PDA

View Full Version : heater core replacement

jmac197
05-30-2006, 09:05 AM
I know this topic has probably been done before, but does anyone know what automotive heater core fits the heatercraft heater? It's the smaller two outlet setup.

Thanks
Jim

jkski
05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Jim,

I'm not sure which one replaces it, however, you might check with your dealer before doing, as I know that MC was replacing a lot of them under warranty.....I guess they got a bad batch from the mfg. Don't know what year your boat is, but it might be worth asking.

jmac197
05-30-2006, 09:29 AM
The boat is an '02. I have already done the warrenty replacement. I think this time it's my own fault. I winterized the same as always, but, I don't know, maybe I didn't blow out as much water as I thought. I also wanted to be able to have a shorter turn around, just go to the local parts mart and pick one up.

Thanks
Jim

jkski
05-30-2006, 09:32 AM
I hear ya on the turnaround, sorry I can't be of more help. You might try a search on this sight, as I do recall someone posting the part number.
Keep in mind that you may have gotten a bad replacement one though, so they may warranty this one as well.

bigmac
05-30-2006, 09:47 AM
The boat is an '02. I have already done the warrenty replacement. I think this time it's my own fault. I winterized the same as always, but, I don't know, maybe I didn't blow out as much water as I thought. I also wanted to be able to have a shorter turn around, just go to the local parts mart and pick one up.

Thanks
Jim

After blowing out the heater core lines during winterizing last fall, I then pumped -100 RV antifreeze through them until I could hear the AF returning to the block. I found a cheap-but-effective $12 hand pump (http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-winterizing-pump.htm) for that.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/hand-pump-kit.jpg

phecksel
05-30-2006, 12:18 PM
I know this topic has probably been done before, but does anyone know what automotive heater core fits the heatercraft heater? It's the smaller two outlet setup.

Thanks
Jim
Take the core to an auto parts store that will allow you to sit down at their book and look for the replacement. My old heater core was a 1978 Ford Van. Buy two, they are cheap, LOL. That way you'll never ever need a new one again!

TMCNo1
05-30-2006, 01:50 PM
My nephew runs a radiator shop, called him and he has had people come by needing a replacement core. Most boat heater mfg's use a already existing core to build their system around and the heater cores are readily available. There should be a # stamped on the core or a tag with a part # that can be cross referenced to most all replacement core suppliers.

jimmer2880
05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
I took my core last year to a buddy of mine who runs a radiator repair shop. He fixed it in no time for me. Much Much cheaper (for me, it was a 6-pack - not even a case!) than getting a replacement.

jmac197
05-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Ok sounds like I will have to take the core out to match it up or get it fixed. I was hoping to go down to the boat and just R&R the core.

What size are the hoses? 1" I think. Can anyone confirm this? I want to buy a splice to put the hose ends together.

Thanks
Jim

WTRSK1R
05-31-2006, 09:17 AM
My boat has a Heatercraft 2 outlet heater, and the hose size is 5/8 inch. A friend has the 3 outlet Heatercraft heater and it too has 5/8 hose. So my guess is that as long as your heater is made by heatercraft, it will probably be 5/8 inch hose.

Steve

jmac197
05-31-2006, 09:44 AM
What was I thinking 1 inch.....the raw water intake is 1 1/4"

I just looked at the Skidim site at the Y adapters, guess what size the heater connection is....5/8s. This site rocks!

Thanks for all your responses. When I'm done I'll bump this thread with the actual core that I used.

Later
Jim

88 PS190
05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
A decent radiator repair shop should fix it, they tend to use this aluminum solder stuff, works pretty well.

Though our local one repaired a leg to our lift, and their aluminum seems to be less ductile and developed stress cracks. So just use them for your heater core...