PDA

View Full Version : Gas spillage

TOO-TALL
05-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Does anyone have a secret to keep the gas from spitting back out the filler at the gas pump and all over the side of the boat :mad:
I've tried running the pump slow,listening for the gas to backup in the filler neck both work O.K.

brianaw26
05-28-2006, 11:21 PM
No :) I have seen people hold a little bucket by the hole while someone else does the gas. I think that would work, but once you start moving a little, gas is bound to come out the hole anyway all over the boat, so my answer is no.

6ballsisall
05-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I turn the key to the on position while filling up and watch the gauge rise as I fill the tank. As it comes up on 3/4 full I slow down and run the pump by hand and not on the auto positions. Works well for me.

Farmer Ted
05-29-2006, 12:36 AM
grab a handfull of paper towels or a towel that you don't mind getting fuel on

bundle the paper towels up and rest the fuel nozzle on them to form a seal that covers the nozzle usually the lower 2/3 of the filler cap opening

don't fill the gas tank balls to the wall, only squeeze the hanlde about 1/2 way

listen

listen carefully

when the tank starts getting full you can hear it

the nozzle will automatically shut off when the gas gets to the filler neck, but since you only had the handle 1/2 way the volume of gas that is entering your tank is not as much and the potential for spill is decreased

paper towels
open nozzle 1/2 way
listen

Leroy
05-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I use the JR trick and just fill a little over 3/4, with 61 gal tank that is OK with me! I could never run it slow enough that it wasn't a spewing volcano.

Hoosier Bob
05-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Best was I have found! I agree with Jeff. My float will stick so I rock the boal back and forth gently while filling. Keeps the float free and helps me bond with my boat. :D
I turn the key to the on position while filling up and watch the gauge rise as I fill the tank. As it comes up on 3/4 full I slow down and run the pump by hand and not on the auto positions. Works well for me.

6ballsisall
05-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Best was I have found! I agree with Jeff. My float will stick so I rock the boal back and forth gently while filling. Keeps the float free and helps me bond with my boat. :D

As long as it just rocking it I suppose thats ok HB. Anything more and I think you'd be scaring the kids at the gas station! :D

ted shred
05-29-2006, 11:35 PM
I do the same thing as jrandol. never fails.

Hoosier Bob
05-29-2006, 11:40 PM
But it feels so gooooood! ;) Does it help to know that I am screaming, "Oh yeah That is my MC yeah my MC can you feel it, can you feel it? :D
As long as it just rocking it I suppose thats ok HB. Anything more and I think you'd be scaring the kids at the gas station! :D

tex
05-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Call DIM. They have the fix.

Hoosier Bob
05-29-2006, 11:50 PM
You have to elaborate? Is there a fix other than putting your finger in the o-flow/vent? :o Call DIM. They have the fix.

tex
05-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Call them and tell them your issue. Either this will work on your great MC too or they have a simular one that will.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG-50

bigmac
05-30-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm confused...I understand the gas spewing problem, but I thought he was talking about splashing back out the filler, not the overflow vent. In fact, do the EFI engines even HAVE an overflow vent?

That Lifeguard fuel/air separator would be great for my I/O, but I don't get how it would eliminate the splash-back from the fuel filler neck on my MariStar/MCX..

tex
05-30-2006, 12:22 AM
I read that it helps with both problems.

DanC
05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
US Boats did some very controlled test but I can't find the old article.

There are two types of filling systems, seperate vent lines and vented deck fills.
Bottom line. The Racor model LG-100 fuel/air seperator worked every time (not the Racor model LG-50) for those with seperate vent lines.
For those of us with newer boats and the vented deck fills, we are screwed.

The vented deck fill is a good concept, but we only recommend these products if you use them with caution. The vented deck fills did not promote backsplash as much as some of the inline separators did, but we were surprised by the fuel that found its way onto our decks. .........In general, we found that while refueling at 10 gpm, the amount of fuel from the venting process wasn’t significant enough to trip the auto shut-off fuel nozzles. Many times, the auto-stop feature disengaged just as the fuel reached the top of the deck fill, so the spills were contained to only a few ounces. However, none of the devices tolerated the high-speed fuel delivery at 20 gpm and sometimes spilled as much as a cup or more from the deck fill. Fuel would often continue to gurgle up and onto the deck, even after the nozzle clicked off. Additionally, because these deck fills have integrated vents, the nozzle opening was snug which made them prone to misting the deck with fine droplets of fuel.
As with the inline separators, we’ve learned you should never rely on the auto-stop nozzle triggering off in time. You will want to use an absorbent fuel collar, bib or pad to catch droplets, but do keep in mind this will restrict your ability to see what’s happening in and around the vent area. Also, always fuel slowly as you reach the top of your tanks.
unquote

DanC
05-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Read this whole thread
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2763&highlight=fill+boat

After three years of refinement, I have found F Ted's method to be the most effective.

