PDA

View Full Version : Tranny slow to shift.. **Help**

brianaw26
06-01-2006, 06:07 PM
I repainted the engine and transmission and removed all the linkages and cables. After I reinstalled everything including the engine, I took it to the lake for a test before Memorial Day I discovered a problem. Once I got the cables adjusted to where they needed to be the transmission now takes about 1.5-2 seconds to shift into gear from neutral. If I shift the transmission by hand it works fine. It’s like the cable isn’t long enough to push it into reverse or short enough to pull it into forward at the same time.... :rolleyes:
If I adjust the cable to long it goes into reverse right after I hear the “click”, but It will not engage forward unless I go past the “click” and by then the engine is revving to high. If I adjust the brass adjuster thing one full rotation shorter it takes about 2 seconds to engage forward or reverse. If I adjust it one more turn shorter again it will only engage forward quickly after the click but wont go into reverse until a little past the click and again the engine is revving at that point. I dealt with this over the holiday by not letting anyone else drive. I didn’t want to toast the transmission by an impatient driver. But this is not right. Ideas?

Also the engine has no problems running at all but it takes about 3-5 seconds of cranking before it will start. It used to start right up as soon as I touched the key. I rebuilt the carb. Is there a setting I need to look at?

jimmer2880
06-02-2006, 09:07 AM
It sounds like your carb is running a bit lean & needs to be richened up (or, am I backwards & it's a bit rich & needs to be leaned?) It's one of the 2 though.

brianaw26
06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Could the second problem be the floats set a little off?

brianaw26
06-03-2006, 04:49 PM
nobody can help? I dont believe it.

FrankSchwab
06-03-2006, 05:46 PM
I have absolutely no experience with the shift linkage, but....
Are there two possible mounting locations for the shift cable on either the shifter or on the tranny shift arm? Try the outer hole on the shifter, or an inner hole on the tranny.