PDA

View Full Version : 97 MC w LT1

73SS
05-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Is there any problem replacing the LT1 water pump (circulating pump) with an automotive replacement pump?

6ballsisall
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Is there any problem replacing the LT1 water pump (circulating pump) with an automotive replacement pump?

The pumps are different from my understanding and it is not recommended whatsoever. IMO, with a sweet motor like that I couldn't see taking the chance of a pump failure would warrant the savings of a few bucks for a non marine pump.

Just my 2 cents

firesmith
05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I have the same year/engine setup. Curious as to why you need to replace the pump; what symptoms do you have?

I would also recommend replacement of any components (pump, thermostats, alternator, starter) with the appropriate marine units. The small amount of money you think you may save in initial replacement costs will likely be eclipsed by the problems or subsequent replacement of the auto units with the correct marine counterpart.

Andyg
05-31-2006, 11:31 PM
This may help

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=77096

Diesel
06-01-2006, 10:42 AM
It is the exact same and can be used. You will have to plug up one of the extra heater hoses ouputs on the automotive version. My weep hole was leaking and I replaced mine with one from a 95 Vette. Put another 400 hrs on the boat before I sold it and it is still running fine.

As for the t-stats, they are a MC dealer only item. There are two and I would replace them both at the same time as the water pump. The upper stat in the water pump should have a hole drilled in it so it will work properly. Do not use Automotive T-Stats.

73SS
06-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks. The related thread nailed it down.

NatesGr8
06-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Diesel, i agree 100%

When i pulled my old "marine" grade water pump off my boat and compared it to the new auto water pump, i could not find a single difference.

Go with the auto style pump and save yourself some money

:twocents: