PDA

View Full Version : Flax packing 2004 x30

h20winn
06-02-2006, 01:30 AM
I am still pretty new to this style of engine with flax packing. Is the flax packing inside the brass nut? Also, is there four layers? I took off the brass nut it seems like it was as tight as it goes, I cannot get it any tighter. Can it be that at the factory they did not place all four layers but only three? What is the best type of flax and how often does it need to be changed. Is 4 layers correct? Any pics would help. Thanks

TMCNo1
06-02-2006, 09:56 AM
If you are refering to the stuffing box/shaft log, it is my understanding there are only 3 pieces of packing material inside. We have a '89 PS190 and the packing has never been replaced in 17 years and I do keep it tight to minimize dripping. A MC factory service rep told me several years ago, rather than replacing the old stuffing material with new, all you had to do was add 1 piece to fill up the gland.

88 PS190
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
if you are tearing into it just update to the OJ seal. No drips, no worries.

kycat2007
06-02-2006, 02:55 PM
The newer stuff is unlike the old rope style. I bought a small piece from my dealer and the 88 Tristar only had one rope wrapped around the inside of nut. I replaced it and used two or three pieces of the new stuff. I think the new stuff is actual dripless. Not positive on that though. :jumping:

h20winn
06-02-2006, 06:22 PM
So - if i understand correctly, I unscrew the brass nut ( inside the brass nut is the flax) then take out the flax that is inside the nut (that is if you can get to it) and wrap the new flax around the prop shaft and then screw the nut back to where is was until snug. So, I am taking the flax and wrapping the propshaft. Is that correct?

Kell
06-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I replaced my packing a year ago and the advice I received here and at DIM was to use three independant wraps and to stager the joints of each wrap so they don't overlap. I used a dental instrument I got from my dentist to extract out the packing rope. When I pulled it out, there were three pieces so this seems consistent with the advice that was give to me. This was not a fun project on a vdrive for a 6'4", 250lb guy crammed into the rear side compartment.

So - if i understand correctly, I unscrew the brass nut ( inside the brass nut is the flax) then take out the flax that is inside the nut (that is if you can get to it) and wrap the new flax around the prop shaft and then screw the nut back to where is was until snug. So, I am taking the flax and wrapping the propshaft. Is that correct?

east tx skier
06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I just redid my packing this year. There is an explanation in the FAQ. You have a choice in packing material between the traditional wax impregnated rope and a newer gortex nearly dripless material. I went with the old stuff.

h20winn
06-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Thanks everyone for the advise.. now all I have to is get the packing flax and get this done since I have so much water accumulating in the hull.