PDA

View Full Version : Boat Pulling to the Right? Any help would be great!!

excetara2
05-29-2006, 06:53 PM
I am the second owner of a 2003 197. I got it this winter and didn't have a chance to try it until this weekend. I got it out there and it has a strong tendancy to pull to the right. If left going straight will pull to the right. Anyone know what the problem could be and how to fix it? Thanks and any help would be good.

rodltg2
05-29-2006, 06:55 PM
it supposed to do that. that boat was designed for the ski course. check your rudder and center the adjustable tab if you prefer a neutral rudder.

stevo137
05-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Don't worry about it if it's not excessive, it's normal.

bigmac
05-29-2006, 07:26 PM
As the others mention, it's normal for a ski boat to pull to the right as it makes it easier for a driver to steer straight through a set of slalom bouys. If you don't use your boat regularly on a slalom course and find the right-pull annoying (I would), then you can tune the rudder. If you don't have a tunable rudder, you can tune it manually by taking a belt sander or file to the trailing edge. In your case, grinding a fraction off the left side of the trailing edge will reduce the pull to the right.

This subject comes up fairly often. Look at this thread... (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3599&highlight=sand+rudder+trailing+edge) and look at this article in WaterSki Magazine... (http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=12220&typeID=123&categoryID=162)

excetara2
05-29-2006, 09:11 PM
A little pull I would like. The pull seems excessive. I might want to adjust it a little bit, so how do I know if I have an adjustable rudder. I know there is a piece at the back of the rudder that allen wrenches can go in. It isn't the whole back length only at the very top. Thanks for the help.

Hoosier Bob
05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Send me a PM with a fax number as I do this often. Remember to shave a little as too much happens quickly. Refreshing as it seems to have been awhile since someone has asked! :D A little pull I would like. The pull seems excessive. I might want to adjust it a little bit, so how do I know if I have an adjustable rudder. I know there is a piece at the back of the rudder that allen wrenches can go in. It isn't the whole back length only at the very top. Thanks for the help.

rodltg2
05-29-2006, 09:29 PM
thats the tab, just loosen the bolts and center the tab..

excetara2
05-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Won't get to use her until Friday. I will try to loosen the bolts and center it a little more to see what happens. I don't have a fax number.