sizzler
05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
LPG.......
1.attach hose....
2.press start
3.tank full
4.pump stops
5.dis-engage hose

drive off :toast:

stevo137
05-30-2006, 12:39 PM
HB, you should get the electronic sender, no floats, works great.

captain planet
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
grab a handfull of paper towels or a towel that you don't mind getting fuel on

bundle the paper towels up and rest the fuel nozzle on them to form a seal that covers the nozzle usually the lower 2/3 of the filler cap opening

don't fill the gas tank balls to the wall, only squeeze the hanlde about 1/2 way

listen

listen carefully

when the tank starts getting full you can hear it

the nozzle will automatically shut off when the gas gets to the filler neck, but since you only had the handle 1/2 way the volume of gas that is entering your tank is not as much and the potential for spill is decreased

paper towels
open nozzle 1/2 way
listen

I do what Farmer does.

TOO-TALL
05-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Why can't boat manufactures put on a gas filler neck like a car has????.The pump nozzel just fits in and no back wash.

H20skeefreek
05-31-2006, 12:09 AM
i just fill the tank, no issues on an '80's MC.

BuoyChaser
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
i just fill the tank, no issues on an '80's MC.
i agree my '85 S&S is so easy to fill...stand on the back platform and pour her in...even if you do spill, the deck is tapered so it pours towards back rather than into the interior...

whereas on the '05 you can only fill from the outside and the hole is at an angle towards the back...if you overfill goes right between the rear seat the and storage compartment...not pretty or a good feeling...

88 PS190
05-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Since we have lifts (and don't want to pay the marina 3.50 + tip the fullservice chick, we just use cans from the marina and since we don't want to carry enough cans to fill both boats fully we never have either full... really helps those ski wakes to only have 12 gallons at a time in the rear.

BuoyChaser
05-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Since we have lifts (and don't want to pay the marina 3.50 + tip the fullservice chick, we just use cans from the marina and since we don't want to carry enough cans to fill both boats fully we never have either full... really helps those ski wakes to only have 12 gallons at a time in the rear.
i agree with lifts makes a great setup for boat gas filling, but trying to find the old rubbermaid gas cans flexible spouts, love the cans just can't find them anywhere...they were only $5 each when i bought them, ohh 6yrs ago...not get these junk cans with hard spouts...

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 02:29 PM
i agree with lifts makes a great setup for boat gas filling, but trying to find the old rubbermaid gas cans flexible spouts, love the cans just can't find them anywhere...they were only $5 each when i bought them, ohh 6yrs ago...not get these junk cans with hard spouts...
did a search on google for "rubbermaid gas can spout" and came up with this great resource on eBay:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowAllQuestions&requested=856070f007a685c3&iid=7616831043&frm=2439&redirect=0&ShowASQAlways=1&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI

this replacement spout might work:
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/11-20-accessories/gas-can-spillsaver-spout-109348.aspx#features

Blitz is all you can get at local True Value or WalMart or anywhere for that matter...heard they were the only ones to negotiate with WalMart and be built in China, whereas Rubbermaid refused to go to china and negotiate with WalMart, that's why they lack the presence...

wakebroad
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Don't know if you've found the answer to the problem yet, but we had this same problem with our X-10. We have an X-Star now and it doesn't do this....praise the lord!
We used to guess about how many gallons it would hold and then look into the hole and you can see and hear when it's almost to the top.
Yes, it really sucks when that gas blows out. The first time we got gas in the X-Star we were celebrating around the pump. People probably thought we won the lottery!!! :D

theDano
06-06-2006, 09:55 PM

That's exactly what I do....does the trick with no spills yet ;)

When you check the guage before you start filling up you will know about how many gallons she needs.....course yours will be different but mine is 6.25 per 1/4. Once the guage ticks between 3/4 and Full I slow down and add about 3 gallons.....and all is good.

skitilldark
06-08-2006, 12:10 AM
I just take a towel and wrap it tightly around the pump nozzle so that when it does spill, the towel catches everything and it keeps it from spilling down the side of the boat. another related complaint; how hard would it be to have fillers on both sides of the boat? It aggrevates me that my tow vehicle fills on the opposite side than the boat!

88 PS190
06-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey bouy... Make a beer bong... for your boat.

I'm serious about this one, you can use flexible rubber hosing to run to the boat's fuel fill, and then you can poor into a funnel beer bong style from the dock, no spillage.

Those hard nozzle things are the worst, particularly when they develop little holes and cracks, or if the can slips and the hard nozzle pops right out... then you're done.

BuoyChaser
06-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Hey bouy... Make a beer bong... for your boat.

I'm serious about this one, you can use flexible rubber hosing to run to the boat's fuel fill, and then you can poor into a funnel beer bong style from the dock, no spillage.

Those hard nozzle things are the worst, particularly when they develop little holes and cracks, or if the can slips and the hard nozzle pops right out... then you're done.
:confused: what's a Beer Bong??? :confused:

think i lost those gray cells, so don't remember them, but pictures say i do...

what a great idea!!!