PDA

View Full Version : Clarion Stereo Upgrade

kalanic
05-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Im thinking about upgrading my Clarion XMD4 that came stock in my 2004 X-10 to the newer CMD4 head unit. Anyone have experiance with this deck? Should I just leave Clarion completly?

zberger
05-31-2006, 12:41 PM
you don't "need" a marine level deck to put in your boat.

a cover would be nice to have if you had a non marine one.

What features are you looking for in a new deck?

kalanic
05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Same features as I had. More Preamp outputs & sub output will be nice for more control. I also need to fill the hole where the old head unit is in the dash. My CD's wont eject now out of my deck. Not even 35 hours on the boat & the deck craps out! Another option I may look at is just running with an Ipod to my existing deck & loose the CD's completely/ I used my SIRIUS for the first time this weekend & it kicked butt! I installed it over the winter & ran with the regular antenna that the tuner came with. It worked out really good in every spot I parked in the lake. I will be selling my marine antenna.

PendO
05-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Im thinking about upgrading my Clarion XMD4 that came stock in my 2004 X-10 to the newer CMD4 head unit. Anyone have experiance with this deck? Should I just leave Clarion completly?

by no means am I overly impressed with the CMD4 in mine, but I do not have experience with other decks either.

Here are a few links, one for the deck and then a few for the MP3 / Ipod connection you can use with the deck.

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/32314.html

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=duaip35wg

* I just think that the deck should have both fade and balance (left/right), not just fade (front/rear)

kalanic
05-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I have also been lookin at the Kenwwod KTS-MP400MR Deck. Looks like the same size as the Clarion but has alot better features. I have Kenwood decks in all my vehicles & have always been happy with them. Anyone else using a Kenwood Marine head unit??

DanC
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
I got tired of the Clarion unit skipping. I am not a huge fan of Sony equipment but it does have the best performing skip protection. And quite a few options for wired remotes.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2612

zberger
05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
I got tired of the Clarion unit skipping. I am not a huge fan of Sony equipment but it does have the best performing skip protection. And quite a few options for wired remotes.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2612

That install looks really good!

I would also do away with the Clarion unit.. I personally would stay away from Sony also.

We use a kenwood deck in the boat I go on with my friends, it works great.

Alpine makes a deck that will have all the features you want, except the marine capabilities.. if you want marine remotes and the like, Alpine will not work in your application. Its kind of a shame also, Alpine makes great decks, but no marine specific components.

Diesel
05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Go with a mid-high level pioneer, alpine, sony, etc...............

Stay away from the Clarion marine stuff, it's too high priced and you can get much better automotive stuff for the same $$ as the marine.

Mag_Red
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Go with a mid-high level pioneer, alpine, sony, etc...............

Stay away from the Clarion marine stuff, it's too high priced and you can get much better automotive stuff for the same $$ as the marine.
I love the Alpine in my F-150. So Diesel.........are there any decks that will work with the Clarion Remote??? Or any other decks that have a similar remote??? My Clarion Deck doen't play MP3 and that's what really pisses me off about it. :twocents:

Diesel
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
I love the Alpine in my F-150. So Diesel.........are there any decks that will work with the Clarion Remote??? Or any other decks that have a similar remote??? My Clarion Deck doen't play MP3 and that's what really pisses me off about it. :twocents:

Currently no. If you had the time I am quite confident someone could make the clarion remote work with just about any deck with a wired remote input...........its just resistance.

Unless something has changed since I last looked your only options for a decent deck with wired remote are Pioneer and Sony. Looks like Dan found a solution to fitting the Sony on the older style dashes. The pioneer remote will fit vertically in the factory location but is not very attractive or user friendly.

Mag_Red
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Currently no. If you had the time I am quite confident someone could make the clarion remote work with just about any deck with a wired remote input...........its just resistance.

Unless something has changed since I last looked your only options for a decent deck with wired remote are Pioneer and Sony. Looks like Dan found a solution to fitting the Sony on the older style dashes. The pioneer remote will fit vertically in the factory location but is not very attractive or user friendly.So maybe my best option to be able to play MP3's would be a remote multi-disk changer??? O I just found this on Crutchfield's site.............a Dual Reciever that has a wired remote (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-opyGamEKDT4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Dual%27s+MXDM70&i=070MXDM70) Any one know anything about this Mfg???

