PDA

View Full Version : Selling my I/O - advice needed

bigmac
05-31-2006, 01:27 PM
I find I don't need two boats (three counting the Whaler) so I want to sell my I/O. It's a 23-foot 1992 Century Arrow in good shape, with 5.7 liter Yamaha drive. I've been listing it for $7000 including S/A trailer, pretty much below NADA.

Where to list it for sale? I haven't had much response from the local classifieds. I'm contemplating ebay vs Boat Trader etc., but I'm seeking opinion from this learned crowd.

Is ebay my best bet, or something else? Selling tips?

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/32059914.jpg

erkoehler
05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Ebay will get you alot of hits on the boat, but doesn't always sell it, and you have to pay either way.

On boat trader, it is listed till it sells.

Try www.craigslist.com www.flipsell.com

6ballsisall
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Boattraderonline's distribution content is very weak. (low unique users)

I had great success with Ebay selling our first MC.

shepherd
05-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Personally, as a boat shopper, I've always preferred BoatTrader, FWIW... Their search/browse feature is nice. :cool:

mitch
05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
I'll 2nd craigslist

Workin' 4 Toys
05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Trader.com's work well. I've bought and sold many things on them, a boat being one of them, sold it in about 2 weeks, I guess I didn't need the extra cost of the list til sold, but who really ever knows.
I was getting calls for weeks after I stopped the ad too.

JohnnyB
05-31-2006, 02:36 PM
I have had the most luck buying and selling on Boat Trader. I used it to establish a price (search of similar boats yielded much higher asking price than what NADA suggested) and to sell my last MC. I posted my ad on a Sunday night and had check in hand four days later.

Ryan
05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
As long as you're not getting transferred or something to need an expidited sale, I'd go for Craigslist and Flipsell first since they're free. If you get no serious inqueries, I'd move on to BoatTrader. If you still aren't getting what you want, then I'd go for Ebay.

If you put it on Ebay, set the starting bid at the lowest you will possibly let the boat go for with no reserve. It allows potential buyers to qualify themselves, know that if they bid it truly counts, and takes out the guess work of wondering where that magic reserve break is (reserves impede competitive bidding that will naturally raise your sale price).

M-Funf
05-31-2006, 03:14 PM
another vote here for craigslist.

it's free, it's local, etc.

I've used it for many things sold, and it works out pretty well. The only downside is that the buyers contact you directly.

Good Luck!

6ballsisall
05-31-2006, 04:50 PM
I will say the salesman that sold my 95' (Erk) got a ton of response of Craigslist and in fact the buyer came from Craigslist. I personally used traderonline.com when I sold my 86' and the lead generation was very poor and that was in prime selling season. In the end, the most exposure wins so diversify your advertising of listing.

djhuff
05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
diversify your advertising of listing

I'll second that. Put it everywhere.

Something to think about though when/if you get discouraged... It only takes one person to buy it.

bigmac
06-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the excellent tips, guys. My plan would be to use ebay as a last resort, but I did take your advice and put it on Craigslist and Boat Trader. I haven't had anything from Boat Trader yet, but in the last 12 hours I got 4 emails from Craigslist, two of which are driving more than 90 miles to look at it this weekend.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/166643516.html

Craigslist is very cool - I'd not been aware of that site before.

Thanks again...

bigmac
06-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, the boat sold for its asking price. I got a LOT of emails from Craigslist, somewhat fewer from Boat Trader, with 5 people who wanted to drive 90 miles or more to come look at it last weekend. Boat Trader generated a lot of interest, less than Craigslist, but cost me $55 and allowed fewer pictures and no website linking (I had put up an image gallery HERE (http://pbase.com/hmac/century)). Ironically, the guy who bought is is local and saw it in the Brainerd paper from a classified I placed 3 weeks ago. Go figure. Last Saturday was a hassle trying to coordinate all of those out-of-town excursions. The guy that bought it was the one that saw it first and gave me a personal check to hold it until he could get me cash on Monday, which left me with the conundrum of what to tell the other potential buyers - I hated to take them off the hook in case the deal fell through, but I didn't want them to make a long drive to see a boat that was already sold.

Anyway, it worked out well. I wouldn't have known about Craigslist if not for this discussion forum. Thanks for the advice.

Cloaked
06-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Is that you in the driver's seat? :confused:

bigmac
06-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Is that you in the driver's seat? :confused:My son. I'm the one in the Whaler taking the pictures.