PDA

View Full Version : Who said boating's expensive?

FrankSchwab
05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Had a great day out on Saguaro Lake here in Phoenix yesterday. Air temp about 103, water temp about 80, very few boats (but a high proportion of idiots, as normal early in the season). Got in a few airchair runs, dragged the kids on the tube, life was good.

Then my wife dropped her 1 carat diamond wedding ring into the deepest part of the lake.

Sigh. Break Out Another (multiple) Thousands.

/frank

stevo137
05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Wow Frank! Sorry to hear it! How deep is that area? Is it hopeless?
Will insurance cover it?

Footin
05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
That stinks, is it insured? Check your home owners policy.

sizzler
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
break out the SCUBA gear frank..........sorrry to hear

bradamerry
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear that!!!! No more rings in the boat!!!!!!

rodltg2
05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
looms like she's gong swimming :D

LakePirate
05-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Rings get wrapped in the Velcro rope holder strap thingy around the pylon.

Sorry to hear that Frank.

How deep is deepest part of lake?

G-man
05-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Buy her a bigger one and when your ready for a new boat it shouldn't be a problem.

bcampbe7
05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
That sucks Frank! Sorry to hear that.
Check around, there may be a diving service that will try to retrieve the ring for a fee.
How deep was that area of the lake?

M-Funf
05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Ouch :(

I usually leave the rings at home, but sometimes guests bring them on the boat...

86Craft
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Ouch :(

I usually leave the rings at home, but sometimes guests bring them on the boat...

Your wife is a guest on your boat? Wow, I wonder if the next time my wife complains about my speed or anything, I'll just say "Your a guess on my boat, please be quite.
Then I'll duck really fast!

BrianM
05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I require that the wife leaves her Jewelry at the house. No diamonds on my boat.

Sorry for the loss.

Britt
05-26-2006, 01:47 PM
you may think this is the dumbest thing you have ever heard but...In overtons they sell those super strong magents you can tie a rope to them and drag them along the lake floor and pick up anything metal. If you knew exactly where it went in and are willing to spend an hour or two draging a magnet around the lake you may find it. They are cheap...and maybe worth a go :D

bcampbe7
05-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Gold, platinum and diamonds are not magnetic.

jraben8
05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
For something like that, at least you have a shot at finding it if it were magnetic.

Davo
05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
That bites! I donated my first wedding band to our lake....the deepest part of our shallow lake!

I'm puting my board on and the wife says "hey, your ring" so I go to toss it in the cup holder and her brother, who just got out of the water, is sitting there with his board accross his knees and turns to grab it and his board bats it perfectly right into the water. :rolleyes: Of course, I had one boot on so I couldn't dive in after it.

Now, I just have a cheapie...I'm not into the bling anyway, but I really liked that first ring. :(

M-Funf
05-26-2006, 02:03 PM
you may think this is the dumbest thing you have ever heard but...In overtons they sell those super strong magents you can tie a rope to them and drag them along the lake floor and pick up anything metal. If you knew exactly where it went in and are willing to spend an hour or two draging a magnet around the lake you may find it. They are cheap...and maybe worth a go :D

My friend dropped my keys in Don Pedro a few years back. He was getting out of the boat to go get my trailer when he dropped them. It was in about 7' of not-so-clear water. I took the boat over to the marina to get a big magnet, but he had found them by feeling around with his feet before I got back. Dang lucky on my part, it was the only set of keys :o

But then, keys are magnetic...

HEY, I've just found a new invention...Magnetic Gold and Platinum :dance: I'm getting to work on it as we speak...

3event
05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
A friend lost a 60 day old $5k engagement ring in shallow but mucky bottom water playing vball. UNINSURED! Found next day using a metal detector with a hefty bag tied around it, user floating on innertube. Still cant believe it worked. After hours of 8 people crawling around in the shallows trying to find it by hand.

But seriously, y'all have jewelry riders for your homeowner's insurance policies, right? It's not expensive and it covers any loss. Granted, you hate to make a claim but better safe than......

I normally ask all female skiers what jewelry they want to take off just before they jump in. Standard procedure on our boat. All stowed in glovebox. No one's left me with any good stuff yet though, unfortunately they all remember to take it home.

FrankSchwab
05-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, it may be insured. Called the insurance agent today; they said that yup, we HAD a rider for the insurance, but it mysteriously dropped off the policy two years ago; they don't know why. We'll be having a few discussions.

The lake is probably 100 feet or more deep where it dropped. I've been scuba diving in that lake; couldn't see the instructor if he got more than 5 feet in front of me. Ya can't see your toes if you're floating. I think it's gone.

I've been skiing for the last 15 years with a guy who's religious about collecting rings, necklaces, keys, wallets, and anything and everything else from all the guests on his boat. Guess that's one lesson I didn't learn.

/frank

Davo
05-26-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm losing faith in insurance companies lately.

Tennesseeski
05-27-2006, 09:17 AM
:rant: INSURANCE :rant: