PDA

View Full Version : ATV winches- Polaris

mitch
05-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Any recommendations on an aftermarket ATV winch for my 05 Polaris 4x4? Are the warn winches the only way to go at 500 bucks? Easy to install? I've heard the Viper winches are good, but look a little cheapo compared to the Warn. My 4x2 Yamaha keeps getting stuck. :D Any recommendations/advice is appreciated! Thanks.....

mgurley
05-31-2006, 08:23 AM
I have a grizzly and I put the warn 3.0 xt on it you could get it for 450 shipped at that time from www.4atvtires.com

To answer your question yes there are cheaper winches out there but normally you get what you pay for...If you ride alot of mud and water and plan on using it often I would get a warn 3.0 or higher (3.0 and up are completely sealed have all metal parts and have a lifetime warranty) if not used often in extreme conditions then maybe you can get away with a cheaper winch...IMO get a good one the first time!

Not hard to install at all...I will be glad to show you pics of mine or answer any questions that I can I have installed several...

mgurley
05-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Here is a pic of my bike...warn bumper and 3.0xt winch

mitch
05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the reply, nice quad!

Maristar210
05-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Any recommendations on an aftermarket ATV winch for my 05 Polaris 4x4? Are the warn winches the only way to go at 500 bucks? Easy to install? I've heard the Viper winches are good, but look a little cheapo compared to the Warn. My 4x2 Yamaha keeps getting stuck. :D Any recommendations/advice is appreciated! Thanks.....

Mitch,

You do not need a winch. You need to stay on top of that mud with some speed. I can't remember the last time I got stuck on my KTM. When in doubt, gas it out !!!!

Or

Avoid the mud....

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
05-31-2006, 01:00 PM
My Yamaha keeps getting stuck. :D
All those words, and this is all that made sense.....

Yes, for pulling that yami out, get the Warn.....

mitch
05-31-2006, 01:00 PM
gas it out :D

It's not me getting stuck, it's the kids...... ;) + mud is 1/2 the fun.

mitch
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply's

I bought this one today. a bud talked me out of the warn at the last minute

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000LB-COMPLETE-ATV-WINCH-PKG-POLARIS-05-06-Sportsmans_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43984QQitemZ 4644787045

I could'nt ignore his recommendation and, frieking 500 bucks for the warn. Honestly I'm sure the warn is better, but for a 165 bucks shipped from what seems like a good ebay seller I had to go for it.

Hey Mitch I do not know of any body that sells the warn winch any cheaper then 500. 500 is silly for a winch. And to be perfectly honest I wouldnt waste my money on the Warn. The only thing you are paying for is the name. I have 2 Venom winches 1 is a 2500lb winch and the other is a 3000lb winch and I have never had a problem with them The 2500 lb winch I have had now for about 5 years and I have given it a beating and a half and it has never given me an issuse I paid 125 for it with the mounting kit I have used it to pull stumps out of the ground and drag trees up hills and out of the woods as well as plow with it and pull myself out of mud holes up to the handle bars. If you look up the ratings and compare it to a Warn winch you will see they are just about identical except the Venom uses less amps to operate meaning less abuse on your charging system. I purchased them both off of ebay and the seller gives a better warranty then Warn

mgurley
05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Good luck! I have heard mixed reviews...I am sure it is all in how you use it...

mitch
05-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks MG, as mentioned, I'm real sure the Warn is better, but @ $165 it was too tempting. May put one on the Yamaha too :)

SkiDog
05-31-2006, 10:02 PM

Yea, if it don't say Warn, then trash it! Also, you might thing about a FOUR wheel drive instead! From the looks of that pic, i'd say you are pretty tired at the end of the day after riding that machine! Here's the daddy!

mgurley
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks MG, as mentioned, I'm real sure the Warn is better, but @ $165 it was too tempting. May put one on the Yamaha too :)

Well if you don't mind keep us posted I might try one eventually....that is a great price...

mgurley
06-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Yea, if it don't say Warn, then trash it! Also, you might thing about a FOUR wheel drive instead! From the looks of that pic, i'd say you are pretty tired at the end of the day after riding that machine! Here's the daddy!

Skidog and Mitch...you need to come check us out @ www.mudanddirt.com lots of good info on all kinds of quads and especially mudders...

I am gurley40 over there...same handle I had on the old TT board.

mitch
06-01-2006, 08:27 AM
MG, I'll keep you posted on how the Venom works. Skidog, nice Quad. Might be a tad big for my boys :D They actually love getting stuck. That and I can't afford a pimped quad that one.

mitch
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Just figured out what those pipes are for in skidogs pic and mud and dirt.com WOW! You'd have to be in some serious mud for those to be handy. :worthy:

zberger
06-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Here is a pic of my bike...warn bumper and 3.0xt winch

I will never understand why people who own 4 wheelers call them bikes.. ITS NOT A TWO WHEELED OBJECT :eek:

mgurley
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
I will never understand why people who own 4 wheelers call them bikes.. ITS NOT A TWO WHEELED OBJECT :eek:

Bikes, quads, 4 wheelers, utility wheelers, money pit...who cares...if you get confused just look up at the picture :D

Maristar210
06-01-2006, 12:08 PM

Many quad riders I meet try to pretend it takes similar skill to ride a quad as it takes to ride a dirt bike. I can assure riding a quad is not the same. Pretend on quad riders. ;)

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Funny how a thread about winches takes a drastic turn into this...:o

Maristar210
06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
It takes a turn when you call a quad a bike.

ThreadJack happens all the time WFT. You know that. look at the Toyota thread and what that turned that into...... :huh:

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
06-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Oh yes, I know all too well.....;)
I just thought it was funny...