PDA

View Full Version : I've confirmed it

NatesGr8
05-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Globe impellers do not work at idle speeds. Got a globe impeller from Lee, tried it out, works fine at high speeds. But as soon as you come down to idle, what seems like heat soak kicks in, but then it never goes away. The engine will stay hot until you raise the rpms to about 2000. I will be switching out the globe and putting my new johnson impeller in. Stay away from globe impellers!!!

G-man
05-31-2006, 10:05 AM
I had the same experiance. No one could explain why. The johnson 812 is the way to go.

NatesGr8
06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
I believe its due to the weaker (more bendy, yes thats the technical description) material used for the impeller blades. At lower rpm they don't create the suction needed, they probably can't keep a good seal against the housing.

tommcat
06-01-2006, 05:49 PM
the blue globe impeller??

i'm using one i got from Lee in the spring with absolutely no problems. my temp stays rock solid at idle and at speed.

MarkP
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
You guys are both in the LT1 too. That is interesting.

Iíll probably stick to the Johnson 812 anyway???

88 PS190
06-01-2006, 06:32 PM
the globe is the one that isn't supposed to break down as fast right?

NatesGr8
06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
yeah the globe is supposed to be able to run dry and last longer. i'm having problems with it, so it's in the trash now.

tommcat
06-03-2006, 07:12 PM
did you have problems with it from the start or did it take awhile to start causing problems? i have only a couple days worth on mine so far, might be why mine is ok?

G-man
06-03-2006, 08:02 PM
try to idle for about 10 minutes and watch your temp gauge

tommcat
06-04-2006, 12:38 PM
try to idle for about 10 minutes and watch your temp gauge
it takes about ten minutes going through a no wake zone to get to our camp on the river. it's pretty much at idle (just enough to get it in gear) through there and it was ok.
i will certainly be keeping an eye on it though. i have a spare impeller in the glove box, just in case

NatesGr8
06-05-2006, 09:55 AM
it happens to mine while idling. for example, after cruising, then slowing down for a no wake zone, it will overheat. or after pulling a wakeboarder then going to pick them up after falling it will over heat. and it takes quite a bit of newtral revving or about 2800 rpm cruising for the temp to come back down. the real bummer is that when the temp jumps up the engine won't let me rev too high so i have to wait in order to get another boarder out of the water. i've put the johnson in but haven't had that chance to try it out due to the weather here in new england :(

tommcat
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
i've put the johnson in but haven't had that chance to try it out due to the weather here in new england :(
I feel your pain, i'm in western MA. only had the boat in twice since i bought it in Oct :mad:

NatesGr8
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
i've got my fingers crossed for a good two days this weekend, maybe even 3 if i get all my work done :D

tommcat
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Where you located nate?

NatesGr8
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
milford, CT. I primarily boat on the housatonic river. A few times during the summer i'll travel to lake zoar and candlewood lake.

tommcat
06-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm on the CT river all summer, the camp is right next to the Oxbow ski club house. if you're ever up in the area let me know :wavey:

TMCNo1
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
milford, CT. I primarily boat on the housatonic river. A few times during the summer i'll travel to lake zoar and candlewood lake.

TT member KAS is from Milford, has a '84 and is restoring a '72. PM or E-mail him and give him a shout! We drove up from NC a couple years ago and visited him and his family for a few days, super people. He has a bunch of antique snowmobiles and restores cars and works in Bridgeport!

NatesGr8
06-07-2006, 12:01 PM
CT river all summer huh, i might have to take you up on that. Also, i'm surprised to see another member from milford. i have seen zero mc's around here. Only 2 other inboard ski/wake boats that i know of, one of my friends with a supra, and another guy with a bu. I'll be on the lookout for others, as i always am. :headbang:

tommcat
07-17-2006, 08:43 AM
well nate, you were correct about the impellers. after getting a few hours on mine it does the exact same thing. overheats in the no wake zones, idling for a boarder to get ready or if i dont get moving right away after starting it.
i switched it with my old impeller and the problem is gone. and it even runs about 15 degrees cooler while at speed.

no more blue globes for me!:mad:

Tom023
07-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I tried one as well and had it fail second time out. Worked fine the first time, but the next time I got no water flow at the ramp. Had to pull the boat out and drop in a Johnson