars??

Exactly what I was thinking. Are they calling their own towers knock-offs?

erkoehler
06-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Are they calling their own towers knock-offs?

I'd agree with the ones sold to MC have the plate, as the back of the plate has MasterCraft etched into it.

I'll go take some pics.

erkoehler
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Ok, here are some pics of what I believe they are talking about.....

tex
06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Thrall,

Not that this helps with your rack situation but, nice looking boat!

erkoehler
06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Back of plate facing the inside of the boat....

rodltg2
06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
heres is my nd tower ordered last year...

rodltg2
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
maybe a better shot

Cary K.
06-02-2006, 11:30 AM
The factory tower on my 2001 X-Star has bars in both locations. It still has MC etched/engraved racks, but the plate is part of the rack and it uses round clamps like the light bars to attach to the bars. I don't think I have any good pictures, but if I do I will post them.

Cary K.
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
It is going to be kind of hard to see, but if you look close enough you can tell, especially on the one farthest away. Ignore the other stuff in the picture that is irrelevant to this topic.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/files/f_audio_desc--1429_585.jpg

Thrall
06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, so far I stand corrected, although these are newer towers/boats.
Tex, thanks for the compliment.
Rod, sweet boat!
I think like Erk says, if the tower is/was sold to MC it has model specific plates on the sides.
Given my boat's vintage, my tower was not OEM and may have been one of the earlier ND towers built, and sold directly to the boat owner (bought it used).
Kathy did say she has only been w/ ND for a couple yrs, so it's entirely possible that the earlier towers were "bare" on the sides. Haven't talked to Wayne yet.
Oh well, anyone selling a nice set of aftermarket racks (no risque' comments please!) for a reasonable price?
I've seen a couple Fliud models, not too fancy for $220-240 per side. May get those.

PendO
06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
I wonder if someone has a picture of a factory tower from 2002 ... I was pretty sure our old X-9 tower just had the bars, but I can't remember for sure? We did purchase aftermarket ski and board racks, they were not ND, but did fit and work just fine ... just need to know the diameter of the tubing they are going around I guess.

I was wrong about the 2002, found a picture of an 02 at wakesiderides.com and it did not have the plain crossbar?

Thrall
06-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Not to jack my own thread, but Rod the reg stickers on your boat are CF ?
*** is up w/ that Cali abbreviation is CA. Why is it different for boats?

PendO
06-02-2006, 03:04 PM

Its okay man, the Washington letter are WN

rodltg2
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM

dont know, ask arnold :D

mitch
06-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I wonder if someone has a picture of a factory tower from 2002 ... I was pretty sure our old X-9 tower just had the bars, but I can't remember for sure? We did purchase aftermarket ski and board racks, they were not ND, but did fit and work just fine ... just need to know the diameter of the tubing they are going around I guess.

I was wrong about the 2002, found a picture of an 02 at wakesiderides.com and it did not have the plain crossbar?

Should have had the welded X like this one:

Evan Jones
06-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Get some good pictures of the plates, have them cut out and welded in. Then you can use the racks you have.

88 PS190
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Sure it'd cost less to find some racks that clamped on.

Jim@BAWS
06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Yours being a 1996 MC PS 190 has a tower that probably fit a SPORTSTAR/X-5. The older Xeroflex towers did not come with the aluminum cross piece. Probably 2000 0r 2001 tower.

Jim@BAWS

Wes
06-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Here are some Thirteenth Floor racks that mount on the bar. Don't know if you can see them well enough. They are separate pieces, giving you a little room to space them to your specs.