PDA

View Full Version : WI ski laws? Flags? Spotters?

ksdaoski
05-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Fairly new to WI, not sure on all the laws.

Do you need a spotter? I know in some states, just having the mirror is enough.

Do you need to carry a skier down flag?

Thanks-

bigmac
05-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Fairly new to WI, not sure on all the laws.

Do you need a spotter? I know in some states, just having the mirror is enough.

Do you need to carry a skier down flag?

Thanks-

Wisconsin boating regulations HERE (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/docs/BoatingRegs.pdf)

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/docs/BoatingRegs.pdf

ksdaoski
05-29-2006, 08:49 AM
great thanks! looks like i need a spotter

JimN
05-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Now, all we need is the regulations on personal watercraft operation and the minimum distance between a PWC and a ski boat, rope or skier.

jlf
05-30-2006, 08:50 AM
No flag needed, but you have to have a spotter even if you have a mirror. You can only pull someone behind the boat from sunrise to sunset. No night riding in WI. The spotter thing sucks!!

bigmac
05-30-2006, 09:01 AM
No flag needed, but you have to have a spotter even if you have a mirror. You can only pull someone behind the boat from sunrise to sunset. No night riding in WI. The spotter thing sucks!!

Does Wisconsin have some kind of regulation about line length? It came up in another thread...there was apparently an overzealous Wisconsin water-patrol officer that told a guy that wake surfing was illegal because the tow line length was too short. I've never heard of that. I would have been inclined to call bu11sh** on the "officer", but if the "offender" doesn't live in the area, fighting it out in court can be problematic.

jlf
05-30-2006, 09:26 AM
I guess I don't know. Might be something to look into since we've been kicking around a surfboard. I wonder if that would apply to anything off the boom too then?

3event
05-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Bigmac, good question about wake surfing. I have avoided trying it when THE MAN is out on the lake. I would bet that if you throw the rope back into the boat and freeride it could be deemed illegal for operating a powerboat too close to "swimmer" or similar. The MAN is not out a lot on our lake so we will probably be OK unless an overzealous resident calls in to report us (it has happened before...)

#47of100TeamMC
05-30-2006, 09:56 AM
I just found out this spring that it is mandatory to have a spotter in your boat regardless if you have a mirror in WI. which sucks, and we are also a bit lucky, since all last year my wife and I skied on WI lakes with just the 2 of us. (oops.) nobody turn us in ok! I wonder if I could get by with just the 2 of us if I insist I'm a skitzso and the face in the mirror is my evil twin.?

ksdaoski
05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
well because of the 3rd party law, if anyone ever wants to hit Pewaukee, send me an email, I'm always up for it. I just live across the street from the lake, and can have the boat in the water in about 10mins....home from by 6 usually, any weekend...OR...it was glass this AM! I'd be down for a 6:00am trip....

rodltg2
05-30-2006, 01:19 PM
I just found out this spring that it is mandatory to have a spotter in your boat regardless if you have a mirror in WI. which sucks, and we are also a bit lucky, since all last year my wife and I skied on WI lakes with just the 2 of us. (oops.) nobody turn us in ok! I wonder if I could get by with just the 2 of us if I insist I'm a skitzso and the face in the mirror is my evil twin.?

i think that will also work for UMP/

#47of100TeamMC
05-30-2006, 01:19 PM
where's Pewaukee?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-30-2006, 01:39 PM
where's Pewaukee?
Not far from Oconomowoc. :D

#47of100TeamMC
05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Not far from Oconomowoc. :D

I knew I should have paid more attention in geography. :rolleyes:

MasterCrafting
06-01-2006, 07:28 PM
There is no minumum line length in wisconsin. I called the DNR, Kenosha County Sherriffs office, and the village i was stopped in. They all confirmed that the cop was full of crap. So, nothing to be worried about. Enjoy the surfing...