PDA

View Full Version : Oil issues ... NOT GOOD

atlfootr
06-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Oil issues .. H2o in my oil reservior, on my outboard :mad:
Definitly, NOT GOOD! :rant:
Has this happened to anyone else or am I the only one?

MarkP
06-01-2006, 04:57 PM
I cant imagine how it would get in. That oil is not cooled, (right?).

88 PS190
06-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Um, change it and see if you get it again? you could have a bad gasket (think head gasket in a car) that could allow water to seap out of the cooling passageways into the oil passages.

T Scott
06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
The bigger question is what type of damage did it do to your engine? Did you stick a ring and/or melt a piston? I can't imagine how water would get in your oil tank on your boat unless it is condensation. I had an oil pump go out on my waverunner a few years ago and I did some damage to the top end of the motor (stuck a ring, etc) After the repair, i disconnected the oil pump and started pre mixing. A pain in the arse, but at least I have peace of mind when I ride it.

Jorski
06-01-2006, 08:34 PM
First of all, you cannot get cooling water in there like in a car/4 stroke. This resevoir mixes 2-stroke motor oil with the gasoline as it passes by on its' way to the intake, it then gets burned and goes out the exhaust. The oil never gets returned to the tank.

This water cab only be from the outside. Either you caught a lot of water when stopping quickly and a stern roller nearly swamping the engine or there was a near submersion. Only other way is if someone tampered with your boat.

Check to see if the cap is tight and it is sealing properly. You definitely have to get that water out of there.

I have had this happen on a small boston whaler type of boat, but its' tank is mounted in the stern of the boat and it had pretty much sunk.

MarkP
06-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Oil issues .. H2o in my oil reservior, on my outboard :mad:
Definitly, NOT GOOD! :rant:
Has this happened to anyone else or am I the only one?
Have you pizzed anyone off lately?

JimN
06-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I would look at the double lines going to/from the motor and the oil reservoir to see if they are draped through the transom area and if there are any cracks in the hoses. If the hose is in water, it could be drawing the water into the hose as the the pressure from the motor stops. Otherwise, it may be a bad gasket on the motor. Remove the pressure line going to the oil tank (or loosen the cap on the larger oil tank) and see if it happens again. Don't forget to tighten the cap before running it on the water again, though. What I'm suggesting should be done on the trailer or sitting still. Your oil injector will still work when you do this so you don't need to worry, just clear out the water from the reservoir before you run it again.

Have you looked at the large oil tank in the rear of the boat? What did you see?

Footin
06-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Thats a reseve tank on the motor, the only way for the water to enter the engine from that tank is the push the swich on the bottom of the tank and it will drain into the primary oil tank.

My guess is that you have never "dumped" the oil out of that tank into the primary oil tank, maybe condinsation has built up over the years and you just noticed?

PendO
06-03-2006, 09:09 PM

JimN
06-04-2006, 03:46 AM
The tank opn the motor is the supply, not the reserve since it goes directly to the oil injector. The big tank in the boat is the reserve and it goes to the smaller tank by way of a pressurized line from the motor, which pushes the oil to the small tank and into the motor through the injector. The switch in the small tank in in the cap, not the bottom. The larger tank has no switch in it.