PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Zeroflex tower cracked ;(

mitch
06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
boat was going in the water this weekend and the last thing I needed to do was put my tower back on. That's when I noticed a nasty crack on the drivers side base piece. I've heard of others having success w/ welding theirs, so I'm on the hunt for a good welder. Anyone else having problems w/ their 02 Zeroflex. This is the x-star tower of that year. Thanks!

captain planet
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
OUCH!!! :( How did that happen? Was there water in it over the winter?

Cloaked
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Make sure you know the material specs for the tower and then consult the appropiate welder (as such) and make sure he / she knows the material compatibility with the tower and the filler metal and proper prep (not to insult anyone's intelligence, but make sure you find a welder in complete understanding of the applicable metallurgy). That and proper preparation is the success of a proper repair. That crack should be repairable from first glance. Don't just cover the crack with filler metal but prep the joint (should require minimal prep from looking at the pic), place a proper stress relief end point on each end of the crack (I'd drill a small hole on each end of the crack), then lay in the filler as needed. MIG, TIG, or GTAW.

I would even consider additional overlay beyond the crack, just for good measures.

Please do not take this as the proper procedure but use as a thought starter guideline. Your skilled welder should know exactly how to do this properly.

88 PS190
06-01-2006, 08:48 AM
JB weld and duct tape!!!...

sorry i was being a hick.

bigmac
06-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Make sure you know the material specs for the tower and then consult the appropiate welder (as such) and make sure he / she knows the material compatibility with the tower and the filler metal and proper prep (not to insult anyone's intelligence, but make sure you find a welder in complete understanding of the applicable metallurgy). That and proper preparation is the success of a proper repair. That crack should be repairable from first glance. Don't just cover the crack with filler metal but prep the joint (should require minimal prep from looking at the pic), place a proper stress relief end point on each end of the crack (I'd drill a small hole on each end of the crack), then lay in the filler as needed. MIG, TIG, or GTAW.

I would even consider additional overlay beyond the crack, just for good measures.

Please do not take this as the proper procedure but use as a thought starter guideline. Your skilled welder should know exactly how to do this properly.

Excellent advice. I absolutely agree that this kind of repair needs to be done by someone who understands aluminum alloys and has a big TIG/GTAW welder. I'd definitely want the guy to patch it after reapproximating the crack and welding it.

The other thing I'd do is email New Dimension and send pictures before getting it fixed. IMHO, only the most severe abuse should allow a crack of that nature on a 4 year old tower. I think it's a mfgr defect and they should replace it.

kalanic
06-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Excellent advice. I absolutely agree that this kind of repair needs to be done by someone who understands aluminum alloys and has a big TIG/GTAW welder. I'd definitely want the guy to patch it after reapproximating the crack and welding it.

The other thing I'd do is email New Dimension and send pictures before getting it fixed. IMHO, only the most severe abuse should allow a crack of that nature on a 4 year old tower. I think it's a mfgr defect and they should replace it.
Very good advice! I can tell you as a welder by trade & a Certified Weld Inspector from the American Weld Society that a repair like that will have to be done by a MIG machine or Oxy-Fuel Welding. GTAW (TIG) will not work because of the thickness of the aluminum. You will risk opening up the repair to much causing it to be much worse. It looks like a fairly simple repair. As Sporty stated, you will want to to add extra filler metal beyond the repair & possibly tie into the existing weld. Make sure your welded does a Liquid Penetrant Test (PT) on the repair & I would also request to Test the rest of your welds to verify there are no other stress cracks. Good Luck!

mitch
06-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! The crack runs right along the heat line from the orig weld. Father-in-law, who's a mechanic and welds a lot, said manf defect all the way, too much heat. Looking ahead to a weld failing, I sent a note to my fav MC dealer (pssst in NC) asking how much to replace the driver's side base, and I will email ND, good idea. I doubt water got in there, as it was tented good for the winter. I even covered the only small hole in the base w/ a coozie, as to not rip the tarp. Every time I checked the boat, it was bone dry. That being said, I can not understand how I missed it in the fall, when I took the tower off. Hmmm, maybe :friday:

mitch
06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
already heard back from my MC dealer, who's looking into it for me, and I also emailed ND. Thanks!

