PDA

View Full Version : Toyota announces recall of 1 million vehicles

Blair
06-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Toyota announces recall of 1 million vehicles

Posted May 30th 2006 4:05PM by Stuart Waterman
Filed under: Japan, Recalls/TSBs, Toyota
Toyota Motor Corp. announced Tuesday that it is recalling a whopping 1 million vehicles worldwide to replace defective intermediate shafts and sliding yokes.

Over half of the recalled vehicles are in the Japanese domestic market, including Wish, Isis, Prius and other cars built between September 2002 and November 2005. The remaining vehicles are in overseas markets, although no details are available at this time.

No accidents have been reported as a consequence of the defects.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/30/toyota-announces-recall-of-1-million-vehicles/

this other link says 500,000+

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060530.wtoyota0530/BNStory/Business/home

Ryan
06-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Hmmm, I have not received any notice. I'll have to do some homework to be sure my 4Runner is healthy.

Ben
06-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Got this yesterday... Maybe a bit more accurate than blogs, but not too descriptive

Toyota to Recall Over 565,000 Vehicles - Kyodo

May 30, 2006 8:49 a.m.
NEW YORK -- Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) said Tuesday it is recalling a total of 565,756 vehicles in nine models for replacement of faulty intermediate shafts and sliding yokes, the Kyodo News Service reported. As the shafts and yokes lack necessary strength, steering wheels could become uncontrollable when a strong force is applied to the parts as a result of slow driving or other reasons, Toyota said in a report to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, according to the Kyodo report.

The vehicles to be recalled were manufactured under the brands of Wish, Isis, Prius, Corolla, Corolla Runx, Corolla Fielder, Corolla Spacio, Allex and Ractis between September 2002 and November 2005, the news service said. They include more than 300,000 Wish cars. The recall follows 31 complaints filed with Toyota between March 2004 and April this year, the automaker said, according to Kyodo.

No accidents attributable to the faulty parts have been reported, it added, the report said

Workin' 4 Toys
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
I can't wait to here the defense on the board here... :rolleyes:
"Well, at least they found it early on and want to fix the problems"
Good job......:rolleyes:

Another problem probably "noticed" at the dealer level.:rolleyes:

Maristar210
06-01-2006, 01:12 PM

Sniff sniff

Do I smell sarcasm?

;) Steve

Granite_33
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Did they recall any of the ski boats? They should.

captain planet
06-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Yea, in 2002 when they discontinued their marine aspirations. They should do the same with their trucks. (there, that should get the toyota faithfull out of the closets and on thier keyboards) :uglyhamme

ski36short
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Yea, in 2002 when they discontinued their marine aspirations. They should do the same with their trucks. (there, that should get the toyota faithfull out of the closets and on thier keyboards) :uglyhamme

They make a truck? 8p

Ryan
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM

They recalled a lot of boats, and when they did, they didn't just fix a little problem, they gave the owner a completely new boat. Now that's customer service.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-01-2006, 01:47 PM

Whatcha think Hoosier's excuse is gonna be WFT?? 8p

ski36short
06-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Just read a Motley Fool article that said exactly that. It also said the guy's dream car is a hybrid Mustang...

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Sniff sniff

Do I smell sarcasm?

;) Steve
Naaaahhhh.......
Let's not just assume they are going to fix all of them for free.... I wonder if they will give out free loaners for the inconveniences too. Now that's customer service.....:rolleyes: Did I hear someone say reliable.....:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Whatcha think Hoosier's excuse is gonna be WFT?? 8p
There is no excuse for him...... I suppose he could blame Lisa....
However, don't let yourself forget, he is a honda guy, not so much a toyota guy like Leroy.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 10:07 AM
I am not sure about all that.....
But say Toyotas Suk.....
That might stir up some controversy....:o

P.S. I wouldn't miss the trucks if they went away.....(that is if they still make what they call a truck)

Tom023
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Sitting on the sidelines LMAO !!! Toyota has a recall and it makes headline news. If it were GM nobody would notice because it would be business as usual ... as expected.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Sitting on the sidelines LMAO !!! Toyota has a recall and it makes headline news. If it were GM nobody would notice because it would be business as usual ... as expected.
Yup, 1,000,000 recalls is nothing to make headlines for.......

Tom023
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Yup, 1,000,000 recalls is nothing to make headlines for.......

As far as recalls go, it really isn't. Compared to the domestics, the Toyota's recall rate is superior, just like their quality. Now let's see, Ford recalled 9 million for ignition switches in 1996, and 4 million for cruise controls in 2004, so 1 million seems small by comparison.

In 2004, GM recalled 10.7million vehicles with about 26% share, Ford 5.0 million with about 20% share and Toyota 1.1 million with about 10% share. I'll take my chances on Toyota over say GM which outsold Toyota by 2.5 times, but recall rate was 10 times.

I suppose I could wave the flag and buy a GM, the flag would come in handy when the roof blows off...or I could flag down traffic when broken down on the side of the road.

3event
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
interesting stats Tom.

What was this toyota recall for? intermediate shafts? steering, right? I am among the several people I know who have had intermediate steering shafts replaced on GM vehicles, some under warranty some not. All same symptoms and fixed by replacement.

Any GM recalls on that? Shouldnt be crapping out at 30,000mi (friend's car). Mine went at 40k. Good thing it was a company car so I didn't pay. I would be pissed about that and about the alternator that died around the same time.

I'll keep driving GM vehicles. As long as the company buys them. Wait, no, just switched to Dodge Charger. Let's see how that one holds up.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd like to think I would rather have my cruise control not work that loose steering, but thats me........
Don't get me wrong, I won't say I think GM is better that toyos (in so many words, or the amount of recalls). :rolleyes:
However, I would let someone buy me a toy anyday. Not that I'd drive it, but I'd let them buy it....:D I'd say they are cute.....:rolleyes:

Tom023
06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'd rather have that cruise control catch fire and burn my house down...which is why they recalled them. Not that GM or Ford have every had a safety recall on a critical part, just stuff like roofs blowing off Corvettes. Facts are hard to beat with emotion. :rolleyes:

Ryan
06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
I am not sure about all that.....
But say Toyotas Suk.....
That might stir up some controversy....:o

P.S. I wouldn't miss the trucks if they went away.....(that is if they still make what they call a truck)

WFT, do you own 3,000 shares of GM stock or something? We all know you'll always buy American (aka:made-in-Mexico-or-Canada) vehicles. What's the deal with stirring the pot in here? Are you trying to get some converts? :popcorn:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
WFT, do you own 3,000 shares of GM stock or something? We all know you'll always buy American (aka:made-in-Mexico-or-Canada) vehicles. What's the deal with stirring the pot in here? Are you trying to get some converts?
Nope, don't care whatsoever. :D
No I do not own any GM stock, and NO I do not work for them or ANY branch of them. (Or Ford or DC either for that matter;) )
I guess I just don't get the import thing.
As far as stirring the pot, I didn't start this one, I just don't like to see these go away unnoticed...:toast:

Ryan
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Nope, don't care whatsoever. :D
No I do not own any GM stock, and NO I do not work for them or ANY branch of them. (Or Ford or DC either for that matter;) )
I guess I just don't get the import thing.
As far as stirring the pot, I didn't start this one, I just don't like to see these go away unnoticed...:toast:

Does that include European imports or just Japanese/Korean?
I think you'd get it if you jumped in a CobaltSS then a CivicSi; an Impalla then a Camry; a TrailBlazer then a 4Runner. I'll grant you that US full-size trucks beat the Tundra in many engine aspects - but what about the Nissan Titan?

Kevin 89MC
06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
:popcorn:

I think I'll just sit & watch this one . . . while I wait for my TrailBlazer with 40,000 miles (work truck) to get out of the shop! :D (OK, it was a few weeks ago). Co-worker has had his in 4X before he had 80,000. I have never once had any of my Toyotas in the shop. 2 Celicas, a 1/2 ton truck, two LandCruisers & a Supra. All had or have way north of 100,000 miles. They just run, and I run them hard.
We all have our opinions, and there's a pretty good chance that no one is going to convince anyone else to change theirs! All I know is I'm getting excited to ski tonight! :dance:

Tom023
06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I think you used too many words to say you think Toyotas are better, you might get one of these :rolleyes:

lakes Rick
06-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I wonder if Toyota is going to fix the SLUDGE problem they have in there engines?????

Tom023
06-02-2006, 06:42 PM
I wonder if Toyota is going to fix the SLUDGE problem they have in there engines?????

