PDA

View Full Version : Belts squelling

Flatwaterfooter
05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Got out in the boat finally this weekend to find that the belts are squelling. In the past it has happened at idle, when cold. Once you kick it up it would go away. Now it seems to be happening all the time. Tension on the belts seem good any thoughts

bigmac
05-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Got out in the boat finally this weekend to find that the belts are squelling. In the past it has happened at idle, when cold. Once you kick it up it would go away. Now it seems to be happening all the time. Tension on the belts seem good any thoughts

My boat did that, started squealing all the time, shortly after it was new. Turned out to be that 2 out of 3 bolts on the alternator has snapped.

If tension is OK, the most likely cause of squealing is glazing on the belt. If your belt(s) are glazed, probably time to replace them. Even a little glazing will cause squealing, and if everything else checks out, that's probably the cause. You could try shooting a little belt dressing as a diagnostic maneuver.

ted shred
05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I have had this happen a lot in the past. What worked for me was buying the belts that have the notches cut across them. Then one day when I had some time I hand sanded the inside of the pulleys with some medium grit sandpaper to get rid of any slick spots. So far its working.

SkiDog
05-30-2006, 08:46 PM

Spellcheck!

east tx skier
05-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Had my water pump belt squeal on starup for a while. Bought a $10 belt and paid my auto mechanic $10 to replace it. No more squeal.

rodltg2
05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
the conxgutsiglieyrte is back? looks like erkle didnt have enough time to pass you up...

ive used a bar of soap and held it agianst the belt while spinning. its a temp fix..

east tx skier
05-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi Rod. I had a hell of a week(end). Good times. Not back in country yet, but I'll be in tomorrow.

Flatwaterfooter
05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Spellcheck!

I will work on that just for you

LakePirate
05-31-2006, 01:42 AM
Check and make sure all of your pulleys are aligned.

Mine was doing this and I discovered that a spacer was missing off of the alternator. Replaced the spacer and no more squeal.

pkskier
05-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Squelling belts is usually a sign of old belts, replace the belts and the squelling will quit.