bigmac
06-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Very good advice! I can tell you as a welder by trade & a Certified Weld Inspector from the American Weld Society that a repair like that will have to be done by a MIG machine or Oxy-Fuel Welding. GTAW (TIG) will not work because of the thickness of the aluminum. You will risk opening up the repair to much causing it to be much worse. It looks like a fairly simple repair. As Sporty stated, you will want to to add extra filler metal beyond the repair & possibly tie into the existing weld. Make sure your welded does a Liquid Penetrant Test (PT) on the repair & I would also request to Test the rest of your welds to verify there are no other stress cracks. Good Luck!

Interesting, thanks for the info. I do a lot of TIG welding on mild steel, but I can't weld aluminum worth a sh** with it. I understand the theory, but my attempts have been pretty funny. I only know enough to be certain that that crack is going to be a tough one to fix well, and that New Dimensions should step up.

kalanic
06-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Interesting, thanks for the info. I do a lot of TIG welding on mild steel, but I can't weld aluminum worth a sh** with it. I understand the theory, but my attempts have been pretty funny. I only know enough to be certain that that crack is going to be a tough one to fix well, and that New Dimensions should step up.
Yes welding aluminum using GTAW (TIG) is like trying to control a puddle of water, not very fun. GMAW (MIG) gives you the wire control with variable speed & alot less heat. To weld aluminum successfully with GTAW you must use pure Tungsten & have the machine in AC. You should also be using a larger diameter Tungsten while in AC because of the higher heat required, around 1/16" or 1/8".

mitch
06-01-2006, 10:27 AM

My father-in-law said the same thing. He's a pretty good welder, but mixed results on alum. Sometime it's comes out perfects, other times it's a mess. If I can get the part for a reasonable $, I'm just gonna replace it. I should know today/tomorrow.

bigmac
06-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes welding aluminum using GTAW (TIG) is like trying to control a puddle of water, not very fun. GMAW (MIG) gives you the wire control with variable speed & alot less heat. To weld aluminum successfully with GTAW you must use pure Tungsten & have the machine in AC. You should also be using a larger diameter Tungsten while in AC because of the higher heat required, around 1/16" or 1/8".

Well, my most recent attempt was to weld some 1/4 inch aluminum with a 1/8 inch rod at 180 amps ( max my welder will do ). I was using tungsten and AC. I can tell you that 180 amps won't work, but the first time I struck an arc, the violence of it scared me :D . I finally took it over to a pro (I think he said he used 260 amps). It took 10 minutes and cost me $15, which made me wonder why I even bothered to try to weld it myself...

kalanic
06-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Well, my most recent attempt was to weld some 1/4 inch aluminum with a 1/8 inch rod at 180 amps ( max my welder will do ). I was using tungsten and AC. I can tell you that 180 amps won't work, but the first time I struck an arc, the violence of it scared me :D . I finally took it over to a pro (I think he said he used 260 amps). It took 10 minutes and cost me $15, which made me wonder why I even bothered to try to weld it myself...
Yes you would need at least 200amps to weld aluminum. Still laughing about the "Violence". I know exactly what your talkin about!

mitch
06-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Spoke to customer service at New Demension Towers. They were in a word.....useless. Just wanted to buy the part.

Looks like any solution will have to come from MC. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the feedback guys! The crack runs right along the heat line from the orig weld. Father-in-law, who's a mechanic and welds a lot, said manf defect all the way, too much heat. Looking ahead to a weld failing, I sent a note to my fav MC dealer (pssst in NC) asking how much to replace the driver's side base, and I will email ND, good idea. I doubt water got in there, as it was tented good for the winter. I even covered the only small hole in the base w/ a coozie, as to not rip the tarp. Every time I checked the boat, it was bone dry. That being said, I can not understand how I missed it in the fall, when I took the tower off. Hmmm, maybe :friday:

jraben8
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
That's just sorry. Hopefully that great NC dealer can help you out.

