PDA

View Full Version : Best ski for a big guy????? Help guys.

RobertT
05-30-2006, 03:01 PM
For a beginner, what do you recommend as far as a slalom ski for a guy....lets say....6'5" 245lbs?????

My friends skis are all small, as are my friends, and if I am going to get into slalom a little more I might as well buy something that fits me.

I borrowed one this weekend....but it is HUGE.

Suggestions? Not trying to spend a ton, I wont use it often, but something better than the Dicks Sporting Goods doubles that I have would be nice.

#47of100TeamMC
05-30-2006, 03:09 PM
your going to want to get a 72" ski for your size. Maybe look at a shaped ski as well. not sure if the vengeance is offered in a 72. But other's will know. I'm looking for a similar ski for my brother to use as well. He's about 6'3" and 240 as well.

OSUspenc99
05-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I ride a 71" Triumph From HO and I am about 6'4 270lbs. I am real pleased with the ski and would tell everyone to buy.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-30-2006, 04:16 PM
My buddy just skied his new HO Triumph 71" last weekend and he loves it! :) he is about 240lbs. He likes it cuz he can really ski it, it doesnt hinder his style. I suggest one of those after seeing him ski on it.

you may also want to check out an O'brien World Team in a 72" or 75" ski

or a HO Magnum 71". These are the ones I know of. :twocents:

Let us know how this goes :wavey:

daveg
05-30-2006, 11:45 PM
There was a 71" HO Magnum on Ski-it-again.com a few weeks ago for $100-$125 or so. Great deal! Very good ski. I just picked up the 67" version of that ski tonight called the Burner. Can't wait to try it out.

BeavenX5
05-31-2006, 09:47 AM
I tried the HO Charger 2 years ago (69"). Great ski to help you progress from beginner all the way to course slalom. It is shaped to help with deep water start and to allow you to learn slalom at slower speed. For your weight, the HO Magnum (71") is probaly the one.
HO Burner (67"), Charger (69") and Magnum (71") are the same ski but different lenth.

If you find a great deal on a Charger (money talks), I beleive it can also do the job as it is fairly wide. My friend who owns the Charger is 6'6" and 220lb.

RobertT
05-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks all.

I couldn't find the HO Magnum on the ski it again site. I guess it sold.

At barts, I found the new big daddy at 250.00. http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Water_Skis/Slalom_Water_Skis/Connelly_Big_Daddy/index.asp

Where else can I look? Overtons/Barts is all I have checked so far.

05-31-2006, 10:57 AM
www.wileyski.com is where I bought my HO's from.

bkhallpass
05-31-2006, 12:03 PM
You don't want the Big Daddy. It's not much more than a teaching ski for Big Guys. You'll get up immediately, but it's not maneuvarable, and doesn't like to go much more than 24-25 mph. Your skills will exceed the ski after only a couple of trips. BKH

NORTHERN LIGHTS
05-31-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm 6'5" 270 and ski on a world team 75". back in the day about 30lbs lighter I skied a 71"
If he is new to skiing the 75 will be great. alot of surface area and good all around recreational ski

Ryan
05-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I''m 6'3" and 240 and ride a 69" Obrien Verdict, but I ski at 34mph. Since you're just starting off, how far you think you'd like to get with skiing? Are you going to ski every time you go out, or 1 out of every 5 trips?

If it is just for kicks go for a Connelly FX, it will give you nice dividends quickily. If you want to get into a slalom course eventually the Magnum (or even better the HO Triumph) will get you going and not slow down your progress.

Kell
05-31-2006, 01:08 PM
FWIW, I'm 6'4" at 255 lbs and ski the HO Magnum 71". I'm intermediate to advanced skier and have been very pleased with the Magnum (never skied a course though). The Magnum is easy to get up on, but I'm old schooled and learned to get up behind a 50 hp outboard, so I'm a "tail dragger". One of these years I would like to try a double boot. You should try and demo any ski that your interested in if possible, however, I recognize that this may not work in your circumstances.

PendO
05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
We have a few different sizes of the "shovel" skis ... great for teaching people of all sizes and especially nice for the 200# plus guys to learn on with the increased surface area.

http://www.connellyskis.com/2006/index.php?mod=skis&id_prd=13&id_gal=41&display=gallery

Ours are not connelly, I thought they were HO brand skis, but I do not see them on their website.