The one that may have been caused by lack of maintenance? I think they have had a campaign to take care of those motors for several years now. Sludge has been an issue with all manufacturers, especially when people don't properly maintain their vehicles. Could it have been a design defect, maybe so, considering the sludge issue is over 4 years old and doesn't seem to be an issue now.

lakes Rick
06-03-2006, 12:48 AM
The one that may have been caused by lack of maintenance? I think they have had a campaign to take care of those motors for several years now. Sludge has been an issue with all manufacturers, especially when people don't properly maintain their vehicles. Could it have been a design defect, maybe so, considering the sludge issue is over 4 years old and doesn't seem to be an issue now.

Really?? Local service dept here is taking up to 8 year old sludgers in here... Just had a friend take a van in.. Bonzai.........

Tom023
06-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Really?? Local service dept here is taking up to 8 year old sludgers in here... Just had a friend take a van in.. Bonzai.........

Have you heard of any new vehicles, say the past three or four years with the "problem"? No surprise they are taking 8 year old vehicles still, since those vehicles, 1999 models, are around the time period the issue started. It's good to hear the service department is still taking these vehicles, if by taking you mean fixing at Toyota's cost. I can think of a number of manufacturers that would have just left their customers hanging, like Ford did with their V6 head gasket failures.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Does that include European imports or just Japanese/Korean?
I think you'd get it if you jumped in a CobaltSS then a CivicSi; an Impalla then a Camry; a TrailBlazer then a 4Runner. I'll grant you that US full-size trucks beat the Tundra in many engine aspects - but what about the Nissan Titan?
The Titan does absolutely nothing for me. (On the flip side, neither does the expedition)

Workin' 4 Toys
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Since you folks are talking about repairs, I had the dash burn up on a (mid 90's) toy pickup while driving. It wasn't mine, but I drove it for someone else, that was fun. Dealer had it fixed in about 3 days. (I think, it was traded in shortly after) Not to mention the clutch it needed at 40K....

Mid's 90's toy car needed an engine mount, and coolant flush because it looked like red slurry. But as I gather, these are regular repairs on toys. Engine mount= routine maintenance.:rolleyes:

captain planet
06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
...........- but what about the Nissan Titan?
The nissan titan? Your joking right? Let's start petty......IT'S UGLY!!! And not just a little ugly.....REALLY ugly. Also, it is a CLOSE cousin to the Armada which is a fraternal twin of the Infinity QX45 (or whatever they call it) which was the WORST rated vehicle by consumer reports for 2005. Plus it is a nissan! What do they know about trucks?

Tom023
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Styling is always subjective but I don't think the Titan is that ugly, but it is a bit over-styled. The Armada to me is absolutely the ugliest SUV out there, and it doesn't help that Nissan's quality has taken a big dive. I imagine they require as many repairs as your typical domestic.

lakes Rick
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Have you heard of any new vehicles, say the past three or four years with the "problem"? No surprise they are taking 8 year old vehicles still, since those vehicles, 1999 models, are around the time period the issue started. It's good to hear the service department is still taking these vehicles, if by taking you mean fixing at Toyota's cost. I can think of a number of manufacturers that would have just left their customers hanging, like Ford did with their V6 head gasket failures.

Maybe you should move to Japan?????

Tom023
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM

No, I'm not much of a sushi fan.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-06-2006, 09:30 AM
LMAO...............:uglyhamme

Tom023
06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
LMAO...............:uglyhamme

I thought it was pretty funny too that was the best he could come back with and got a kick out it :uglyhamme

Granite_33
06-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Not to Poke a wounded mule..........

Interesting article in Forbes July 3 issue.......

Title.........
"Teflon Toyota".......Consumers don't seem bothered by a rash of recalls

Highlight....
2005 Recalls as a % of vehicles in operation.
#1 Ford, 11.7%
#2 Toyota 10.1%
#3 GM 6.8%
#4 Honda 4%
#5 Chrysler 2.5%

The article realistically does not bash Toyota too much but highlights the way they handle recalls.......which the authors of the article seem to think is great.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I heard this morning Nissan has some big engine recalls with the new ones. Around 100K or so, Something about engine lock up...Sounded oil related. Guess maybe they should just put some Amsoil in 'em and be done....:rolleyes: