PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Issue

mc_prostar
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I have read alot of threads on the board about different fuel issues, so if this info is out there im sorry,

I have an 83 SS w/ powerslot

the boat runs great, good top end idles smooth, great whole shot but after it has been idling (for example: after driving in no wake zones as i get to dock it dies.

I will give it some gas and then crank it and starts right up.

I have checked the bowl levels and adjusted the carb i have no idea. and a note it does it hot or cold.

If it helps the previous owner put an edelbrock mar. carb on it and he put a new fuel pump on it but i dont know if it is a marine fuel pump. is it possible that a non marine fuel pump doesnt flow enough at low rpm's?

could it be the carb itself, should i go back to the 4160

thanks in advance

Hunterb
05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
That is an odd problem. It sounds like it's starving for fuel if it fires right up after giving it a shot of gas. Have you cleaned the carb to make sure the idle circuit is clear? If I am reading your post correctly the problem only surfaces after extended idling. Is that correct?

Someone that know more about carbs will chime in I'm sure.

Good luck with that.

Bruce

mc_prostar
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM
The carb is not even a year old, the guy put it on days before i bought the boat in dec. so i don't think that is the issue.

and yes the only time i have this issues is for extended period idling.

And i have been around carbs for a long time, i just wondered if it had something to do with the difference between regular and marine.

M-Funf
05-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I've got two Edelbrock EDS-1409 carbs on another boat of mine.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/pfe9baf1dd9b9dd8956eee74763c49424/eebcf252.jpg

They seem to work very well, and have not had any issues. I had been thinking about swapping the Holley on my '76 S&S to Edelbrock, but it seems to work pretty good, so I think I'm going to leave well enough alone until I have a problem.

Sorry that's not the answer you need, but ya' get a bump anyways.

Welcome!

:toast:

Hoff1
05-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Do you still have points on the distributor or has it been converted to electronic ignition? If so, how long since they've been changed. I was having some idling issues, but they've seem to have been fixed when I converted to electronic ignition and threw out the points. My points had at least 5 seasons on them, and they were starting to cause noticeable issues. I've heard that bad points can mimic a lot of fuel delivery issues.

ski_king
05-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Sorry noot a lot of help here either.
What do you you have the idle set at? If you kicked it up a 100 rpm or so, would that help?

Vince at Discount Inboard Marine may be able to help you out, but not sure if he knows the Elderbrocks like he does the Holleys.

mc_prostar
05-31-2006, 02:36 PM
didnt think about checking my points, they are not even aseason old, i will also see if i bring up the idle and vince is good and i do need to make an order so i might chat with him.

thanks all