PDA

View Full Version : stopping your boat

DanC
07-30-2004, 12:13 PM
When you stop your boat do you put the throttle in neutral or leave it in gear?

To better explain;
skier falls and driver throttles back to stop, turns and idles back to the skier. Do you throttle back to neutral or do you keep it in gear slightly. If you put it in neutral, the prop free spins and you coast to a stop. If you throttle back to idle but still in gear, the prop acts like a water brake and slows you down faster. My first thought was this puts more strain on the tranny but on the other hand I don't think it is any more strain than a deep water start.
:steering:
Any thoughts?

bradamerry
07-30-2004, 12:28 PM
I've never thought about what I do. I'll start paying more attention.

mastercraft1995
07-30-2004, 03:48 PM
I put the boat to nuetral and turn to the right. After the rollers go by I drive very slow back to the skier. Once I get to the skier I swear at the for falling and tell them to hold on at all cost. It will only hurts until it feels better. 8p

MarkP
07-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Mastercraft1995,

Thatís just wrong!!

Just stop (no turning the wheel). Just tie on a new skier:D

OhioProstar
07-30-2004, 04:58 PM
I normally do a hard P turn and come back to see if the rider wants another ride...if too hot I employ a little reverse. Never had any problems. My skiers normally like the fact that when they go down I am right back there to pick them up or block them from other boats/pwc.

jake
07-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Hard turns are a good way to slow down quickly in open water, but on the course they cause un-wanted rollers down course. Best technique in the course is to just throttle back and coast to a stop. This usually gives the skier enough time to swim back to the center of the course as well.

That is unless the skier might be hurt, then rollers schmollers, get back as quick as possible.

DanC
07-30-2004, 06:15 PM
I had hoped that this would not turn into a turn method thread. There have been a gazillion threads on boards about that. I don't want to step on any toes :o but it is pretty well accepted that if you don't do an idle turn, everyone around you will be cursing you for sending out rollers (as well as your own skier)

I was interested what people thought about coming to a stop in neutral, out of gear (prop free spinning) versus idle, in gear and using the prop as a brake. For you airplane types it would be like the difference between feathering your prop and not.

Or just it just not matter? :rolleyes:

MarkP
07-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Dan I really never gave it a lot of thought. I think for the most part I do not pull the N button out when coming to a stop (for no particular reason). I donít know how much of a difference it would make but what you said in your first post, technically, sounds correct

Stritt
07-30-2004, 09:40 PM
I pull back to neutral, wait for the boat to come off plane and slow down to idle speed, begin turn and put back into gear.

H20skeefreek
07-30-2004, 10:53 PM
I had hoped that this would not turn into a turn method thread. There have been a gazillion threads on boards about that. I don't want to step on any toes :o but it is pretty well accepted that if you don't do an idle turn, everyone around you will be cursing you for sending out rollers (as well as your own skier)

I was interested what people thought about coming to a stop in neutral, out of gear (prop free spinning) versus idle, in gear and using the prop as a brake. For you airplane types it would be like the difference between feathering your prop and not.

Or just it just not matter? :rolleyes:

Dan, while I understand what you are saying, I don't think that most people get what you are asking.

BriEOD
07-31-2004, 08:37 AM
I'm the same as dot. I pull the throttle all the way back, but not to neutral. Then after the wake simmers down, then I slowly turn around and get the skier.

I agree with Dan, the only time I do a hard turn if their is another boat that I think doesn't see my skier, or if they don't raise their hand when they fall (maybe they're hurt). If you do turn hard you'll send roller for 5 minutes. :mad:

dstenberg
08-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Dan, guess I learned something on this one :-) I've always powered around to get back quick. I'll try the slow speed turn thing. On the prop braking effect sounds right -
Leave in fwd gear till slow, then u-turn & fetch at your
desired speed :-)

This might also keep a little more water out of the boat ?
:uglyhamme

_JR
08-02-2004, 12:49 AM
When the skier is down, I throttle down to Neutral and steer to the right (if available), and then let the rollers push me around as I gradually apply throttle.

Ease us beside the victim, er skier and hit it again. :D

NO ROLLERS!!! :mad:

east tx skier
08-02-2004, 11:06 AM
This required more thought than I anticipated. I never really thought about using the more slowly spinning prop to decelerate more quickly.

To date, I do it like 35th 197. Assuming other boats are not bearing down on my skier ... Back to neutral until off plane, idle turn back to skier.