PDA

View Full Version : Floor replacement

HHP
05-28-2006, 01:02 PM
My 1989 ProStar 190 floor around the rope pylon is in need of replacement, when i step there it bows slightly. Is there anyone out there that has any experience with flooring? Is this a job i can handle on my own with the help of another boater? Thanks Greg

pwillcutts
05-28-2006, 02:03 PM
My 1990 Tristar had a similar soft spot in the floor. I worked on it while I had the carpet getting replaced. I injected resin into the floor to deal with the rot, and also screwed down a stainless steel plate ( about 1/4" thick) onto the floor. The steel plate cost about $40 to be made by a local metal shop. The floor is now very very solid. :D

tph
05-28-2006, 02:37 PM
My 1989 ProStar 190 floor around the rope pylon is in need of replacement, when i step there it bows slightly. Is there anyone out there that has any experience with flooring? Is this a job i can handle on my own with the help of another boater? Thanks Greg

I'm restoring an '89 currently. The flooring to the front and rear of the engine spans the width of the bilge. So, it has a certain amount of flex. How much does your flooring move?

HHP
05-28-2006, 04:15 PM
I would say it bows no more than 1/4". I'm in need of some new skins so i ws looking into replacing that section of the floor during my down time. Is it necessary to remove the top section of the boat in order to get the floor exposed? Greg

pwillcutts
05-30-2006, 01:35 AM
I would say it bows no more than 1/4". I'm in need of some new skins so i ws looking into replacing that section of the floor during my down time. Is it necessary to remove the top section of the boat in order to get the floor exposed? Greg

If its like my 1990 Tri Star, the floor is made up of figerglass panels (that encase wood) that span the width of the bilge as TPH described. Remove a few screws and you can take up the panels one at a time.....My boat has three panel sections: rear of engine, in front of engine where the ski pylon is, and one more in front of that in the open bow.

My panels were carpeted seperately, so the floor screws can be removed and you can take up the floor panels with carpet attached.

Tristar87
06-04-2006, 03:40 PM
I just replaced the floor section you are speaking of in my 87 Tristar. It was very simple. 4 screws, and the panel pulls right out, you might fight it a little when you get the towards the top of the pylon. The panel was pretty rotten inside, I attempted to salvage the galss top of the panel to no avail. I replaced the whole thing using a 3/4'' piece of marine grade oak plywood, using the old panel as a template I coated the whole thing in West System epoxy and re-carpeted it. It came out good as new.

tph
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
I think replacing that floor piece on the Prostar may be more difficult. The observers seat base (which is molded into the deck) is on top of a portion of it. Also, you will need to remove the pylon.

88 PS190
06-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Eh, its a project anyone with some sawzall skill and a circular saw can accomplish, mainly just ripping stuff out and replacing it w/ marine plywood then fiberglassing it and putting carpet down above.

No one sees it but you'll know whats there...