PDA

View Full Version : engine dies when I stop turning the Key???

pwillcutts
05-29-2006, 04:01 PM
help!
mY 1990 TriStar with a 351 won't start! Here's the timeline of my perils this holiday weekend:

1. Installed NEW DIE HARD MARINE DEEP CYCLE battery 2 days ago.
2. Ran the boat all day, then it died at the end of the day - battery dead already !!???
3. Used a charger on it, and got it to turn over, but it dies as soon as I stop turning the key. (The starter is firing and turning the engine)
4. Bad Alternator?? Took it out, had my marina clean it up & test it, & they say it is fine.
5. Reinstalled alternator & charged battery.
6. same problem as #3.......dies as soon as the key is stopped turning. :mad: :mad:

Anyone have any ideas on this one?
Thinking it might be a kill switch gone bad???
hmmmmmmmmm........
THANKS!
ps: none of the guages are reading anything at alll....but the radio works, bilge, etc...

jayderwin1
05-29-2006, 04:41 PM
you probably got a bad battery

Hunterb
05-29-2006, 05:11 PM
I think you have one of two possible problems. 1) Your ignition switch is hooped. 2) The wire,or wires, from the 'run' position on the back of your ignition switch have come off, broken, or for some reason are not making contact.

Either of those will cause the symptoms you are describing. The reason it starts when you turn the key to 'start' is that the old systems have an orange wire running from the starter solenoid to the coil that is energized when the key is in the 'start' position effectively bypassing the 'run' position on the key. As soon as you move the key back to the 'run' position the coil will have no power and the engine will die. This will also cause the gauges to not work, but the othe stuff (radio, bilge) will work.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd bet the farm that you will fix your problem by replacing your ignition switch, or hooking the wires back up to the one you've got.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Bruce

TMCNo1
05-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Had the exact same problem a couple years ago, it was a bad kill switch. Even though the clip was on the kill switch it was not making contact for the engine to run after you turn the key off start.

pwillcutts
05-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the tips.
So tomorrow i plan to remove the kick board under the dash and inspect the ignition switch wiring, possibly replace the ignition switch.

If it is the KILL switch, how easy is it to remove / bypass the kill switch. i never ever use that thing anyway.

THANKS

Hunterb
05-30-2006, 02:40 AM
If it is the kill switch all you have to do is take the two wires off (purple ones) and stick them together. It's that easy.

Bruce

pwillcutts
05-30-2006, 11:34 PM
easier said than done....
I tried to get to the ignition & kill switches tonight to remedy my issue....BUT,

I thought I'd have full access to the guts behind the dash, once I removed the kick board. Until I come to find out that the electronics of the dash are sandwiched behind the black exterior dash and another layer of fiberglass panel under the dash.

So now it looks like I'll need to remove the steering wheel to get the exterior dash board off. Does that sound right? or am I missing something really obvious ?? :confused:
THANKS

whitedog
05-31-2006, 09:19 AM
You should beable to remove the small pannel that the switches are mounted in from the front side.

pkskier
05-31-2006, 11:53 AM
You need to remove the entire dash panel to get to the electronics, if you remove the small panel it has nuts on the back side and you can't get to them.

pwillcutts
05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
You need to remove the entire dash panel to get to the electronics, if you remove the small panel it has nuts on the back side and you can't get to them.

And to remove the dash, I need to remove the Steering wheel, right?

Thanks

pkskier
05-31-2006, 01:48 PM
I have an '87 TriStar and have removed the dash without removing the steering wheel. Haven't figured out how the steering wheel comes apart.

pwillcutts
05-31-2006, 01:59 PM
I have an '87 TriStar and have removed the dash without removing the steering wheel. Haven't figured out how the steering wheel comes apart.
Gotcha....might just be my model year. My Steering wheel assembly blocks the dash panel from coming off.

Hoff1
05-31-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm not familiar with your dash layout, but Iím assuming you donít have a panel for your ignition switch and kill switch like this one do you? I replaced my ignition switch and bypassed my kill switch by removing this panel.

But, as others suggested I would expect it to be one of these two culprits. I had problems with both of mine.

pwillcutts
05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm not familiar with your dash layout, but Iím assuming you donít have a panel for your ignition switch and kill switch like this one do you? I replaced my ignition switch and bypassed my kill switch by removing this panel.

But, as others suggested I would expect it to be one of these two culprits. I had problems with both of mine.

That's a much more service-friendly design than mine, unfortunately for me. I don't have that screw out panel for just the ignition & kill switch. mine is embedded into the entire dash panel. grrrrrrrr..... :mad: But I'm determined to bypass that kill switch...seems like a useless apendage to me !

Hoff1
05-31-2006, 04:58 PM
But I'm determined to bypass that kill switch...seems like a useless apendage to me !

It started becoming a hazard on my boat when my friends dogs were always knocking it loose at the wrong time. You don't tell a 90 lb doberman that she's got to move easily.

pwillcutts
05-31-2006, 09:42 PM
KILL SWITCH IS GONE !
Thanks for the tips guys....that did the trick.....my gauges came alive, and the engine turned over and stayed that way when i released the key. This site is such big help....SOOO CLUTCH !!!!!! THANKS !

Now.....onto my other engine problem....which I had BEFORE the kill switch problem.....

My Engine turns over well the first time, then second time hesitates on the first turn of the engine but then starts, 3rd time it starts real weak but manages to turn over.....then the 4th or 5th time it just gives a half turn and dies.....ugh !!!! :rant:

but that issue probably should start a new thread....