PDA

View Full Version : Using Protection

kycat2007
05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Hey guys,
I am still relatively new to boating and I am curious about how you rig your fender protectors and the front of the nose of the boat. I pulled in this weekend to a dock and the fender rubber bouies wouldn't protect the boat in the areas I needed it to. I turned the boat around to have the rear facing the dock which was better. Do you guys ever use the fenders with the suction cups on them to stick to window?
The front of the boat got some wear right at the bumper guard that goes all away around the boat. Can this be replaced if needed?
:wavey:
thanks
Brad

bigmac
05-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey guys,
I am still relatively new to boating and I am curious about how you rig your fender protectors and the front of the nose of the boat. I pulled in this weekend to a dock and the fender rubber bouies wouldn't protect the boat in the areas I needed it to. I turned the boat around to have the rear facing the dock which was better. Do you guys ever use the fenders with the suction cups on them to stick to window?
The front of the boat got some wear right at the bumper guard that goes all away around the boat. Can this be replaced if needed?
thanks
Brad
If you mean the rub rail insert, is it actually gouged with rubber missing, or just scarfed up with white stuff from rubbing? I get white marks along the rub rail all the time from the PVC tubing that slips over the guides on my boat lift. They scrub off fairly easily with some Brillo pads. Brillo pads also work well if your rub rail insert is stainless steel.

The answer to your question is yes, the rub rail insert is replacable. It's actually not all that expensive from the MC dealer and goes in fairly easily with a rubber mallet and maybe a little heat from a heat gun.

The rub rail is two parts - a solid poly main piece that is held in by the same screws that hold the deck to the hull through the "shoe box" overlap, then the insert (rubber or stainless steel) that goes into the main piece. You can replace the main plastic piece too - it's a pretty tedious job, though...

I use fairly long inflatable fenders covered with nylon and I use bungee loops to hold them to the pop-up cleats fore and aft. I then snub the stern line down tighter than the foreward line to keep the bow from drifting in and hitting the dock.

Depending on your docking situation, you could install some fender cleats in the places that you need them, if you have the balls to drill through your deck gel coat :) . I've tried the suction-cup fenders many times over the years - they don't work IMHO.

TMCNo1
05-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Lacquer thinner also works great in removing marks on the rub rail insert and won't scratch it, then apply a protectant like Armor All or 303.

Cloaked
05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey guys,
thanks
BradI use old life jackets thrown over the boat.

Yes, the rub rail may be replaced.

atlfootr
05-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey guys,
I am still relatively new to boating and I am curious about how you rig your fender protectors.And here, I thought you meant the "other" kind of protection ... my bad :o