05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm 6'5" 270 and ski on a world team 75". back in the day about 30lbs lighter I skied a 71"
If he is new to skiing the 75 will be great. alot of surface area and good all around recreational ski
I really wish I could get my dad on a ski again. He's older and heavier now, and he thinks he cant ski anymore. If he were to agree to try again, I would buy him a 75" World Team just for trying. Overtons runs some Saweet deals on those skis, and I would love to see him ski again. I think one ride on that 75" ski would hook him again! Hmmmm.....ya know....I havent got him anything for Father's day yet...... :rolleyes:

RobertT
05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
I''m 6'3" and 240 and ride a 69" Obrien Verdict, but I ski at 34mph. Since you're just starting off, how far you think you'd like to get with skiing? Are you going to ski every time you go out, or 1 out of every 5 trips?

If it is just for kicks go for a Connelly FX, it will give you nice dividends quickily. If you want to get into a slalom course eventually the Magnum (or even better the HO Triumph) will get you going and not slow down your progress.

Good question. I am not sure. Because ballast is not allowed on my lake, wakeboarding is a little harder for a big guy. Its great when we have six people on board, but in the mornings its just not the same.

If I can get decent at it, I would say I would use it every time we have a morning session on the glass. I live on the lake, so its much easier to justify spending a few bucks when you get out as much as I do. Whatever I get, it will get a lot of use. I have a pair of skis from Dicks, and use that one for slalom and its fine I suppose, but don't really know the difference either. It seems hard to initiate a turn, but I am sure that's just technique.

If you dont mind, could you give me the differences between the FX and the Magnum? I don't see myself on the course anytime soon by the way, just ripping up some glass with a cup of coffee before work.

Oh, and can I cram my size 13/14s into an XL boot? I would like to stay with an XL so that others can use the ski too.

05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
RobertT,

If you got feet that big you dont need skis! ;)

Seriously, with 13/14 size feet, you may want to check into XXL size bindings that Wileys has.

Check these out
http://www.wileyski.com/wilbinds.htm

My buddy has a 71" Triumph with Wiley bindings, and he loves it. He has size 12 feet and he has hte XL binding, so the XXL should work great for you.

Wiley can sell you the ski, and put the right bindings on it for you. SO you can get a HO Magnum, or HO Triumph and then get the XXL wiley bindings on it in the configuration YOU choose, you can buy either double boots, or front boot and rear toe plate. I have always found Wileys prices to be very competitive. Give Darren a call there, tell him what your wanting to do and get a price.

He might even have a left over 2005 model ski or a blem that you can save a few bucks on. :twocents: Hope this helps :)

UMP

Leroy
05-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Here is my fat boy. $35 off ebay. I like it and ski 32-34 MPH. Says max speed 28 but it seems very stable at higher speeds. I'm ready for new ski but this one has done well for past couple of years and anyone can get up on this baby!

PendO
05-31-2006, 02:58 PM
leroy, that picture hurt my neck.

RobertT
06-01-2006, 10:06 PM
After much reading, and after hearing it from you guys, I think the HO Magnum seems like the perfect ski for me. If I only get on it once a month or so, I think the Magnum might be easier to just have fun on.

I found it at called Ride The Wave...

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=ridewatersports&query=magnum&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ridewatersports.com%2Fi ndex.html

329 bones including the bindings. Wileys was about 450 for the same ski with their standard Wileys bindings. Anyone care to comment on the differences between the binding at Ride and Wileys?

Does this seems like a reasonable decision, at a reasonable price?

Thanks you guys! This is a huge help. If nothing else, this process on this board prevents buyers remorse:)

06-01-2006, 11:11 PM
I think thats a wise purchase for you Robert. I dont really know much about that store, but thats a great price on that ski. I would go for it if I were you. I am experiencing buyers remorse already and I havent even bought a ski! :uglyhamme Please tell me how to get rid of it! I am jonesing for a new ride too, but having a hard time justifying it.... Its not to practical, I am trying HARD to let "good judgement" talk me out of buying one.... :rolleyes:

Good luck, and let us know what you do and how it works out for you please :)

UMP

RobertT
06-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I think thats a wise purchase for you Robert. I dont really know much about that store, but thats a great price on that ski. I would go for it if I were you. I am experiencing buyers remorse already and I havent even bought a ski! :uglyhamme Please tell me how to get rid of it! I am jonesing for a new ride too, but having a hard time justifying it.... Its not to practical, I am trying HARD to let "good judgement" talk me out of buying one.... :rolleyes:

Good luck, and let us know what you do and how it works out for you please :)

UMP

Thanks.

