PDA

View Full Version : Do we need another teak refinishing thread???

Mag_Red
10-11-2004, 09:27 PM
If no..........then I won't post the pictures of my project :D

H20skeefreek
10-11-2004, 09:40 PM
If no..........then I won't post the pictures of my project :D

heck, why not fire away MAG

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 12:01 AM
well..........if you insist :D
Here's the mandatory "before" shot.

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Instead of the teak cleaner, I decided to use the pressure washer method.

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Then of course, we needed to sand it with a palm sander loaded with some 120 grit.

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Looked pretty good , so I decided to apply the first coat of Starbrite Premium Golden Teak Oil. Boy did it soak that stuff up :eek: Now we're getting some where. :banana:

André
10-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Mag
Looking good so far!
Winter project for me too...Mine is white...

H20skeefreek
10-12-2004, 08:21 AM
looks great mag. I wish i had the newer style platform like that. Nice and big.

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 08:55 AM
looks great mag. I wish i had the newer style platform like that. Nice and big.Thanks! I can't believe I went the entire season without doing this. :uglyhamme Time for some more sanding and more coats of oil :headbang:

captkidd
10-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Mag, keep up the good work. It's really starting to look good.

MJDore
11-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey, mag. I also have this as a winter project. Interested to know more about the details of what you did. I notice you say you used a pressure washer instead of a cleaner. Mine is almost white so I'm wondering what would be best for me. Also, how many coats of oil did you end up applying?

In the process of taking mine off yesterday, I broke one of the spring-loaded pins that hold it in place. It's an odd looking pin and now I'm wondering where I'm going to find one. They are very fragile. Any thoughts?

Thanks....

Mag_Red
11-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey, mag. I also have this as a winter project. Interested to know more about the details of what you did. I notice you say you used a pressure washer instead of a cleaner. Mine is almost white so I'm wondering what would be best for me. Also, how many coats of oil did you end up applying?

In the process of taking mine off yesterday, I broke one of the spring-loaded pins that hold it in place. It's an odd looking pin and now I'm wondering where I'm going to find one. They are very fragile. Any thoughts?

Thanks....That sucks about the pin........not sure where to get one except maybe the dealer. YOu could probably just use a bolt. I've seen things at Home Depot, and I'm not sure what they are called, but it's basically a drilled pin with a spring clip. As far as the platform...I ended up applying three coats. Looks fantastic. :banana:

jimmer2880
11-08-2004, 12:34 PM
If it's the same pin I have on my 95... you can get them at west marine.

André
11-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey Mag
Any proofs that it looks fantastic? :D
:banana:

Mag_Red
11-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Hey Mag
Any proofs that it looks fantastic? :D
:banana: :rant:
You aren't going to make me go out to the garage and take a picture are you???? :D

André
11-09-2004, 07:58 AM
We've got pictures from every step...except the finish product...
C'mon Mag,just one!

dmac
11-17-2004, 06:49 PM
I agree, let's see the finished product. I am taking mine off this weekend and will begin the cleaning process.

During the brief portion of the season that we had the MC we would always coat it with oil before we headed home because the platform sticks out from the end of the boathouse and is exposed. This really helped keep it looking good. The Nautique across from us is nearly white, for the obvious reason.

Mag_Red
11-17-2004, 10:27 PM
:rant: Alright already! You guys never let anything just die and go away :rolleyes:

Be right Back :D

André
11-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Hurry,I'm going to bed...

Mag_Red
11-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Hurry,I'm going to bed... :rolleyes:

Mag_Red
11-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Big enough??????
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/magred//platform_1.jpg
How about this one???? 8p
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/magred//platform_2.jpg

André
11-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Nice work Mag... :worthy:
I think i will send you mine! :D

sizzler
11-18-2004, 07:29 AM
looks great mag.......i'll work out shipping and send mine as well :D

André
11-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Sizzler
Even 5000 k away,great minds thinks alike!

Mag_Red
11-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Nice work Mag... :worthy:
I think i will send you mine! :DWhen you said you were getting ready for bed....I quess you really meant it! LOL Before you all send your platforms here ......I think I better clean up that garage floor :o

dmac
11-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Looks great. Looks like you are going to be behind with all the jobs coming your way so I will handle mine.