DrNautica
06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
There looks to be considerable metal fatigue surrounding that crack. I vote that the base leg of the tower needs replacing.

Let us know what Wayne at ND has to say.

Dr. N

DrNautica
06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Also, that is a poor area for a weld which is to be stressed. That weld is made at the apex of a bend. The material on the upper side of the bend will be stretched, and therefore, thinner at that point. The material thickness at the crack looks suspiciously thin to me. I've drilled a few holes in my ND tower and I can tell you that it is easily twice that thick (at least if your photo shows it right.)

Diesel
06-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Also, that is a poor area for a weld which is to be stressed. That weld is made at the apex of a bend. The material on the upper side of the bend will be stretched, and therefore, thinner at that point. The material thickness at the crack looks suspiciously thin to me. I've drilled a few holes in my ND tower and I can tell you that it is easily twice that thick (at least if your photo shows it right.)

I agree it is a poor design and was most likely not analyzed by an engineer. The combination of a major stress riser (bend apex) with a saddle welded structural support is just not a good idea. Now factor in the metal properties of the T6061 (I assume), the load, and the constant flexing of the "zero flex" you get the failure shown.

I too would replace the entire lower structure if possible. Proper welding will only buy you time as the tube will most likely crack again somwhere near the repair weld.

M-Funf
06-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I agree with all the statements above. The design is poor, the material looks too think at the crack, etc.

What about cutting in three places and replacing the whole joint with a new material? Cut above the joint weld, and beyond the butt weld on the right, and far enough past the bend on the left. Fab a new section and have it welded in.

It's probably a LOT more work than patching or filling, but would probably be stronger in the long run.

What does the mfg. say? Will they help pay for the repair?

mitch
06-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks again for the replies. ND said call MC, can't help ya bruther. I mentioned nothing about warrenty or 'free', all I asked was "how much for the part?" Zero help, and you will see no further ND plugs from me, I'll tell ya. :D I've been an advocate in the past due to the OEM look but no more. Not because of the failure of the part, as that stuff happens, but very poor customer support. That zipperhead lady could not wait to get me off the phone, and I'll remember that....for a long time. Back to the subj. Yes, I does looks thin at that crack, but feels strong overall, and I didn't ND build the orig for MC? I thought they did and can't understand how another could be thicker, unless they changed the design. Anyhoo, I removed that part from the boat, and will see a local welder in the AM. He knew exactly what a wakeboard tower was so that's a good start,. Have not heard back from MC, via dealer, so no choice right now but get her welded, and get on the water. Who's taking bets on how much MC wants for that part? I bet they want 400 bucks. Father-in-law helped me pull it off, was not impressed with the quality at all, and busted my balls some on the 'MC is best thing' He thinks after MC looks at the pics, I'll get a free one from them. Oh well, I'll follow up tomorrow, thanks again guys, appreciate the time you took to post!!

DrNautica
06-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm not an expert here but...

I thought ND was formed after ZF was sold. It is not the same Company or the same design. Am I wrong? I wouldn't think that ND could/would build the replacement part you needed for your ZF tower. I thought you were contacting ND for advice.

When I dealt with ND on my tower I will say that their customer service in the way of returning calls and emails could have been a lot better. And, the "lady" who answers the phone was not always the most helpful which is why I always dealt directly with Wayne Hartford, the owner.

So let me get this straight. You have a broken ZF tower with apparent inferior materials/workmanship, and you unload on ND (not your tower manufacturer)? If you were going to be mad at anyone, I would think it would be ZF and MC in that order.

