PDA

View Full Version : Bottom knobs on my tower will not stay tight

michael freeman
05-30-2006, 10:22 AM
The two bottom knobs that attach the rear part of the tower to the hull mounting block on the new style tower ('06 X-30), are coming lose after about 30 min. to an hour of boat use. I have to constantly tighten them when I am on the lake, and it is getting old. :rant:

Any ideas how to correct this issue? :huh: I was thinking of buying some O-rings to see if that would help wedge them on or at least prevent them from vibrating lose so quickly.

FYI, I have 2 sets of the MC speakers and usually carry at least two wakeboards on the tower.

Thanks,
Mike

jkski
05-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Mike,

Do you existing knobs have a rubber o-ring on them, if not, that will make a big difference. A friend of mine had the same problem with his 05 tower (same as 06), and it turned out that his knobs were shipped without the o-ring, so MC replaced them.
Good luck.

sizzler
05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Mike,

Do you existing knob have a rubber o-ring on them, if not, that will make a big difference. A friend of mine had the same problem with his knob
Good luck.

that must hurt :cool: :uglyhamme

michael freeman
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Mike,

Do you existing knobs have a rubber o-ring on them, if not, that will make a big difference. A friend of mine had the same problem with his 05 tower (same as 06), and it turned out that his knobs were shipped without the o-ring, so MC replaced them.
Good luck.

Not sure, I will have to check tonight.

erkoehler
05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
The two bottom knobs that attach the rear part of the tower to the hull mounting block on the new style tower ('06 X-30), are coming lose after about 30 min. to an hour of boat use. I have to constantly tighten them when I am on the lake, and it is getting old. :rant:

Any ideas how to correct this issue? :huh: I was thinking of buying some O-rings to see if that would help wedge them on or at least prevent them from vibrating lose so quickly.

FYI, I have 2 sets of the MC speakers and usually carry at least two wakeboards on the tower.

Thanks,
Mike

Your dealer should be able to replace them, for you. Are the holes on the tower stripped out, or is it just the knob?

jmyers
05-30-2006, 07:07 PM
I believe it is a nylon washer on the knobs! They keep mine tight all the time, so tight I have to keep one of those "as seen on tv" rubber strap wrench's in the boat to unscrew them!

michael freeman
09-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Mine still get lose and require tightening at least once a trip even with the nylon washers.

Is there a solution to this problem yet or am I the only one having it.

TheOneandOnly
09-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Put some locktite on the bolt that will prevent it from coming loose, or there is also a nylon patch that is in a liquid form that you can put on the bolt which when it is threaded back in it will keep it from loosing up from vibration. With the way bolts work as far as tightening this is your only two choices unless they put a cotter pin on the other end of the bolt which they cannot do.

RK@UST
09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Like erk said, I would be at the dealer with this problem.

Roonie's
09-17-2007, 09:55 AM
I would be cautious on locktite. If you ever have to take the knobs back off to lower tower what will happen as it has to me, is the bolt will still stay in and the actual knob will unscrew right off the bolt. The bolt is just a double ended screw. I have had to then gingerly use pliers to get the bolt to turn and loosen without screwing up the threads so I could put the knob back on. Just an FYI. I have to lower tower after every trip out though to get in garage.