PDA

View Full Version : Never pull a tube? Sorry bout ur luck! Kite tubing pic

athen99
05-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Check it out. I'm on the tube, but you can't see my head cuz it's tucked between my legs. It's definitely dangerous, but oh so much fun. I was still going up and they had to lean back cuz they couldn't see me through the bimini. I got up about 12' and flew around 50 yds. AWESOME.

It won't let me post, the file is too big!

wtrjock
05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Can you email me the picture? I can post it for you. I really want to see that picture!

tryan@yahoo.com

athen99
05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Just sent it!

wtrjock
05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Here is Athen's Picture. I have got to buy one of these!

Leroy
05-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Cool, it's only water when you land anyway!

bucky
05-30-2006, 04:59 PM
The skull on the bottom tells me all I need to know.:eek: No thanks!
Kudos for the cojones to try that thing, though.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-30-2006, 05:12 PM

TRU DAT! :toast:

rodltg2
05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
@#%* that, i will never ride that thing, not to mention fork out the $ to buy one. ill sure as heII pull one of you guys on it though.. :D

Leroy
05-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Top side probably has a happy face! ;)

Kudos for the cojones to try that thing, though.

bigmac
05-30-2006, 06:30 PM
The four little girls I pulled on the Wego over the weekend had a ball :uglyhamme

blackbeauty02
05-30-2006, 06:43 PM
the watersport/mastercraft dealer that i go to won't sell those kite tubes. there have been to many deaths on it. surprised they still sell that thing. just 2 weeks ago a kid was on it and the wind caught it and slammed him into the water and snapped his neck killing him.

kycat2007
05-30-2006, 07:24 PM
KFDM-TV Channel Six News writes…

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department tonight is investigating the death of a man who fell off something called a kite tube and landed in the water near the Neches River and the Intracoastal Waterway.

Advertisers say buy a kite tube, and you’ll reach ‘incredible heights.’

Water sports enthusiast Don Burnett says, “As wind gets underneath it, you just start to fly.”

Three weeks ago Burnett of Lumberton ordered a kite tube.

Burnett says, “Adrenaline water sport we enjoy doing.”

But as Texas Parks and Wildlife knows first hand, the thrill of flight can leave danger in its wake. On Sunday 33-year-old James Freeland of Orangefield died after falling off a kite tube near Stutes Island where the Neches River meets the Intracoastal Waterway.

Game Warden Robbie Smith says, “Common sense is really an oxymoron. People don’t use it that often. They don’t think before.”

According to another game warden’s preliminary report, Freeland was about 15 feet in the air on the tube. Several witnesses say the kite tube turned onto its side in the air and then fell to the water. Freeland was knocked off. His neck was injured, and he died at a hospital.

Smith says, “It sounds like it was just an accident. As far as being able to put responsibility on somebody, I don’t know you can.”

An instructional video on sportsstuff.com says the boat driver has far more control over the rider than in other water sports.

The announcer on the video says, “The speed, height and flight control are all directly associated with the boat driver.”

Parks and Wildlife says there is no evidence the driver was impaired, and he hasn’t been cited. But the accident has caused Burnett to rethink whether he’ll take a ride on his tube when it arrives.

Burnett says, “Certainly something I’ll look into and evaluate and weigh the options as far as fun and the risk of getting hurt or harmed.”

Game wardens admit they don’t know much about this new extreme sport, so they’re not suggesting you avoid it. But they agree with the words printed on this tube, ‘Never kite higher than you’re willing to fall.’

Freeland will be laid to rest on Thursday. KFDM News checked with local stores, and we couldn’t find any that sell kite tubes. For comments or questions about this story contact Sally MacDonald at 895-4662 or sallymac@kfdm.com.
:eek:

rodltg2
05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
after reading that, i wouldnt even pull one of you guys on it now

wiltok
05-30-2006, 07:43 PM
A neighbor girl broke her collarbone on the kite tube over the weekend. Feel sideways from about 10 feet up and hit the water badly. They were going WAY too fast - feel bad for the girl. What a start for the summer!

p.s. Another kid twisted his ankle.

rodltg2
05-30-2006, 07:52 PM
man , that thing is going to make the news.. you cant blame the tube though, if your going to buy it an ride it take responsiblity yourself..