Yep, the good part of not knowing much of anything about slalom is that no matter which ski I bought I could talk myself into loving it or hating it.....all depending on my attitude. Heck, anything would be better than my Dicks Sports combo set I am using now. The subtle differences between the recommended skis would probably be imperceptible to me unless I really got into it. Plus, if I do really get into it, undoubtedly I will want something different by then anyway.

I am one of those guys that agonizes of purchases. Its not the money, at all, its that for some reason (probably growing up on the absolute bottom of the economic curve :( ) I like to get a "deal" on everything. Its a plague really. Its hard for me to feel good about just going out and buying something frivolous at the closest place. Grrrrrrrr.

When I bought my boat, I looked at a 99 Prostar the same day as the new X7. I was going to buy one of them, whichever I felt was the best value. I know...seems crazy.

I am very glad I bought the new boat though!

The other side of my personality is that I learned very young that buying crap then upgrading one stage at a time is the most expensive way to do anything. That goes for tools, boats, or women.

Combine those two opposing traits, and you have a guy that agonizes over stupid things when it really shouldn't matter.

Anyway, at every dealer they have an agenda. I think there is a lot of wisdom on this board, and if something is recommended by someone with experience with no hidden agenda.....I get that warm and fuzzy feeling about the decision.

Thats all, and thanks for the warm and fuzzies.

Ryan
06-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Robert, I have the same shopping habit. We treat nearly all purchases through the capital/durable-good shopping process. We shop for everything as though it were a new car. Whether it's my new wakeboard, exhaust, brakes etc... unless it's deodorant, I'm pretty nuts about making sure I get it for the lowest possible price.

I have friends that buy stuff and never submit the rebate - I'm talkin' $100 rebates! I just don't get that. How does someone not go to Froogle, Ebay, and every other website or brick&mortor store? And then there is the post purchase analysis. I still have auto Ebay searches on stuff I bought to make sure I got the best deal. I have a brother in law who walked into a dealer and said give me a new Denali...oh no I don't need to test drive it, I used to have a suburban here's a check. No cross shopping nothin'! I'd have a heart attack.

Some of those friends/family ask me to online shop for them because they know I'm a junkie and they'll save some money.

Leroy
06-02-2006, 12:40 AM
I shop the same also.

Certainly if you live on the lake Robert you should get good mileage out of the Magnum and it will take you a long way.

RobertT
06-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Robert, I have the same shopping habit. We treat nearly all purchases through the capital/durable-good shopping process. We shop for everything as though it were a new car. Whether it's my new wakeboard, exhaust, brakes etc... unless it's deodorant, I'm pretty nuts about making sure I get it for the lowest possible price.

I have friends that buy stuff and never submit the rebate - I'm talkin' $100 rebates! I just don't get that. How does someone not go to Froogle, Ebay, and every other website or brick&mortor store? And then there is the post purchase analysis. I still have auto Ebay searches on stuff I bought to make sure I got the best deal. I have a brother in law who walked into a dealer and said give me a new Denali...oh no I don't need to test drive it, I used to have a suburban here's a check. No cross shopping nothin'! I'd have a heart attack.

Some of those friends/family ask me to online shop for them because they know I'm a junkie and they'll save some money.

I am actually uncharacteristically guilty of buying a suburban and a tahoe the same day over the phone without every having driven them. I knew what I wanted, and had the word of someone at the dealership that I trusted that they would sell it for $200.00 over invoice. Done deal, that's a value.

On the other hand, when I was shopping for a new boat, if a boat worth 20k could be bought for 10k, I would buy it. The same day if a boat worth 75k could be bought for 50k, I would buy it.

Its not about the money, its the deal.

I guess we are cheap :o

Thanks everyone...I hope I like the Magnum. I review will follow in a few weeks once I get some miles on it.

