PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bars

Mag_Red
10-10-2004, 12:22 PM
I was outside putting the final wax on the boat before I lay her up for the season. Just wondering if any one here clay bars their boat?? I just finished claying the boat and applying a coat of Meguire's NXT and the results are spectacular!!!! :banana:

Now I need to take care of that teak platform :rant: :D

Mag_Red
10-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I know this post is pointless without pics....but I let my parents borrow the digital camera :(

tph
10-10-2004, 11:41 PM
I was outside putting the final wax on the boat before I lay her up for the season. Just wondering if any one here clay bars their boat?? I just finished claying the boat and applying a coat of Meguire's NXT and the results are spectacular!!!! :banana:

Now I need to take care of that teak platform :rant: :D

I'm not familiar with this process. What is it, and where do you get the supplies?

Mag_Red
10-11-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm not familiar with this process. What is it, and where do you get the supplies? The clay can be bought at any automotive store.........it's basically a piece of clay. You wet the surface to be cleaned with some detailing spray, just to get it wet, and then rub the clay over this area. You will be amazed at all the surface impurities the clay will pick up! Automotive detailers have been using clay for years. I use it on the Vette and the truck to remoce tar and bugs. Damned I wish I had my camera back because the boat looks better than the day I bough it. I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow. :toast:

east tx skier
10-11-2004, 11:25 AM
We had an overspray problem at our office and a local detailer was charging people $325 to do a clay rub. I bought "Mother's Gold Bar" for about $14. It took about 2 hours on my Honda, but mag is right, the results are fantastic.

I've never used it on the boat. My test is to run the tops of my fingernails backwards (leading with the wrist) over the surface. If there's overspray or impurities, you'll be able to tell by doing this. So far, this test hasn't revealed anything to me that I didn't think a good wash would take care of.

I'd love to see some pics when you get them.

tph
10-11-2004, 12:03 PM
The clay can be bought at any automotive store.........it's basically a piece of clay. You wet the surface to be cleaned with some detailing spray, just to get it wet, and then rub the clay over this area. You will be amazed at all the surface impurities the clay will pick up! Automotive detailers have been using clay for years. I use it on the Vette and the truck to remoce tar and bugs. Damned I wish I had my camera back because the boat looks better than the day I bough it. I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow. :toast:

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try

captkidd
10-11-2004, 02:44 PM
O.K., I took you guys' advice and rubbed my son's Play-Doh all over my boat, and now I can't get it off and he's mad at me for using all his stuff. :confused:

Just kidding. I actually took your advice and went out and bought some of this stuff at lunch. I need to use it on my truck because the paint has some contaminants (overspray, pollen, etc.?) that I can't get off with just wax. I'll probably try it on the blue sections of my boat to remove some water spotting too. Thanks for the advice.

Mag_Red
10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Finally got the camera back....not sure if the picture shows the results or not :confused:

east tx skier
10-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Yup, that's what my car looked like (for a little while anyway). Very nice. Good stuff, but a lot of work.

captkidd
10-12-2004, 10:45 AM
You guys are definitely da bomb (whatever that means). The kit I bought was called Clay Magic, and it really is. I found it at Auto Zone for $12-13 and it was worth every cent. I started on my truck last night. It had something that looked like overspray (tiny black dots) on all the horizontal surfaces, and also a lot of little orange dots all over the truck. I have no idea what they are or where they came from (someone said that it might be pollen?). I had a local body shop guy buff it and practically all the little black specks came off, but it didn't even begin to remove the orange ones. I used the clay stuff and every single one of them came off (so far). It's very easy to use and doesn't require any real elbow grease at all (compared to waxing). I had already decided to use a buffer and some polishing compound to try to get these things off (even though I was afraid that I might damage the paint), but this Clay Magic saved me the trouble. Now I can't wait to use it on my boat.
-- the previous was an uppaid testimonial for Clay Magic. I'm Capt. Kidd and I approved this message.

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 11:27 AM
You guys are definitely da bomb (whatever that means). The kit I bought was called Clay Magic, and it really is. I found it at Auto Zone for $12-13 and it was worth every cent. I started on my truck last night. It had something that looked like overspray (tiny black dots) on all the horizontal surfaces, and also a lot of little orange dots all over the truck. I have no idea what they are or where they came from (someone said that it might be pollen?). I had a local body shop guy buff it and practically all the little black specks came off, but it didn't even begin to remove the orange ones. I used the clay stuff and every single one of them came off (so far). It's very easy to use and doesn't require any real elbow grease at all (compared to waxing). I had already decided to use a buffer and some polishing compound to try to get these things off (even though I was afraid that I might damage the paint), but this Clay Magic saved me the trouble. Now I can't wait to use it on my boat.
-- the previous was an uppaid testimonial for Clay Magic. I'm Capt. Kidd and I approved this message.Told you this stuff is da Bomb! :headbang:

captkidd
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, I want to retract my statement about the clay bars not requiring much elbow grease. As I progressed down to the quarter panels and rocker panels the work got progressively harder. Still, this stuff beats compounding.

New question: anyone know a good way to remove wax from the black plastic and rubber trim? The guy who buffed my truck also buffed the door handles and molding. I realize that it's hard to avoid doing this, but I haven't found anything yet to remove it.

bcampbe7
10-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Someone correct me if I'm worng, but I have heard that white vinegar will remove wax from plastic parts. I have never tried it myself.

ski_king
10-13-2004, 03:12 PM
New question: anyone know a good way to remove wax from the black plastic and rubber trim? The guy who buffed my truck also buffed the door handles and molding. I realize that it's hard to avoid doing this, but I haven't found anything yet to remove it.
How about kerosene and elbow grease, works for me, at least most of the time.