PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone on here knows..

Faded & X9-Rated
06-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Maybe someone on here can help me out...

You may or may not remember my post a few days ago about my engine knocking real bad.. Well I kind of have an update..

My local MC dealer can't look @ the boat till tuesday, so I took it to my dad's boat dealer to have them look @ it. The master tech there listened to it start up, he told me to give it a little throttle, then looked at me & said "Shut it off, this motor is done.." He said the lower end is was about to go & that the best thing to do is take it to the MC dealer. It's under warranty thank god. Well I went back later today to get the boat outta their lot & they were checkin the compression (they said it was really high) & said by lookin @ the plugs, it looked like I ran it hot. But the only time my temp went up was when I had somethin blockin the intake, so i immediately shut it down to let whatever it was (prob. a bag) dislodge & I was off w. no problems..

The last time I really ran the boat, we ran it a good ways, probably a 45-50 mile round trip, on the way back my oil presure read upwards of 80psi.. ?? Two days later my oil pressure read 5-10 psi & I immidiately took it out of the water, had the oil changed (it was due) & put it in monday. That's when I noticed the motor knockin real bad.. & that's where I'm at today.

Any guesses on what's wrong.. or what happened? I'm not that good with motors as of yet, but I'm learnin! This blows!! :huh:

Cloaked
06-01-2006, 07:45 PM
........ It's under warranty....... Done deal.... :headbang:

6ballsisall
06-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Done deal.... :headbang:

TRU DAT!! :guitar:

Faded & X9-Rated
06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
I guess it'd be a good time to put PerfectPass on it..

Think they'd let me get a bigger motor & just pay the difference ?? :)

6ballsisall
06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
I guess it'd be a good time to put PerfectPass on it..

Think they'd let me get a bigger motor & just pay the difference ?? :)

Probably not..... ;)

JimN
06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Overheats aren't covered by the warranty. If it did, it's stored in the ECM and the dealer will need to hook it up for diagnostics. I hate to rain all over your parade, but maybe you can sweet talk your dealer into letting you upgrade to the bigger motor.

MYMC
06-02-2006, 08:53 AM
No need to "rain"... overheats can be and are covered from time to time depending on circumstances. All mech claims are reviewed & judged on their own merits by Indmar.

Byrdman
06-02-2006, 03:13 PM
If not covered under warranty, then check with your insurance agent, it might be covered there....

M-Funf
06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
If not covered under warranty, then check with your insurance agent, it might be covered there....

I was going to say the same thing. My insurance company paid half of what an engine rebuild cost me ($2k of a $4k rebuild on a Merc 110 OB). They didn't even blink an eye. There was no DME record, no proof that I picked up the bag and overheated, just my word and the diagnosis of the mechanic...

RobertT
06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
REALLY trying not to threadjack here, but:

1. Will a newer MC sound an alarm if it starts to get too hot? I look at the gauges every ten or twenty minutes, but in that amount of time bad stuff can happen.

2. How do you check/clean the transmission cooler screen? I have an MCX, if that matters. Sounds like its something I really need to check.

PendO
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
No need to "rain"... overheats can be and are covered from time to time depending on circumstances. All mech claims are reviewed & judged on their own merits by Indmar.

I was hoping to hear somthing like this ... funny as I sit here an write out a check for the repair bill on a cracked block on a DT466 International:)

G-man
06-02-2006, 04:21 PM
robert t

There should be a audible alarm

To check the trans cooler you disconnect both hoses on the cooler and look in with a flash light

SKI*MC
06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
you should check your garges often! I check them about twice every minute! As for the engine, an upgrade would be nice, but pricey. Which engine are you looking at? The LQ9?

lakes Rick
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Deleted as I was being a rude SOB.....