I wouldn't have the old tower welded until the MC dealer or ZF has a chance to inspect it (if you hope to get any satisfaction.) I certainly hope it all works out in your favor Mitch.

mitch
06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
who's unloading Dr? and who's mad? I'm not mad, I even used a smiley face. I said their customer support bit, which it did, and I said I would not recommend them, which I won't. That's unloading? pleeeze..... If they can't sell me a part, how can they help me? Yup sir, that there aluminum sure looks a lil thin at that weld and may need repairing have a nice day and look us up when you're in town,maybe we'll have a lemonaide?" The lady was frieking zero help..period. The tower part on their opening web page looks exactly/mysteriously like the part I need, and I was under the impression that ND has OEM built MC towers for some time, maybe I'm wrong. Been wrong before, but I thought ND was around in 02 when I was shopping for towers If I do need a tower part, where is MC gonna get it.... I believe the anwser is ND

I'm certainly not mad at MC or ZF in whatever order (chit happens). Emotion ain't gonna help solve this one Dr. I deal in facts/data. Right now I got a broken part I need a fixin', and I'm presently trying to throw cash at the problem to get my arse back on the water. It's a boat and I do expect it to break from time to time. Both my MC's have been very very good to me , and I'm still feeling the MC love :love: , no matter how this works out... again no ND love here.....capiche

Maristar210
06-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Mitch,

If your dealer is relunctant to replace the tube follow Kalanic's advice and have it repaired in the method he describes. It should not cost much to have that done. This is common with overheating aluminum IMO.

Good luck - Steve

mitch
06-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Mitch,

If your dealer is relunctant to replace the tube follow Kalanic's advice and have it repaired in the method he describes. It should not cost much to have that done. This is common with overheating aluminum IMO.

Good luck - Steve

Thanks Steve, I've taken a lot of notes from this thread, and appreciate the expertise!!

Summer's are very short in NE, so I can't wait for the dealer and MC to make a decision (then wait for the part). If I can get the part from him that would be a major bonus in my eyes, but I'll still have the welding done asap if the guy can do it and seems like he know's what's he's doing. I understand by having the repair done I'll potentially risk losing out on a potentially free part from MC. :cool: Hopefully I'll know more in the AM. Thanks again and good nite, I'm out...

SKI*MC
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
wow, sorry to hear about your bad luck here. I hope everything gets worked out.

rodltg2
06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
maybe ND does suck ( they were great to me) but i agree you need to contact zeroflex for the part. ND makes zeroflex copies. they are close but not the same...i think and may be wrong but i think the relationship with zeroflex and ND is that wayne used to work there and started his own company. or something like that

Ric
06-02-2006, 12:28 AM
You may have gotten hold of someone with bad phone skills but ND may get alot of calls for stuff they didnt make
I am not sure they ever supplied mc zeroflex towers.. (refer to rodlt's story)
I had the name of the shop in TN that supplies zeroflex towers but I cannot remember it at the moment

mitch
06-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Rod, Who said ND sucks?? I never said that, I used 2 words do describe their "cust service" bit/useless. You hear nothing but good things about their towers, and as mentioned I've recommeneded them many times (I believe even when you were looking for a tower for your 197). Could not find Zeroflex's # back when I was looking for a tower and still can't find it. That would be very very helpful :D It was real nice of 'Zeroflex' to allow ND to produce exact dups of their tower design.

SKI*MC, thanks! I'm sure it'll all work out. I checked the rest of the tower out last nite, all seems strong, hopefully it's just that one weld, and I can get it behind me quik :) Cya!

Ric, If you do run across that number, pls. PM me. Thanks!

MYMC
06-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Mitch,

While we are sitting around waiting on decisions to be made, give me the length of the part you need (sorry don't have one here to measure). I may have one of these laying here. Starboard side, right?

mitch
06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
You've got mail. Thanks again Mike!!!!!!

tex
06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow, I have a couple of questions-1st-You guys make welding sound like brain surgery-I never knew that it was so complicated. I have been around some very good welders in my time buy you guys are amazing! I mean that. 2nd, I keep hearing you mention ND. What is that?