Leroy
11-18-2004, 07:42 PM
I think you need a real challenge now Mag, mine is coming!

Man wouldn't you hate to have André as your boss! :eek:

Really nice job!

Mag_Red
11-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Bring em on! :D Even though I picked up another Custom Home builder to paint for :banana: , I could have the boys refurbish swim platforms on the occassional slow days.

dmac
11-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I started the cleaning process on mine this weekend, half a bottle of teak cleaner used in phase one. I think it needs more cleaning before I go to the next step and put brightener on it. Has anyone used that product? Is it worth the expense? :confused:

Zach S
11-22-2004, 06:24 PM
dmac,
I have used the Star Brite 3 part system. It worked pretty well. I just did a quick job and it made the deck look 100% better.

Leroy
11-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Here you go Mag. Ready to ship over for Mag's delux treatment! :D

Maybe you can help me, my platform seems to age quickly also, next pix.

Leroy
11-24-2004, 12:34 AM
I just don't get it, clean it up nice and before you know it.....

BriEOD
11-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Wow Leroy, that thing looks rough. ;)

Mag_Red
11-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Here you go Mag. Ready to ship over for Mag's delux treatment! :D

Maybe you can help me, my platform seems to age quickly also, next pix. :purplaugh Bring it down Leroy......I'm right down the road from you. Actually I would love the challenge...and let me tell you..... :rolleyes: that platform needs some TLC!!

Mag thinks you need to get a slightly larger slip. 8p

Mag_Red
11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Wow Leroy, that thing looks rough. ;) I think Leroy has been using it to filet fish :headbang:

dmac
11-24-2004, 08:24 AM
dmac,
I have used the Star Brite 3 part system. It worked pretty well. I just did a quick job and it made the deck look 100% better.
Thanks Zach, I will go to step 2 after another round with the cleaner. I also have a nearly full bottle of premium gold teak oil that will be applied throughout the down season.

Did you sand yours down like Mag?

dmac
11-24-2004, 08:27 AM
I just don't get it, clean it up nice and before you know it.....
I have the same problem in my boathouse. What is it with these builders? A couple of more feet in length and it would be problem solved. Guess it keeps us buying teak maintenance products though.

Zach S
11-24-2004, 09:56 AM
I didnt sand mine. It doesnt look quite as nice as Mags, but looks great none the less. I would post a pic but the boat is in storage. :mad:

Leroy
11-24-2004, 01:44 PM
That is very generous of you Mag, but will have this as a winter project myself. With the kids learning to put their skis on the platform and slide off they are still learning keep the fin off the teak, what's a little teak work for their fun. Next year I have to put something covering the teak in the slip.

BriEOD
11-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Leroy,

I saw in Overton's they have a cover specifically made to slip over a teak platform. It was in the back of the catalog with the custom covers.

sandsslot
12-03-2004, 11:38 PM
I completely stripped this platform, made a few repairs and hand sanded it in selected spots. I bought this 93 MC used so I don't know if it looks to be the correct tone. My old boat had a glass platform and I have no experience.
Any recommendations on how to keep it looking new? Should I restore it each winter? How many coats of teak oil should I put on it?

Thank you.

Leroy
12-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Thanks Brian; Do you, or anyone, know of anyone that has used one? Wonder if it would dry under the cover?

sandsslot
12-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Leroy:
I have a business partner that makes items like this. I know he has material that keeps the harmful rays out yet allows breathing - to your point below. I'll pursue this.

Leroy
12-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Sandsslot; Thanks, let me know. The pix I put on this topic was 2 months after it looked really good. Was called a fish cleaning board by Mag!

dmac
12-04-2004, 11:34 AM
I have a business partner that makes items like this. I know he has material that keeps the harmful rays out yet allows breathing - to your point below. I'll pursue this.

