PDA

View Full Version : To pack, or not to pack???

bobbyB
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
If I've got "bearing buddies" on all 4 axles, do I still need to repack the bearings? It's been about 2 years.

Also, I need to the change out the trany fluid. Problem is, I'm not sure if the previous owner used a synthetic??? It's my understanding that when you drain the fluid out of a trany that you are really only getting about 1/2 the fluid out; so I'm a bit aprehensive about moving forward till I know what to do.

Thanks for your help.

B

jimmer2880
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
how many miles and how many dips into the water in those 2 years? I'm sure some on here will tell you every year. But - I've left mine go for a handful of years. Bearing Buddies are awesome. At least you know there is grease contacting the bearings.

bobbyB
05-30-2006, 04:11 PM
how many miles and how many dips into the water in those 2 years? I'm sure some on here will tell you every year. But - I've left mine go for a handful of years. Bearing Buddies are awesome. At least you know there is grease contacting the bearings.

I've dipped it about 30x a year for the last couple. Mileage.....1000 give or take.

Footin
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I repack and reseal every other year. Better safe than sorry.

Thrall
05-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Knocking on wood as I type this. 3rd season w/ the boat now. Put close to 10k mi on the trlr. I do fill the bearing buddies a few times a year, but haven't had the wheels off to repack the bearings yet.
None of them feel spun at all. Probably dipped the trailer 40-50x since I bought it and given what I know about the previuos owner, he probably didn't grease them at all.
I have too many vehicles/wheels to take care of already. Repacking the bearings ahsn't made it to the top of the list.............yet.
Note, I have a tandem trlr, so I figure if I did lose a bearing, I could chain up the wheel and then have a real good excuse to go thru them all when I get home.

ajgressette
05-31-2006, 07:40 AM
From my experence, I will be replacing mine every other year from now own. Man its a bad feeling to have a bearing fail on your trailer. I had one fail and destroyed the spindle and hub.

Take Footins advice. Better safe than sorry! :friday:

bobbyB
05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the input guys.