TMCNo1
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow, I have a couple of questions-1st-You guys make welding sound like brain surgery-I never knew that it was so complicated. I have been around some very good welders in my time buy you guys are amazing! I mean that. 2nd, I keep hearing you mention ND. What is that?

New Dimension Towers.

wakinvol
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
ZeroFlex was made by Xtreme Marine in Maryville, TN in 2002

mitch
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM

Excellent info, thanks for posting! I just called them and customer service closed at 3PM, missed em by 3 minutes :( I'll follow up Monday, thanks again...

PendO
06-02-2006, 03:33 PM

http://www.xtremetowers.com/index.php

For any questions about any products you see on this site, or to tell us about any product you would like to see added, please contact us.

retail@xtremetowers.com or call us toll free at 1-877-586-9377

Mailing Address:
1752 Henry G. Lane Street
Maryville, TN 37801

SOOOOOO, XTP make all of our "Zero Flex" towers ... and New Dimensions http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/home.html makes towers that are simmilar ... It is easy to see how one gets confused, b/c when you read the "About Us" section it talks about Wayne and "His innovation, evident on the Mastercraft Zero Flex Flyer tower ..." untill now I had no idea XTP was making the MC towers and badging them "Zero Flex" ... I thought Wayne at ND was making the zeroflex towers, hum, guess I learned something.

mitch
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the links Pendo! Looks like they've moved to a more universal tower, hopefully they still make replacement parts for the older ZF towers. We shall see.....

For any questions about any products you see on this site, or to tell us about any product you would like to see added, please contact us.

Mailing Address:
Maryville, TN 37801

SOOOOOO, XTP make all of our "Zero Flex" towers ... and New Dimensions http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/home.html makes towers that are simmilar ... It is easy to see how one gets confused, b/c when you read the "About Us" section it talks about Wayne and "His innovation, evident on the Mastercraft Zero Flex Flyer tower ..." untill now I had no idea XTP was making the MC towers and badging them "Zero Flex" ... I thought Wayne at ND was making the zeroflex towers, hum, guess I learned something.

Ric
06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I see a distinct difference when looking at an ND compared to a Zeroflex.
I dont know the history though.

Mailing Address:
Maryville, TN 37801

mitch
06-02-2006, 07:40 PM

Prolly depends on the year. My 02 looks exactly like the current tower on ND's web page exp the area when tower racks are.

PendO
06-02-2006, 08:08 PM

I too see a difference between the ND towers and the Zeroflex (XTP) towers.

Zero Flex would appear to be just one of many towers made by XTP for different manufacturers.

I was suprised that New Dimensions is allowed to use the "Zero Flex" name on their website ... I wonder who has the copyright / trademark ... MYMC or Jim, does Mastercraft own the "Zero Flex" name, and just have XTP badge them that way?

Kell
06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I looked at them both and don't see any differences. Looks as though the NDT front leg has more of a bend than the ZF. What am I missing?I too see a difference between the ND towers and the Zeroflex (XTP) towers.

PendO
06-02-2006, 10:01 PM
kell, I will post 2 pics (XTP mastercraft OEM as a Zero Flex)

PendO
06-02-2006, 10:03 PM
New Dimensions ... the geometry seems different to me? both follow the windo frame the same, but go up at different angles?

Kell
06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
I think your right PendO.

mitch
06-03-2006, 12:15 PM
OK, so got w/ the welder yesterday, and he quoted me approx? 250 bucks to repair the crack. He wanted to weld a plate over the damage, and promised me it would look like crap and may or may not last ;( He was trying to talk me into building a new one for 900 bucks. He also said he would Tig weld it, not Mig, so I was scared like a little girl and ran. Still searching for the part, and my father-in-law is going to see another welder Monday.