I would be very interested in hearing more about this as well, as I noted earlier in the thread I have the same problem as Leroy; more boat than cover. The Nautique across from me has one, came with the boat. Kind of funny that they cover it, I have never seen it get cleaned or oiled. :confused:

As far as yours goes, I think it looks great. The tone is good. I had a teak transom saver put on mine before I took delivery and that piece is pretty close to the color you have. I personally don't think you can put too many coats of oil on. Mag's looks excellent with three. :headbang:

DanC
12-06-2004, 12:29 PM
I have used teak platform covers made from sunbrella. They help a lot by keeping the sun off the platform. They breathe fine, just don't leave anything sitting on top of them. A little extra wear on the corners of the platform where the cover rubs, but well worth it.

sandsslot
12-08-2004, 08:30 PM
DanC, demac, Leroy, et al:

As indicated below, I did talk to my business partner about a sock-style cover that I could throw on easily. He says a proto is no problem and that he has a material that he feels will suit me just fine. I told him I would send him the dimensions of my platform and get a quote...and from what I gathered from our discussion it will be a mere pittamce to the amount of work I have in my platform on this last refurbishing.

Sounds like he has just about any color as well.
If you would like me to get an estimate for you as well, give me the dimension of your platform. I have a 93 190 S&S.

I'll report back on the cost and qulaity once I receive the cover, but knowing his quality of workmanship, it just might become an heirloom....

Leroy
12-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Thank you very much sandslot.

Attached is basic dimensions, not easy to dimension the curves. Let me know if this is ok for quote. I think I would prefer to cut out template and mail to your partner for cutting and sewing.

I think I want black if that matters for the quote.

I'm having problems posting a clean pix. SHall I email it to you?
OR
It's 68 3/4 inches across the back with 1 1/2 inch concave.
The middle is 18 7/8 inches from to back.
At point 5 inches in from the front and the side it is 66 inches across and 18 1/2 inches front to back.
It's 1 3/4 inch thick.

dmac
12-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks also Slot. I will measure my platform the next time I am at the lake. Sadly, that will not be this weekend.

I think that my dimensions are going to be the same as Leroy's. Even though my MariStar is a 210 and he has a 230, I think that the platforms are the same.

lsupcar
12-09-2004, 04:54 PM
I've recently attempted to get a platform cover for my 2001 Maristar 230 through Overton's. I was informed that they get their custom covers from www.westland-az.com , and a platform cover was not available for any mastercrafts, only malibu. I have not contacted westland directly however. If sandslot has access to a product I would be interested. Bill Z

dmac
12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Next time I am at the lake I will take a photo of the Nautique across the way because he has a cover on his platform (I think I may have said that earlier). I think it has snaps along the edge, no way would I do that to my teak. But, he doesn't oil his either.

sandsslot
12-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Leroy, demac, and Isupcar, et al:
No worries on the delays for dimensions. I plan to give him my dimensions towards the middle of next week. I think Leroy has a good idea with a template - maybe paper. If you do have dimensions and/or photos and would like an estimate, you can email them to me at dave@lakesidelift.com and I'll take them to him. If you want to mail me a template, leave that note in the email and I'll send the address.

Thank you'all for the input.

Leroy
12-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Sandslot; What is the estimated quote? Even if it is ballpark; $50, $100, $200? Thanks

sandsslot
12-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Leroy,
That's a tough question...I'm not in the upholstry-kind of business. However, I can tell you the reason I do business with this guy is because he is honest, delivers a great product and exceeds what I think is a competitive price. If you made me guess - maybe $50-60...but I really have NO idea.

I'll see if I can get in touch with him today.

sandsslot
12-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Leroy,
I'm told the price for the proposed cover will be south of $100. Once I give him my platform footprint next week, I'll let you know.

roddydog
12-20-2004, 04:59 PM
I am doing the same thing this winter and would appreciate any tips. I think mine may have been varnished or something. I Just picked up a 1990 ProStar 190 this summer and can't wait to get back on the water wit a nice and clean redone platform.
Cheers

sandsslot
12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
I too had varnish?? coated on mine. It took 14 applications of paint stripper and 8 sheet of sanpaper to get mine back in shape - but I think it was worth it.