AZHAWK
05-31-2006, 05:59 PM

I upgraded to the CMD4 from the old Clarion headunit in my X30. I picked it up pre-owned for a reasonable price. My main reason for staying with the Clarion set up was because I already have a Clarion disc changer and transom remote. I knew I could just plug 'em in and go without replacing them. It was nice because the factory wiring harness plugged right into the new CMD4 unit with no mods. I also wanted the newer unit which has an aux. input for my ipod. It also has pre-outs for front, rear, and subs. I may end up getting the Sirius Sat. system as well. Anyway, after getting it completed, I am satisfied with the Clarion Unit and have not had any problems with it. Another bonus is that it is simple to use...even more so than the old unit which keeps the wife happy. :D

Mag_Red
05-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey AZHAWK does the new unit play CD-r's recorded with MP3 files?? Every thing I could find says no.

AZHAWK
05-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Hey AZHAWK does the new unit play CD-r's recorded with MP3 files?? Every thing I could find says no.
I don't think it does but I have not tried to play any CD-Rs w/MP3 files on them. I know it plays my other CD-R/CD-RW discs just fine though. -AZHAWK

Diesel
06-01-2006, 09:52 AM
So maybe my best option to be able to play MP3's would be a remote multi-disk changer??? O I just found this on Crutchfield's site.............a Dual Reciever that has a wired remote (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-opyGamEKDT4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Dual%27s+MXDM70&i=070MXDM70) Any one know anything about this Mfg???

Sorry Mag I have no experience with the Dual unit. The specs sound better than the Clarion but without actually using one I am not quite sure.

Mag_Red
06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Sorry Mag I have no experience with the Dual unit. The specs sound better than the Clarion but without actually using one I am not quite sure.I just noticed it only has one RCA :( Too bad the wireless remotes aren't RF instead of line of sight.

Diesel
06-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I just noticed it only has one RCA :( Too bad the wireless remotes aren't RF instead of line of sight.

You could always get a repeater for any deck with a wireless remote. Here is a nice one from PAC (http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Infrared%20Repeaters ).

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/images/ir-x.jpg

wtrjock
06-08-2006, 08:02 PM
AZhawk, Do you have a picture of your transom remote? I have a 2005 X10, and am going to install a remote, but I am not sure where to install it.

Thanks,
Travis

AZHAWK
06-09-2006, 01:29 PM
AZhawk, Do you have a picture of your transom remote? I have a 2005 X10, and am going to install a remote, but I am not sure where to install it.

Thanks,
Travis
Here is a pic for you. Keep in mind that this is the factory installed location and that this older remote is the 2" size. Some newer remotes are the larger 3" size. You can still get them in both sizes, however. Check out Clarion's web site if you haven't already. The only bad thing about this location is that people that do not know what it is, sit on it and starts changing volume, function etc. when they are boardin' up or when we are just chillin'. If I could change its location, I would probably put it further down or more to the side (or both). Good Luck!
-AZHAWK

wtrjock
06-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the picture. I think I am going to try to put the remote under the handle, so it is a little hidden, if I install it at all. Seems to be somewhat of an eye sore. I am not sure if I want it yet. Do you find that the remote is used a lot, or do you wish you didn't have it?

Can you take one more picture from the back of the boat, so I can see how it would look from behind?

Thanks.

AZHAWK
06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the picture. I think I am going to try to put the remote under the handle, so it is a little hidden, if I install it at all. Seems to be somewhat of an eye sore. I am not sure if I want it yet. Do you find that the remote is used a lot, or do you wish you didn't have it?

Can you take one more picture from the back of the boat, so I can see how it would look from behind?

Thanks.
I'll have to take a pic when the boat is out of the garage. Right now its in the garage backed up to the wall. That's why the pic is from a weird angle. Sorry. Anyway, we do use the remote a lot. It's nice to have when you are playing around in the water etc. so you don't have to jump in the boat (all wet) just to make adjustments to the radio or CD tracks/CD changer. It only stinks when the ipod is plugged in because you can only control volume at that point. That being said, if I were to order a new boat, I would order it with the remote option. Once you have it, your'e spoiled. :D

wtrjock
06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I think you are right. I am going to install the remote.

On a side note, I bought the Clarion iPod interface as well from eBay for $60. It works GREAT! It allows full integration with track changing and such. They claim that it can also show the name of the songs on the stereo, but I haven't got that to work yet.

Here is what I got:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=ea1251

The box plugs into the CeNet connection on the back of the stereo. Very easy install. Check it out!

AZHAWK
06-09-2006, 08:37 PM
The ipod interface sounds like a good idea....

I think I'll have to ditch my CD changer though in order to do it. I think that they share the same conncetion point on the headunit. Curious if the interface has an input for the changer? I was told that the Sirius unit uses the same plug-in port but has the input so you don't have to dump the changer. Just turn one unit off and use the other etc. Check it out and let me know. Thanks.