PendO
06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Wow, I have a couple of questions-1st-You guys make welding sound like brain surgery

I watched a thing on the discovery channel about putting the Alaska Oil pipeline together ... welders were the highest paid and most skilled workers (if I remember) ... but they had to dig a bunch of pipe up b/c some of the weld x-rays were faked by the imaging company to save time ... a royal PITA, but man, it was an interesting show, wish I had recorded it.

mitch
06-06-2006, 04:23 PM
update: My father-in-law got w/ a local welder he's fond of, and here's the finished product. I also spoke to Matt at Xtreme, who can supply a replacement part for $330 bucks, with an 8 day lead time, and 40$ for shipping. I thought that was pretty reasonable. This weld was 20 bucks. I was pretty happy w/ it. Whatta ya think? No idea what kind of welder he used but Dad-in-law said the machine (<--technical term) was huge. Guy mentioned he did not want to connect the welds as he thought it might too much heat for very little benefit

Props to Mike @ 'MC of Charlotte' for rummaging thru his scrap piles trying to hook me up.

Thanks all, appreciate the input.....

kalanic
06-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Looks good Mitch! Did they do any testing in the weld & weld area to verify there are no stress cracks from excessive heat or weld imperfecations?

mitch
06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Looks good Mitch! Did they do any testing in the weld & weld area to verify there are no stress cracks from excessive heat or weld imperfecations?

Nope, but he guessed excessive heat was the culprit. He looked it over and said the other welds looked fine. thx

PendO
06-06-2006, 05:11 PM
update: My father-in-law got w/ a local welder he's fond of, and here's the finished product. I also spoke to Matt at Xtreme, who can supply a replacement part for $330 bucks, with an 8 day lead time, and 40$ for shipping. I thought that was pretty reasonable. This weld was 20 bucks. I was pretty happy w/ it. Whatta ya think? No idea what kind of welder he used but Dad-in-law said the machine (<--technical term) was huge. Guy mentioned he did not want to connect the welds as he thought it might too much heat for very little benefit

Props to Mike @ 'MC of Charlotte' for rummaging thru his scrap piles trying to hook me up.

The repair looks good ... I'd probably get the replacement part anyway as the shipping and price seem reasonable, and if you ever go to sell the boat someone might have some concerns ... glad to know we can get replacent parts from the manf. if we need to:)

mitch
10-17-2006, 10:11 PM

BTW the 20 dollar tower weld repair held up great this season. Still looks perfect

beatle78
10-18-2006, 02:18 PM
threadJack.....

mitch, what did you put on top of the tower to make a TENT when you covered your boat???

thanks
beatle78

mitch
05-19-2008, 11:11 PM
threadJack.....

mitch, what did you put on top of the tower to make a TENT when you covered your boat???

thanks
beatle78

sorry for the 18 month late reply:D I removed the tower in the winter

mitch
05-19-2008, 11:13 PM

Weld cracked:( but for 20 bucks it did last 2 years. Pulled the arm off tonight and father in law is taking it back to the same guy. Oh well. :rolleyes:

kal_dude
05-20-2008, 12:09 AM
i have an 02 X-star as well, and don't have any issues like that with mine? if you get the thing to WI i would gladly T.I.G. weld it for you? i love welding Aluminum, don't know why so many people don't like doing it?

kal
262-968-2514
414-801-0297
www.xtremefabrication.com

kal_dude
05-20-2008, 12:11 AM
the weld that was on there, was too hot, moved too slow, not enough filler rod. it should have been welded on both sides of the repair weld as well

kal

ORX-1
05-20-2008, 11:10 AM

How do you tent the tarp like that? looks like a great way to protect it.

Ric
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Weld cracked:( but for 20 bucks it did last 2 years. Pulled the arm off tonight and father in law is taking it back to the same guy. Oh well. :rolleyes:
you're gonna need a new boat.

mitch
05-21-2008, 09:32 PM
you're gonna need a new boat.

I was thinking that! It was the 1st spring I looked at the boat and said it's starting to look a little old

mitch
05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
the weld that was on there, was too hot, moved too slow, not enough filler rod. it should have been welded on both sides of the repair weld as well

kal

Thanks for the offer of help. I got it back from the guy and it looks pretty much the sale. Not sure what's making it crack, He said to drill a 1/8" hold to let any moisture out. I was not wet.

mitch
05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
How do you tent the tarp like that? looks like a great way to protect it.

I used 2 saw horse kits. Basically it's 2 large saw horses, connected by 2 10' 2x4's connected by a couple of 3 ft sections. I never have to remove snow for either boat- seems to works well.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I was thinking that! It was the 1st spring I looked at the boat and said it's starting to look a little old
WHAT!?!? After all the love you've been putting into it?!?

Thanks for the offer of help. I got it back from the guy and it looks pretty much the sale. Not sure what's making it crack, He said to drill a 1/8" hold to let any moisture out. I was not wet.
Been drinking tonight? 8p "sale", "hold", "I was not wet."

Just yankin' your chain because you made me change my avatar!

mitch
05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
WHAT!?!? After all the love you've been putting into it?!?

Been drinking tonight? 8p "sale", "hold", "I was not wet."

Just yankin' your chain because you made me change my avatar!

ya, that was pretty sloppy and yes, I've had a couple :D

I'm starting to get the itch, but lack the funds. I've been in 2 brand new boats this year, a new Bu I-ride and my buddy just got a 07 leftover CC 211- I know it's CC and all but that is a nice frieking boat

Once I get my boat dialed and back in the water for the season, I'll be all happy again. ;) My x-10 transom decal just came in.

46Chief
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Damn... When I opened your thread I wondered if I bought your boat.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/46chief/Ripple/Rackcrack_zps6420d694.jpg

Emailed ND two weeks ago pictures to get an estimate for a replacement support, he requested more pics but hasn't replied yet. So I exhumed this thread looking for a another cracked tower thread I looked at awhile ago.

02ProstarSammyD
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
^that 209 is gonna be the death of you haha

mikeg205
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Not to stir things up... but that looks like a defect that ND should replace. I could see the well crack - but obviously the manufacturer knows less than I do about metallurgy. I would take this off line and discuss with manufacturer...my .02... That's really scary where that is cracking and how the haze from heat transfer from the weld is showing... and who know's what else is going on with other tower welds... not making any judgments...

46Chief
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
^that 209 is gonna be the death of you haha

I'm wondering now, :{

I can't believe I missed this crack. I still think I have an excellent project... the excellent value equation has disappeared though. I will look into getting it welded if I can't get a reasonable replacement then look for a new rack further down the road.

Mike I'd love to get a free replacement, but I bought this used, it's ten years old, been around salt water and doesn't seem worth the stress of convincing whoever made the tower to replace it. I'm hoping that the replacement part is not too expensive, otherwise I'll be resourceful and find an alternative.

Comparing the original posters crack and mine definitely indicate an issue with the inadequate welding, or the design in which all the stresses are transfered to create that distortion in the metal around the crack.

02ProstarSammyD
01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Mike I'd love to get a free replacement, but I bought this used, it's ten years old, been around salt water and doesn't seem worth the stress of convincing whoever made the tower to replace it. I'm hoping that the replacement part is not too expensive, otherwise I'll be resourceful and find an alternative.

Comparing the original posters crack and mine definitely indicate an issue with the inadequate welding, or the design in which all the stresses are transfered to create that distortion in the metal around the crack.

It may be 10 years old but how long has it not had an engine? jk

I wouldn't argue it. With the way the boat looks I couldn't put much blame on anyone for anything found. There isn't a ton of sweat equity in that boat but it will be what you want when you get done with it. Mine was a mess too and I'm thousands and thousands into it but it will be perfect when I get done.