roddydog
12-22-2004, 10:24 PM
I too had varnish?? coated on mine. It took 14 applications of paint stripper and 8 sheet of sanpaper to get mine back in shape - but I think it was worth it.
14 is insane but I may have to try it 'cus it sure looks like varnish. I also have to put in new teak plugs where the screws holes are (totally baffed)> Found a place, Jamestown Distributors, sell 100 plugs for 15 bucks. It's a little more than I need but beats getting a new one made in Thailand. $170US for the Platform and $260 to have it shipped. Thanks for the input.

dmac
12-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Leroy,
I'm told the price for the proposed cover will be south of $100. Once I give him my platform footprint next week, I'll let you know.
South of $100 sounds great. I sure don't understand why anyone would varnish a teak deck. There is something very wrong with that.

sandsslot
12-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Regarding the platform cover...I had a chance to discuss it this week. I expalined there may be a few folks interested in a cover and shared the dimensions I had from some of you. He feels it is no problem and said that since the cover he was making for me did not fit "snug", that one he is making for me should be able to stretch an additional 4-5 inches of stretch at the perimeter of it...therefore it will likely work for others.

I expect to have my cover by early next week and can take a picture. I also expect to have the available colors for these platform covers. The final price came in at $75. I would expect larger sizes to be a few more bucks.

My platform has rough dimensions of 65X18X1-3/4 inches.

Ric
12-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Mag, did you oil yours when it was new? I will get my new boat sometime this winter and am thinking I should get a few coats to it prior to heavy use this spring.

Mag_Red
12-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Mag, did you oil yours when it was new? I will get my new boat sometime this winter and am thinking I should get a few coats to it prior to heavy use this spring. NO ......I was too anxious to get it in the water. :dance: Looking back ...I probably would have applied a few coats

Ric
12-29-2004, 12:33 PM
It will be a challenge for me to wait as well

dmac
12-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I expect to have my cover by early next week and can take a picture. I also expect to have the available colors for these platform covers. The final price came in at $75. I would expect larger sizes to be a few more bucks.

My platform has rough dimensions of 65X18X1-3/4 inches.

Very cool, looking forward to the pics.

sandsslot
01-11-2005, 09:52 PM
I just received a proto cover shown below. Seems fairly snug and can accomodate larger platforms. The elastic band extends all around the cover. I plan to simply stretch it over my platform when I'm done skiing. The material is a high-grade material intended for other outdoor damp conditions and rejects ultraviolet.

I plan to ask him to include an eyelet in the unlikely event it were to blow off during incliment weather. I expect to have color swatches of available colors, if someone else were interested.

The final price was $75.

sandsslot
01-11-2005, 10:06 PM
I just received my platform cover, shown below. the picture is not a whole picture since I was limited in file size. Seems fairly snug and can accomodate larger platforms. The elastic band extends all around the cover. I plan to simply stretch it over my platform when I'm done skiing. The material is a high-grade material intended for other outdoor damp conditions and rejects ultraviolet.

I plan to ask him to include an eyelet to attach to my lift in the unlikely event it were to blow off during incliment weather. I expect to have color swatches of available colors, if someone else were interested.

The final price was $75.

lsupcar
01-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Have him sew in a velcro strap at each boat side corner to attach to each transom lifting ring. Good work and thanks. Bill Z

roddydog
01-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I would also be interested in a cover. Mine is 56"x19"x1 3/4". What is the process for getting him the cash and shipping (I am in Toronto)
Thanks, Rod

sandsslot
01-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Isupcar, roddydog et al:

Thanks for the input. I like Bill's idea of the velcro strap. I'll ask him to add two 24" one-strap piece of velcro to the cover. I'm sure the cost impact will be negligible but will advise tomorrow.

I still need to post the color swatches on my website (lakesidelift.com). Until then, if you know a general color (e.g. black, white, gray) you want and the dimensions, we're good to go. I would expect it would not take longer than a week or two to have it made. In roddydogs case, I'll use the stated dimensions but I need a color. Figure shipping to be $10.

I am having a few made for some lake buddies as well. These folks are sending the money to me at Lakeside Lift (my company) so I can process them. The address is:

Lakeside Lift
1064 Paddock Ct.
Troy, MI 48098
248-933-9433
Attn: Dave

Please include your full name & shipping address. If you have any issues with the final product, we'll get it fixed.