BeavenX5
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
You will love the Manum. As I said in an earlier post I tried my friend's Charger and loved it. I bought my daughter Obrien Mapple 63" ski last year from Ride the Wave and got excellent service, best price and fast shipping. Great choice. :toast:

My friend only skis occasionnally with me for now 3 years and will start in the course this year with his Charger. I would not be surprised if you can do the same next year with more time than him on the water and a good coach. Don't hesitate to ask fellow waterskiers on your lake to come on board your boat and coach you. This is what I do with a neibourgh and it helped me a lot to improve my technique fast.

06-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I am one of those guys that agonizes of purchases. Its not the money, at all, its that for some reason (probably growing up on the absolute bottom of the economic curve :( ) I like to get a "deal" on everything. Its a plague really. Its hard for me to feel good about just going out and buying something frivolous at the closest place. Grrrrrrrr.

The other side of my personality is that I learned very young that buying crap then upgrading one stage at a time is the most expensive way to do anything. That goes for tools, boats, or women.

Combine those two opposing traits, and you have a guy that agonizes over stupid things when it really shouldn't matter.

Anyway, at every dealer they have an agenda. I think there is a lot of wisdom on this board, and if something is recommended by someone with experience with no hidden agenda.....I get that warm and fuzzy feeling about the decision.

you have just basically defined me as a consumer. I call it being wise. I shop, and shop and shop. I am ALWAYS looking for that deal. My dad bought me a Canon Rebel EOS 2000 (film) camera kit for chistmas 2004, he got it on a closeout for $169, new in the box with warranty card. Not refurbished or blem, just got a deal cuz digital cams rule the market now. I was SO stoked he got a deal on it!! It made it even better!!! I love getting deals like that..... Thats what I am looking for in my next ski......a 1 or 2 year old leftover at a GREAT price.

Rock on boys!! Maybe we should start a "cheap" club.....we can all be cheap and exchange ideas :wavey: :D

RobertT
06-09-2006, 05:44 PM
So far, I really dig the new ski. Of course, how would I know whats good or not with my severe lack of experience, but I can say a few things with certainty.

1. It was only marginally harder to do a deep water start with the Magnum that the behemoth that I used two weeks ago (if it wasn't the Big Daddy it was close). It really was not a big deal, I popped up right away.

2. For some reason, and I have zero idea why, I didn't get the nasal douche that I did before. The water seemed to simply part in front of me until I popped up, as opposed to filling every water lacking crevice in my body with water via my nose. Strange, but I liked that.

3. It seemed to plow less than the other skis. I felt like I was gliding over the water rather than plowing through.

4. Of course, the turns were easier and more controlled. I could go on and on about that, but with this crowd.....no need. You understand.

5. Having a decent binding rocks. Period. The comfort difference is astounding.

6. Slalom skiing is a flippin WORKOUT. I am one sore puppy!

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. The dealer, Ride the Wave, was awesome. They shipped it within a few hours, I received it in perfect condition in a well packed box, and they were the cheapest in town. Zero negatives.

I am going to assume that the stock fin setting is just fine and dandy for the foreseeable future, that may be another story all together.

Have fun this weekend everyone!

06-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Robert,

COngrats man!!! :headbang: Sounds great!

I know what you mean about the nasal douche. I hate that. mostly because of my allergies. Its a excellent way to get pollen and allergens into your body. I usually take a Zyrtec D before I get in the boat, and put a drop of Zaditor in my eyes to combat the histamines.

I am glad you got your ski and that its working so well for you. Thanks for keeping us posted. Let us know how it progresses.

BIGBADBLUE
06-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Good thread. I am also in the market for a new ski. I am currently on an older HO VTX 69", howver, have gained a few punds since I last bought a ski. I am now 6'1", 215lbs. I consider myself intermediate skiier, mostly open water (32MPH) but if I ski the course then I can get my 15 off run at 32MPH.

I have always had HO skies ... how would the Magnum or Triumph compare to my old VTX? Should I go up to a 71"? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan
06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Good thread. I am also in the market for a new ski. I am currently on an older HO VTX 69", howver, have gained a few punds since I last bought a ski. I am now 6'1", 215lbs. I consider myself intermediate skiier, mostly open water (32MPH) but if I ski the course then I can get my 15 off run at 32MPH.

I have always had HO skies ... how would the Magnum or Triumph compare to my old VTX? Should I go up to a 71"? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I weigh 235 and ski on a standard width 69". I would not go for 71" if you are skiing at 32, especially when the ski is that wide. You don't want to feel like you're trying to turn a barge.