PDA

View Full Version : Questions About X9 Ballast Tanks

sixysixss
05-28-2006, 04:41 PM
I have had my 2005 X9 for a few weeks now and actually had somebody wakeboard behind it for the first time. So we attempted to fill the front and rear ballast tanks. When the rear tank filled, the rear seat cushion would not stay in place and the front underseat cover popped out. :confused: Is it supposed to do this, or am I doing something wrong? It seems to me like it needs some sort of L-Bracket on the floor to keep the under seat cover in place, as well as something to hold the rear cushion down when the water in the ballast wants to push it up. :confused:

As for the front ballast, the light came on as though it was starting to fill, but then went out. Perhaps it blew a fuse or something. Do the front and rear ballast run off separate pumps? Does someone know where the fuses for the pumps are and where the pumps are located? :confused:

Thanks.

Rob
2005 X9 350MCX

PendO
05-28-2006, 07:48 PM
As for the rear seat, I belive there are two bungie like straps with hooks that you can clip to keep the seat in place, but that will not keep the seat from "lifting" up so I would just not fill the rear quite so full.

Separate pumps? Yes, I belive your location for the pumps is under the rear storage area (lift up the liner over the fule tank?), but I don't have your hull and can't remember from a few years ago...

and the main breaker pannel is under the dash (see page 5-3 of your boat manual, or appx that page, as my manual may not be the same as yours) ... the light going out sounds like he breaker, but be carefull about runnng them dry ... gl, someone with an X-9 is bound to post when they get off the water today:)

sixysixss
05-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I think the bungee straps are to hold the cushion when it is in the sun deck position. It is too long to hold it tight in the down position. I agree that the easy fix is to not fill the tank as full, but that just doesn't seem right. I wonder if I could wrap some straps around the ballast bag to try and limit its size -- but again, that seems to be a duct tape fix to the problem.

I found the circuit breakers. The breakers for the ballast pumps are not on the main panel -- they are right on the back side of the switches. That fixed the problem with the pump not running. I still need to find the pumps. They are either under the fuel tank, in an location that is inaccessible, or they are behind the panel on the stern. The investigation continues.

Rob
2005 X9 350MCX

DanC
05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
quote: I agree that the easy fix is to not fill the tank as full, but that just doesn't seem right.

That is the way it works. Sometimes I like to put the rear seat up in the sun deck position and fill the rear sack to capacity.

Pumps are behind the rear panel above/behind the gas tank.

vtbuehler
05-29-2006, 02:28 PM
The back seat will come up no matter what you do, the best thing to do is to make the sun deck and fill the sack make sure there is no air either sack or you will only get 3/4 full of water. The pumps are located under the back locker floor on the lip behind the fuel tank. Check to make sure you have the brass center impellers, also the both work on the same pick-up and both use the same empty line, so you can't have one fill and the other empty. If they have been sitting awhile you'll have to switch them on and off several times to get the pumps to work or try motoring forward to prime them. Anyway good luck

Diesel
05-30-2006, 10:54 AM
The pumps are behind the rear panel in the rear storage locker. Take out the floor of the rear locker, then the side panel, and there should be two screws which hold the rear panel in place. Thre are two pumps, rear and front, a distribution manifold, and a couple of backflow valves. Here are a few pics.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7002/dsc01512r3ys.jpg

Ballast Pump
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/8565/dsc02101r8ha.jpg

Manifold
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/6356/dsc02102r5fd.jpg

Diesel
05-30-2006, 10:58 AM
As for the seat issue, everyone is right, the backseat must be moved up to fill the sac completely. Since you have to have the seat up to use the factory ballast and since the factory ballast did very little to improve the wake (not enough weight) I ordered a custom 100gal model from FlyHi. Still uses the factory quick connects and works exactly the same except it is bigger.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3030/dsc01065r0zx.jpg

rlyons124
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey diesel, do you remember the dimensions of your custom rear bag and how much it cost. I want to do the same thing, it looks sweet.

Diesel
01-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Here you go. This is a diagram of how I should have made the sac. Only change I would have made was to add another drain/fill fitting. It takes quite awhile for a single ballast puppy to fill up 100gal. If I had been smart I would have put another fill/drain so I could add another ballast puppy to speed up the process.

rlyons124
01-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. That diagram is great. Do you remember how much you paid for yours? Thanks.

Diesel
01-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. That diagram is great. Do you remember how much you paid for yours? Thanks.

IIRC it was around $300 shipped.

mtb74
02-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Could you send the contact info on where you bought the Sac. I want to get one just like it. I have an 04 209 that could use a little bolstering to the wake.

Diesel
02-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Could you send the contact info on where you bought the Sac. I want to get one just like it. I have an 04 209 that could use a little bolstering to the wake.

www.barefootinternational.com

FoggyNogginz
10-21-2007, 11:12 PM
additionally, where would u go to get such a custom tank made?

sixysixss
10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
You can order them directly from Barefoot International. Their website has a "special order" form. Optionally, I went with this standard sac, which fits where the OEM rear sac sits, adds quite a bit more weight than the OEM sac, and is less expensive than a custom sac:
Pro X Series Fat Sac™ - W707
dimensions: 50 x 20 x 20 weight: 750 lbs. / 340 kg.

FoggyNogginz
03-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks much!

Ok foiler
04-01-2010, 10:23 AM
As for the seat issue, everyone is right, the backseat must be moved up to fill the sac completely. Since you have to have the seat up to use the factory ballast and since the factory ballast did very little to improve the wake (not enough weight) I ordered a custom 100gal model from FlyHi. Still uses the factory quick connects and works exactly the same except it is bigger.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3030/dsc01065r0zx.jpg

Diesel

Do you happen to know the dimensions of that bag, it looks like it fits perfectly between the speakers. My boat is at the lake in storage and will not be able to pull it out for a week or so but want to get a new bag ordered. Thanks for the help.

Ok foiler
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Nevermind, I should have kept reading.