Datdude
05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
I saw one on my parents lake being pulled by a SN. The guy on the tube took a digger from about 10 feet up and it looked nasty :D I could watch the kite tube people and boat launch people all day long :uglyhamme

wiltok
05-30-2006, 08:45 PM
It was fun to watch - then I found out later about the little girl. When I was watching them, they couldn't get the kite to fly - so they kept going faster and faster. They were driving an older MC, and I would estimate they were going close to 40 mph. A fall from 10 feet at 40 would hurt!! I fell flat while surfing and it stung a little and gave me a headache...

tex
05-30-2006, 08:53 PM
As I said before, I don't like to ride anything that I'm not in control of, example, certain girls in college, tubes, roller coasters, and certain girls in college!

Hoosier Bob
05-30-2006, 09:02 PM
You need a good point man Tex! ;) The guy you can talk into anything you want to do but really don't know if you should. I usually use UMP in this case. The girls in college, I was on my own but I did not mind! ;) Most of hat stuff is curable or atleast not very noticable. Heck I would even date some of'em twice!
As I said before, I don't like to ride anything that I'm not in control of, example, certain girls in college, tubes, roller coasters, and certain girls in college!

dapicatti
05-31-2006, 08:27 AM
after reading that, i wouldnt even pull one of you guys on it now

I don't think I will either...we saw one this weekend but the weather was pretty crappy and they didn't get it up out of the water....I am sure we will be seeing more of these. :rolleyes:

Davo
05-31-2006, 10:35 AM
man , that thing is going to make the news.. you cant blame the tube though, if your going to buy it an ride it take responsiblity yourself..

Amen to that, but I have a strange feeling that it may require too much common sense for some people to avoid seeking an attorney post-accident. :rolleyes:

Davo
05-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Check it out. I'm on the tube, but you can't see my head cuz it's tucked between my legs. It's definitely dangerous, but oh so much fun. I was still going up and they had to lean back cuz they couldn't see me through the bimini. I got up about 12' and flew around 50 yds. AWESOME.

You're crazy. I can think of a dozen other ways I could get wreck myself barefooting or wakeboarding if I had a hankerin' to get worked. I don't know, but saying I got messed up doing a back to front or a heel side mobe would be much easier for me than telling people I got pounded flying 15 feet on a tube. ;) :D

skeeler
05-31-2006, 11:33 AM
They already banned them on our lake.....and I haven't even tried it!! :mad:

athen99
05-31-2006, 11:34 AM
You definitely have to fly it! It does take some skill and experience as it says on the tube. It also says," Don't kite higher than you want to fall." We never turn and always go straight into a light head wind and when we're up that high we kill the boat, but of course it takes a little while to get slack in the rope. The tube is very controllable at speeds of 20 mph and hooked to a tower ( they say not to tho). I guess I'm an adrenaline junky, but it feels awesome up there!! I knew there would be people getting hurt on these things.

LakePirate
05-31-2006, 11:43 AM
I was listening to Jimmy Johnson's (NASCAR Driver) radio show the other day and he was talking with other drivers Brian Vickers and Casey Mears and they were telling about how they bought one and took it out on lake norman. From what they said it is very similar to a kite, espically if you catch a gust from the side. Everyone remember what happened to the kites you used to fly when you were a kid? Crash and burn.

rodltg2
05-31-2006, 11:44 AM
They already banned them on our lake.....and I haven't even tried it!! :mad:

i dont think they should ban them. that just the start of trouble

NORTHERN LIGHTS
05-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Screw the tube...I'll give the college girls a sre..try!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-31-2006, 12:43 PM
You need a good point man Tex! ;) The guy you can talk into anything you want to do but really don't know if you should. I usually use UMP in this case. The girls in college, I was on my own but I did not mind! ;) Most of hat stuff is curable or atleast not very noticable. Heck I would even date some of'em twice!
SO I guess that puts me in charge of riding tubes and rollercoasters, and you in charge of the "rest"

Thanks alot HB :rolleyes:

I dont think they should ban that either, but I wouldnt want to try it myself. Let people take responsiblity and let em fly it!

Datdude, I agree with you on boat launch people....they are a hoot! :D