PDA

View Full Version : What tranny fluid?

blackbeauty02
05-26-2006, 10:58 PM
On my 92 Prostar 205? It's got the Ford Windsor engine in it with a 1:1 Velvet Drive tranny. My friend thinks it shouldn't be Mercron Dextron III I should be running. He thinks I should be running A or something. What should I be running in it? I'm gonna throw some Lucas or Friction Modifier in it. I had water in the tranny so we replaced the cooler and pumped all the fluid out and refilled several times. It's slipping still a little bit. Got any advice guys?

Tennesseeski
05-26-2006, 11:02 PM
I ran the Mercron Dextron III in my 93 205 and my 88 tri-star with no problems. That is what I plan on using in my 95 205 when I get it, unless someone here says different.

ted shred
05-26-2006, 11:12 PM
What did you have in it before? I have always used Dexron in my powerslot. If you add a friction modifier I think you will make it worse, as they a made to allow slippage.

Davo
05-26-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm runnin' 15W 40 in the tranny. It's totally new school from what I understand. :D

bigmac
05-26-2006, 11:22 PM
On my 92 Prostar 205? It's got the Ford Windsor engine in it with a 1:1 Velvet Drive tranny. My friend thinks it shouldn't be Mercron Dextron III I should be running. He thinks I should be running A or something. What should I be running in it? I'm gonna throw some Lucas or Friction Modifier in it. I had water in the tranny so we replaced the cooler and pumped all the fluid out and refilled several times. It's slipping still a little bit. Got any advice guys?
I think Dexron III (or IV if you can find it) is pretty standard. These tranmissions are very simple and I don't think the fluid is very critical. I use 15W40 in my V-drive. Reportedly Hurth was fielding some complaints about noise in the trannys at idle and their solution was to recommend 15W40 (same as boat engine) instead of ATF.

Transmission additives (like engine oil additives) are a total waste of money and effort, IMHO.

6ballsisall
05-26-2006, 11:33 PM
BB, where did you get your replacement trans from? If it was a rebuild it might require different fluid than if it was a new trans. Reason I say this is my 86' I put a new trans in and it required Dexron 5 vs. the older Dexron 3. Make sure you check on that from the place you bought the trans from.

blackbeauty02
05-27-2006, 12:59 AM
thanks guys. well i'm gonna throw the Lucas in there and Trick Shift and hopefully that will solve it. I'm gonna keep a lot of tranny fluid on me this weekend and the pump so I can at least get through the weekend.

WTRSK1R
05-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I have a 1992 Velvet Drive manual that I am looking at, and in the section on "Type of Oil" it states the following:

"Dexron II, Type F, or any hydraulic fluid which meets C-3 oil specifications. Do Not mix different brands or types of oils. If engine does not exceed 3000 RPM a premium grade 30 weight engine oil is acceptable. 40 weight and multi-viscosity oils are not recommended."

Good Luck